Home | About | Donate

In Norway Electric Vehicles Outsold Gasoline Cars for First Time in History and Other EV Success Stories

In Norway Electric Vehicles Outsold Gasoline Cars for First Time in History and Other EV Success Stories

Juan Cole

Electric cars are coming on like gangbusters, as ranges increase and prices fall dramatically. Here are 6 headlines pointing to the green car future:

1. In Norway, electric vehicles in March, 2019, outsold gasoline-driven cars for the first time.

2. Indeed, electric vehicles in Norway were responsible for 58% of all sales last month.

1 Like

Anyone for a road trip to Norway?

1 Like

We bought a used electric car two years ago and we absolutely LOVE it.
The car has virtually zero maintenance. No exhaust/muffler system, no gas tank, reduced brake usage, no oil changes.

3 Likes

Didn’t they have their own brand of electric vehicles just a few years ago that only sold a few thousand models before going bankrupt?
Guess their melting permafrost and 1 month long winter woke a few vikings up.
Wonder what America’s reaction will be when Norway’s citizens start to demand an end to oil drilling, which incidentally is still the backbone of their entire economy.

1 Like

I loves me some Norway, but you’ll run up a big carbon tab flying across the pond, Homie.

1 Like

The last time that I flew across the pond was in February 2003, on my way to Schiphol Airport outside Amsterdam. Fun, Fun, Fun.

I was fortunate to have a seat in the front part of the plane next to a gentleman from Olso Norway.

For the entire 8 hour flight, we had the most wonderful conversation.

He gave me his address in Olso, and invited me to visit with his family if I ever traveled there.

Unfortunately I never have.

Two weeks after I returned to the states, George Bush invaded Iraq. Shock and Awe ensued. I mean, Murder and Mayhem.

Tank, when will the American people learn to stop trusting/supporting this system of Horror; I mean government?

1 Like

electric cars are likely better than gas engines, but they are still cars, and the electricity, still mostly fossil fuel based has impacts as well as the vehicles needing roads and parking, cause sprawl that erodes natural areas and farmland, kills and injures people, pets, wildlife, lowers quality of life in cities thru congestion, ugliness, deterring walking and biking…EVs are a feel-good idea, promoted by people in that industry, to get people to think they can still drive everywhere without consequences

3 Likes

Exactly. In particular, by virtue of their sheer size - the personal car destroys the livability of urban spaces. Public transit is still the way to go.

Unfortunately, the system that was forced on me required us to have a car for local commuting and errands in the household. So I got the smallest ones I could find - a Smart Electric and an electric motor scooter.

1 Like

A passenger accommodation on a freighter ship is another, albeit rather expensive and very slow (much slower than even the SS United States or HMS Queen E were)

Edit: It seems that Cunard still sails the Queen Mary II between NYC and Southhampton, UK. I presume that it takes 6 days. I’m sure it is not cheap.

2 Likes

Somehow I always pictured you on the deck of a huge passenger ship, lounging by the pool with a tropical cocktail in hand.

I’m afraid that the US electorate won’t wake up until a crisis forces them to.

That’s the shame of climate chaos – it’s easy to ignore in the short term.

I assume America will continue to snooze. But your premise is coming to pass:

The American populace, certainly. The government and its owners however, are not likely to just allow one of its major oil “partners” just up and quit on them.
They have destroyed entire countries for less than that, in fact they are doing so as i type this.

True, but decarbonization of the electric sector is happening quickly and will be relatively easy. So, while many electric cars are currently fueled by fossil fuels, that can be cured. It’s far better to make the transportation sector electric and let the electric sector catch up, than to conclude we shouldn’t electrify transportation.

No doubt they’ll lash themselves to the helm, but in the end, the fossil ship is going down. The economics are overwhelming their holding actions.

While consumers aren’t nearly as rational as economists would have you believe, they’re not completely stupid. When it becomes completely apparent that the savings from electric vehicles is compelling and the perform is superior to internal combustion technology (think torque/power/acceleration, etc.), even the worst of the Bubbas are going to go electric, else they’ll be left in the dust, so to speak – and we all know they won’t stand for that!

The last ship I was on (aside from a couple self-propelled floating/jackup offshore drill rigs in the Caribbean off of Venezuela), was the USS Upshur a passenger/troop-transport ship returning to the US from Morocco where we lived when my dad was posted over there from 1959 to 1961. The Navy even transported the family car over there and back. I was 5 years old but have a lot of memories of that trip. The Upshur was later used to carry a lot of draftees over to Vietnam, then she was decommissioned and left on a mud bar in Mobile Bay and finally scrapped a few years ago.

A cruise ship (along with Las Vegas) are the two things I would be less interested in than dying. You would have to pay me (in the case of Vegas, a huge sum - even just a one-hour layover in it’s airport almost drove me crazy), to be on or in either of them.

But I have heard that there is this tramp freighter that plies a route from Chicago and Cleveland to the Black Sea as far west as Sochi, with stops in Europe and Mediterranean along the way, depending on the cargo. They take passengers and I’d love to take that to Europe and Turkey, but the trip is long and not cheap.

2 Likes

Bingo… they gonna have to find another way to subsidize their welfare state.

Don’t be naive. This is such crap. Do you know what Norway’s leading industry and top export is: OIL.

Barry, I am with you and Yunzer. Public transportation should be emphasized where possible (as it is in Europe and Japan); more efficient and less environmental impact. Smaller personal vehicles could also help. That issue aside, it is no wonder electric cars are big sellers in Norway; gasoline there is almost $7 a gallon, nearly 3 times what it is in the US. Electricity in Norway is 98% hydro-power, not fossil fuel - and it is much cheaper than US electricity, even for homeowners. The equivalent rates in Norway are about 6 cents a kwh, whereas in the US it is at least double or triple that - in New Hampshire where I live, we pay about 21 cents per KWH (we may be among the most expensive!). We should not feel bad about avoiding electric cars until the costs and infrastructures here make them look better - and remember, most of our electricity is now generated from fossil fuels. What makes sense in one place and time does not necessarily make sense in another.

As soon as we get our hands on some of that tesseract we can power the country.