Home | About | Donate

In Open Letter, Scholars and Activists Call on Bernie Sanders to Embrace Foreign Policy That Rejects US Militarism, Bloated Pentagon Budget

In Open Letter, Scholars and Activists Call on Bernie Sanders to Embrace Foreign Policy That Rejects US Militarism, Bloated Pentagon Budget

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Offering their "advice in a spirit of friendship" in an open letter issued on Wednesday, over 100 noted intellectuals, left-wing academics, and progressive activists have urged Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) to lay out clear proposals for a foreign policy that rejects U.S. militarism, overseas misadventures, and the outrageous Pentagon budget that continues to cripple funding for many of the progressive programs and policy solutions the senator advocates.

1 Like

A fairly modest proposal. Well, Bernie? You got the guts to stand up to the MIC?

3 Likes

Add my name…Gilbert Satchell, citizen of Planet Earth!

1 Like

I have added my name to the letter. You can too. Go to the main article and click in the link for the letter. It will take you to the page where you can sign. Where you can sign for sanity’s sake and thank you.

3 Likes

signed.
Keep the well articulated pressure up !

4% - thats all ??!!

2 Likes

I agree, 4% is way too little. To rein in the warmongers 50% would begin to bring our global expeditionary military machine home.
The best way to improve the health and safety of our veterans is to…stop generating veterans.
Nobody is threatening us. We, as a nation, have been the victims of propaganda and fearmongering.
We have two oceans separating us from any potential threat.
Plus, we are an armed populous. What is to be afraid of, aside from our own government.
To the ultra right wing 2nd amendment people out there, who insist the right to bear arms was meant to protect us from government tyranny, you should be the first to strive for a smaller military. You should be the first to complain about a much more powerful militarized police force.
The astounding amount of money being wasted…or lost with our Defense Department would fix everything wrong or broken in this country. And still have money left over.
It’s showtime for Bernie. His responce to this letter will tell us if he is for real, or just a sheepherder.

1 Like

I supported Bernie with my voice and political monetary contributions. Then he turned and screwed all of his supporters by supporting Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party establishment after this establishment cheated him out of the nomination. That is the turning point in any hope for a Democratic America. It represents the demise of the US. We must now start over with a new system of government. Bernie is a Judas.

You are most welcome.

In the age of Trumpism and all the dangers that implies, I hope the purists remember just how much we have lost in this democracy and even more dire, what we stand to lose if Trump and the republicans (as well as the conservative democrats) remain in power. It is because I am a progressive and a long time peace activist that I hope Bernie wins this most important of elections. I know that he would seek to reduce the military budget (unlike Trump) and pull us out of this forever war/foreign war mentality. I know that he would be the best chance (maybe the last chance) to save the environment from the catastrophe that Trump would bring us to. So for all the good things that Bernie would do if elected…

I hope he doesn’t sign this open letter and avoids sidelining himself with what would be considered a non presidential if not a fringe position among a large portion of the voting public. Purists do speak the truth but they stop short of speaking politics or rather speaking ‘winnable politics’. There lies the rub. Bernie would do great things for America and purists should have a bit more faith in the man’s long held positions and faith that if elected that he would implement them.

I hope he doesn’t sign this ‘open letter’ that would end up closing the book by playing into republican hands.