Home | About | Donate

In NAACP Speech, Obama Calls for Sweeping—and Unprecedented—Prison Reform

In NAACP Speech, Obama Calls for Sweeping—and Unprecedented—Prison Reform

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

In a speech to the annual convention of the NAACP in Philadelphia on Tuesday, U.S. President Barack Obama made the case for criminal justice reform that, at its most noteworthy points, candidly addressed the effects of overpolicing, the scourge of mass incarceration, and the impact of institutional racism.

obama's good for speeches but i'll see it when i believe it

I don't suppose Obama would read John Kiriakou's article on CD today, or any other article here probably:

Published on
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
by OtherWords
Correcting Unfair Sentencing Laws
The government should stop locking up nonviolent drug offenders for decades.
byJohn Kiriakou

Presidents get their marching orders from the same CIA that persecuted John Kiriakou. JFK didn't and Poppy Bush taught them all a lesson.

BTW, Are we ready for another Bush dynasty?

Dubya quote: Some people call you the elites; I call you my base.

We do need dramatic reforms, but the reality is, we have developed a system that has made the prison population very profitable for our leading corporations, largely via the use of cheap prison labor. There is an additional issue that, I think, probably is not politically correct to note, but remains relevant. As hellish as American prisons have become, they are the only option left for a chunk of our population. Beyond basic survival (food, shelter, medical care), prison offers at least a chance of being able to access adequate medical care, education and job skills training. A chance of a future.

I know middle classers don't know much about poverty. The US shipped out a huge share of our jobs since the 1980s, and ended actual welfare in the 1990s. The last I heard, there are 7 jobs for every 10 people who are desperately searching for one. What do you think happens to those who are left out? Once you no longer have a home address, phone, bus fare -- you're out. You can't get a job. You either die, or do whatever you must to survive.

Maybe younger people don't know, but from the 1970s onward, this (our massive prison system) is what our middle class have demanded.

Legalize drugs. Problem solved.

Legalize direct democracy. Most problems solved.

The middle class demanded whatever the oligarchy's mind control media wanted them to. The Internet is changing things, therefore the oligarchy wants to control the Internet.

Defend net neutrality.

Obama probably won't like this but what he is advocating is endorsed by nothing less than the United States Constitution, or 'that God damn piece of paper' as Bush the Younger phrased it, our agreement with ourselves, The fact is Art. VI, VII and VIII are all very strongly devoted to the rights of accused and the methods of conviction and rights of those found guilty. The law and its relation to those accused of breaking it was a major issue with the founding fathers, due the abuses they had noted.

Article [VIII] (Amendment 8 -
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
taking a man [or woman] and locking them away from family contact and congenial visits is no the norm but way back when that would have been considered cruel and I think so today as well.

I could probably name 100 things that Obama has CALLED FOR in oh-so-sincere and seemingly heartfelt language and then turned around and DONE just the opposite in the service of his corporate masters.

...unconstitutional wiretapping, protecting whistleblowers, drone murdering innocent women and children by the hundreds, oil drilling vs clean renewables, Wall Street crimes, protecting torturers, taxing the rich...and lots lots more.

It amazes me that progressives even listen to anything he has to say anymore.

Watch only what they DO, not what they SAY.

The prison system is broken...it will take a lot more than words to fix it.

NOONE ought be sentenced to more than 20 years unless proved to be a CONTINUING threat. NOONE ought be subjected to solitary isolation. If too dangerous, such convicts could be housed together but segregated from the "gen-pop". I do not remeber ANY president or major candidate for office holder ever daring to counter the constant drumbeat of law and order, tough on crime, zero tolerance, three strikes mentality, at least since Nixon. Finally, someone with a real bully-pulpit uttering the notion that education ought be of greater importance in prisons than punishment. That those who are released from incarceration need to have rights restored to them, have some means to survive outside of crime rather than just dumped on a conveyor belt back to prison. Obama is not "all that and a side of fries", but he's a damn sight better than his predecessors...all of them.

A small drink of cloudy water in a vast desert is still a drink.

Three hots and a cot, yes. But the education and skills training are in evidence only marginally...the attitude being why should they get a free education when my kid can't go to college? The fact that we all benefit from one more contributing citizen who is at least self-sufficent as well as one less recidevist to process in and out of prisons seems never to occur to some. While the medical care may be better than the street, I imagin the focus is on those who need mental health care...since we emptied the state hospitals and mental institutions...with middle class liberals and progressive blessings...and dumped them onto the street where they remain, until or unless sent to prison. But, yes...our prisons are also out homeless camps and mental health facilities.

Political bull shit! I'll believe it when I see it.