Home | About | Donate

In Name of Transparency, Not Partisan Sniping, Snowden Backs Call to #ReleaseTheMemo

In Name of Transparency, Not Partisan Sniping, Snowden Backs Call to #ReleaseTheMemo

Julia Conley, staff writer
NSA whistleblower calls on Trump to veto reauthorization of spying law if claims of abuses are found to be true

Why did you not name Trump, Tillerson, McConnell, Ryan eta l.

I can’t argue with your list, except to say it’s incomplete without every president going back to Jimmy Carter.

Like your vigilante spirit. Lynch much?

I could give two shits about Obama spying on Trump, except to the extent that Obama spied on all of us–that’s the outrage–as did Bush before him. This isn’t about the Democrats vs the Republicans, it’s about the Democrat and Republican parties and the donor class vs We the People. We can’t vote our way out of the mess both parties created for two reasons: the parties have so effectively divided us, and neither party offers up good candidates with real solutions.

Thank you for qualifying my conclusion.

Wait … What about Richard Nixon …?
Maybe I’m really fuzzy on this, but it seems to be that Nixon’s wiretapping
of his “enemies” and political opponents was part of the Watergate scandals.

And wasn’t he even wiretapping Kissinger – and, of course, himself?*

But instead of putting Nixon in jail, the Congress decided that there was a
need to spy on citizens and enacted FISA … which itself is a violation of our
citizens’ rights with or without a Constitution which says so.

Looks to me like, rather than totally rebuking spying on citizens, they rewarded and
protected fascists in government. Not only Nixon … but GHW Bush’s spying…

HERE IT IS …

and NOTE that this was introduced by Senator Ted Kennedy and approved by Democrats
who had total control of the Congress at that time, including Democratic President Jimmy Carter.

History

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) was introduced on May 18, 1977, by Senator Ted Kennedy and was signed into law by President Carter in 1978. The bill was cosponsored by nine Senators: Birch Bayh, James O. Eastland, Jake Garn, Walter Huddleston, Daniel Inouye, Charles Mathias, John L. McClellan, Gaylord Nelson, and Strom Thurmond.

The _FISA resulted from extensive investigations by Senate Committees into the legality of domestic intelligence activities. These investigations were led separately by Sam Ervin and Frank Church in 1978 as a response to President Richard Nixon’s usage of federal resources to spy on political and activist groups.[_2] The act was created to provide judicial and congressional oversight of the government’s covert surveillance activities of foreign entities and individuals in the United States, while maintaining the secrecy needed to protect national security.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act

Warrantless domestic wiretapping program[edit]

Main article: NSA warrantless surveillance controversy

The Act came into public prominence in December 2005 following publication by The New York Times of an article[3] that described a program of warrantless domestic wiretapping ordered by the Bush administration and carried out by the National Security Agency since 2002; a subsequent Bloomberg article[4] suggested that this may have already begun by June 2000.

The Secret FISA Court: - Rubber-Stamping our Rights

Seven judges on a secret court have authorized all but one of over 7,500 requests to spy in the name of National Security. They meet in secret, with no published orders, opinions, or public record. Those spied on May never know of the intrusion. Now, Clinton has expanded the powers to include not only electronic, but physical searches. The aftershock of the Oklahoma City bombing sent Congress scurrying to trade off civil liberties for an illusion of public safety. A good ten weeks before that terrible attack, however with a barely noticed pen stroke President Bill Clinton virtually killed off the Fourth Amendment when he approved a law to expand the already extraordinary powers of the strangest creation in the history of the federal judiciary. Since its founding in 1978, a secret court created by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA rhymes with ice -a) has received 7,539 applications to authorize electronic surveillance within the U.S. In the name of national security, the court has approved all but one of these requests from the Justice Department on behalf of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. Each of these decisions was reached in secret, with no published orders, opinions, or public record. The people, organizations, or embassies spied on were not notified of either the hearing or the surveillance itself. The American Civil Liberties Union was not able to unearth a single instance in which the target of a FISA wiretap was allowed to review the initial application. Nor would the targets be offered any opportunity to see transcripts of the conversations taped by the government and explain their side of the story. Without access to such materials, said Kate Martin of the ACLU, targets of FISA searches are denied any meaningful opportunity to contest the basis for the execution of the FISA search.

http://rense.com/general5/fisacourt.htm

There’s an interesting exchange about this “Rubber-Stamping” in the movie “SNOWDEN”

And …

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 (FISA)https://it.ojp.gov/PrivacyLiberty/authorities/statutes/1286

• **Watergate included a taping system which Nixon had installed at the White **
    House where he was basically recording his own crimes and criminal activities.
    Nixon obviously tried to destroy the evidence by wiping out certain parts of the tapes…
    HOWEVER, the public was never told that the White House actually created a back up
    tape for every tape made. That means there was a duplicate tape recording which
    Congress never asked for or demanded to see.

U R 2 Funny. The Zullo PI with the silver bullet. He has a great line of " but, but, but… " and " what ifs " that demands more investigation, of course. Which keeps feeding the frenzy of birtherism. A political strategy which has nothing to do with birth origin and everything to do with kind of saying, " nixxer, nixxer, nixxer ".
And, the article is not about " birtherism "; but this memo purporting and pointing to leaks and skullduggery by Bruce and Nellie Ohr, among others, in the Trumpster’s Russiagate dustup.
McGuffin defined: " an object or device in a movie or book that serves merely as a trigger for the plot. "
The plot thickens, and thickens, and thickens…As they say, " So it goes. "

It’s probably best not to feed the trolls.

I agree, release the memo. There isn’t anything as paranoid provoking as being followed by some thirty-year-old kid from Langley. First, it’s: Wow I must be important, then it’s “holy shit” I have buddies in that business that I wouldn’t trust with a pocket knife. These guys are virtually immune from the ordinary citizenry laws. You are dead from an ordinary head-on with a semi. By the way, they perpetuate the rumor that they are stupid. I was in the same classes in college that these people come from. The means IQ is 130 and most do the job out of patriotism. Witness; Valerie Plame/John Kiriakou. There are some straight out of the Bourne Trilogy. I would imagine the FBI is the same. They should never have been merged

And Bush set up the framework for presidential spying. Why aren’t you demanding Bush be incarcerated? Is Bush not black enough for you? Obama, if he did what you claim, was only using tools that Bush created.

For years huh? You signed onto COD only a couple days ago.
You should try a new perfume because you smell like a troll.
However, perfume won’t cover up your troll activities.

I’m glad to see you have that figured out.