Home | About | Donate

In Major Speech and Ahead of Election, Sanders to Focus on 'Unprecedented and Dangerous' Threat Trump Poses to US Democracy

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/22/major-speech-and-ahead-election-sanders-focus-unprecedented-and-dangerous-threat

3 Likes

Because Sanders can put a complete sentence together?

15 Likes

Sanders is doing it because he is appealing to the progressives. No matter what Biden does or says, progressives will not be impressed. This coup is almost complete and we probably can’t stop it anyway. The Republicans are getting bolder because they don’t care anymore, no pretense. Perhaps Uncle Joe is creating policy in case a miracle happens and he is actually elected president.

9 Likes

“Nothing less than our democracy is at stake,” the senator said."

Bernie, our democracy died 20 years ago with the Judicial Coup following the 2000 stolen election. We’ve been living under this pretense of democracy ever since.

And why are you out there instead of Milquetoast Biden? He’s running a pathetic campaign. Here we have an internationally-known gangster residing in the white house and the useless Democrats are absolutely silent on this stuff. One ignored subpoena after the other, Ds are silent. Now the Supreme Court debacle and where are the Ds? Silent and or mealy-mouthed. Absolutely pathetic, but typical of the Ds. This year has been awful and it has more to do with the Ds than the Republicans. The Ds really do enjoy being used as doormats for the Rs to walk all over and to serve as their accomplices. After the thug is declared the winner, watch the Ds come out and call for a healing and "we look forward to working with him for another 4-8-12 years whatever he thinks he deserves in good bipartisan fashion. And because of the “new” Supreme Court he gets as many terms as he wants and pardoned for all of his crimes. Then his family members will replace him upon his death. One-by-one they will cycle through the white house and or the House or Senate.

17 Likes

Republicans don’t care anymore and are all in. No more playing it safe or holding a bluffing hand.
They have so much bad karma that if they lose nobody will even talk to them. They would sell their soul if they had one.

7 Likes

Not much of a democracy when the only choice we have is between a senile lying crook and a mentally ill lying crook.  Generally true at all levels above local dog-catcher for several decades.

Close, 'Barrio – but no cigar.   Democracy gasped its last breath in the early 1980’s, and lay rotting in public view for several years before its corpse was ceremoniously moved to a coffin late in 2000.  Burial services expected before 12/31/20.

13 Likes

Is there a way to fumigate the entire White House without leaving anything behind for the next occupant?

5 Likes

As Sigmund Freud observed a century ago: “most people do not really want freedom or democracy, because freedom and democracy involve responsibility and most people are frightened of responsibility”.

Freud was obviously observing GOP voters who have always wanted to consign democracy to the dust bin of history.

4 Likes

Thanks for keeping us posted on these events. I intend to watch it.

3 Likes

Not anything to say about Bill Clinton having signed our jobs and democracy and our right to regulate away in 1994, Bernie?

Truth matters. If you wanted crediblity now, why didnt you tell the truth then or now about how much the Democratic Party values democracy?

We need to undergo the Article XXI process, to be able to vote for single payer, and Biden’s proposal to expad Medicare is a trap.

Here is the text that you should have told the country.

Annex 1:
ANNEX ON FINANCIAL SERVICES (Legal Texts pp 355-358)
Scope and Definition
(a)
This Annex applies to measures affecting the supply of financial services. Reference to the
supply of a financial service in this Annex shall mean the supply of a service as defined in paragraph 2 of
Article I of the Agreement .
(b)
For the purposes of subparagraph 3(b) of Article I of the Agreement, "services supplied in
the exercise of governmental authority" means the following:
( i)
activities conducted by a central bank or monetary authority or by any other
public entity in pursuit of monetary or exchange rate policies;
(ii)
activities forming part of a statutory system of social security or public retirement
plans; and
(iii)
other activities conducted by a public entity for the account or with the guarantee
or using the financial resources of the Government.
( c)
For the purposes of subparagraph 3(b) of Article I 61 of the Agreement, if a Member allows
any of the activities referred to in subparagraphs (b)(ii) or (b)(iii) of this paragraph to be conducted by its
financial service suppliers in competition with a public entity or a financial service supplier, “services” shall include such activities.
(d)
Subparagraph 3 ( c) of Article I of the Agreement shall not apply to services covered by
this Annex.

Understanding on Commitments in Financial Services (Legal Texts pp 478-482)
Participants in the Uruguay Round have been enabled to take on specific commitments with
respect to financial services under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (here in after
referred to as the “Agreement”) on the basis of an alternative approach to that covered by the
provisions of Part III of the Agreement. It was agreed that this approach could be applied subject
to the following understanding:
( i) it does not conflict with the provisions of the Agreement;
(ii) it does not prejudice the right of any Member to schedule its specific commitments in
accordance with the approach under Part III of the Agreement;
(iii) resulting specific commitments shall apply on a most-favoured-nation basis;
(iv) no presumption has been created as to the degree of liberalization to which a Member
is committing itself under the Agreement.
Interested Members, on the basis of negotiations, and subject to conditions and qualifications
where specified, have inscribed in their schedule specific commitments conforming to the
approach set out below.
A. Standstill
Any conditions, limitations and qualifications to the commitments noted below shall be limited to
*existing non-conforming measure (Effective date: Feb 26, 1998 )

See also:

~https://www.democracynow.org/2014/6/20/a_plan_only_banksters_will_love

~https://www.citizen.org/documents/PC_Gats_Backgrounder_05-05.pdf

~https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.405.5725

~https://www.citizen.org/documents/GATS-financial-dereg.pdf

3 Likes

I’d just level it to the ground and do away with the Presidency altogether.

It’s mostly a charade anyway and costs the People way too much.

Better to spend that money on the poor, the needy, and those in ill health.

5 Likes

Maybe more than Republicans Ray ?

A thought - maybe the half who don’t vote just prefer to stay invisible - to shirk responsibility, as Freud stated.

Some are just damaged, no doubt. But I know lots of people who don’t vote and are informed and not visibly damaged -

Maybe Freud is right.

Not sure if it makes a difference - just a thought, as it has always puzzled me, that half who don’t vote.

2 Likes

Willfully Ignorant.

We all might be pleasantly surprised as I’ve seen reports that many states are reporting huge numbers of requests for mail-in ballots well in excess of the normal number of registered voters in an area indicating many of those unheard from are now interested in voting.

I’m talking 700,000 to 1 million more in some cases.

4 Likes

Well that’s one thing. But getting those ballots to where they should go, then having them fairly, honestly and accurately counted, tabulated on a corrupt and hackable voting system which has been well-documented is another – if they’re counted at all! – where the outcome would seem to already be clear to realists. The wishful-thinkers think otherwise. If the selection goes to the far-right/fascist Supreme Court with its newly seated far-right/anti-choice/pro-birth “justice,” the thug will of course automatically be selected.

2 Likes

This should be good too…

~https://www.debates.org/2020/09/22/moderator-announces-topics-for-first-presidential-debate-2/

Sept 22, 2020

The first presidential debate will be held on Tuesday, September 29 at Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH. The format for the first debate calls for six 15-minute time segments dedicated to topics announced in advance in order to encourage deep discussion of the leading issues facing the country.

Chris Wallace, (~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wallace) moderator of the first 2020 presidential debate, has selected the topics for that debate.

Subject to possible changes because of news developments, the topics for the September 29 debate are as follows, not necessarily to be brought up in this order:
The Trump and Biden Records
The Supreme Court
Covid-19
The Economy
Race and Violence in our Cities
The Integrity of the Election

All debates start at 9:00 p.m. ET and run for 90 minutes without commercial interruption.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a pretty amazing statistic. When I walked this last fall/spring I met plenty of people refusing to vote. Nothing changes for the better, no matter who is in charge at the White House, so why should they bother? I don’t blame them, but then would tell them that people (Juan Vargas, to be precise) won with two votes per precinct. That they are just as powerful as David Koch when they vote (I got the wrong Koch brother, but it didn’t matter, since they didn’t know who they were, anyway), and then came the story of Horton Hears a Who. I think that may have gotten them interested. “You never know where the tipping point is,” I’d say. Just one more teensy vote.

I mean, when you’re hopeless? And you’ve given up? And look at us. It’s so hard to have hope these days. But we’ve got to do what we can. Today I called with Sunrise into Texas for Julie Oliver. I had so much fun talking to the most excellent people, and they treated me like not-a-stranger. Yes, some people say, when I say Julie’s a democrat, “I’m not interested” and hang up, but that’s OK. So, I don’t care if you vote for that stinking Roger Williams. And how can they say he’s the richest Congressperson? Nancy Pelosi and her husband are worth over one hundred million! That’s a lot of zeroes! And here are people just barely scraping by.

I’m glad there’s renewed interest in being involved. That truly is heartening.

3 Likes

Another big speech from Bernie? Oh great!!!

If he feels so strongly, why didn’t he act boldly in the primary? If Bernie believes what he says about Trump, why did he not point out that it was risky to put a senile guy with 40 years awful baggage up against him? I’m done taking the advice of people who, after urging us to vote for Hillary, now urge us to vote for Biden because change is needed. The only thing democrats actually fight Trump with is words. We need to break up this political trust in service only to wealth. A Biden win leaves the wrong people in charge of the party, that is the greater evil this year.

I’d rather 4 more Trump years than the risk of 12 Biden/Harris years. We might survive 4, never 12.

6 Likes

~https://news.antiwar.com/2020/09/22/pentagon-gave-coronavirus-aid-money-to-defense-contractors/

2 Likes

Nothing on climate change?

6 Likes