Home | About | Donate

In Pictures and Video: What 'Biggest Day of Climate Action in Planetary History' Looks Like as Millions Strike Worldwide

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/20/pictures-and-video-what-biggest-day-climate-action-planetary-history-looks-millions

2 Likes

Is much happening in the Belly of the Beast?

1 Like

Yes!
See you at the St Paul, MN capital to demonstrate that this planet is loved.

5 Likes

Be out in the streets in solidarity! Love from Vermont! This small state has strikes occurring all over.

6 Likes

So now I wonder, will ABC (the only TV channel I get) actually report on this tonight, at long last? There has been no mention of this on the World News Tonight (sic) and in Seattle, the major decided that all school absences will be unexcused! Obviously, TPTB would like to pretend that there 1) is no crisis and 2) the best course of action is continued rape and plunder. Will this day of climate action even be noticed by them? O will they all be hiding in their man-made caves waiting for it to blow over?

Never mind. Ii woke depressed and cynical. I would be out on the streets, but here in rural north Idaho there’s nothing happening at all until some activity tomorrow, and I will be there. And I am very grateful to the kids and adults who are calling a spade a spade.

3 Likes

Standing in the street holding a sign with two other people in my small town in Arizona. The school kids here are so brainwashed, most have no clue about the millions of “liberals” striking today as they busily prepare for the Bush era boondoggle of a state test. Of course, this is the only town in America with an actual Trump store in case you need to buy a plastic straw.

5 Likes

Biggest day of climate action in the history of the world. Wonderful, just wonderful! Gives me some hope for the future.

7 Likes

Take heart: Outside of urban areas and college towns, the whole country is your small town.

In 2016, Hillary won 489 counties, Trump won 2,623. Nonetheless, Hillary won the popular vote.

And hell, I don’t believe these protests will amount to anything. But I’ll be joining the kids on the college campus and fighting anyway. Because it’s the right thing to do.

4 Likes

Holy shit, front page coverage in the NYTimes with video of big crowds:

6 Likes

In Seattle, March to City Hall Rally, starting 12:30 pm from Cal Anderson Park. Getting ready now. Law enforcement shows big presence including six choppers circling over downtown,

5 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Not to much climate action here but nurse’s are on strike in Tenet Hospitals due to staffing shortages and not having meal or rest breaks and not being paid. A few other things I’m sure. Solidarity with strikers today.

7 Likes

Say what you will about Germany, but they can still mobilize for an environmental march like no one else.

Thanks to everyone who spoke up today and most of all to the kids proving yet again that anyone who talks sh*t about any younger generation should just shut up and guard their lawns.

8 Likes

This is more important than the U.S. presidential “election” farce. If people don’t rise up and force their corporate overlords to take action on climate, it won’t matter whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne.

4 Likes

Horrors ! Tell me the name so I can avoid this place in the future?

1 Like

My spouse and I are now in our eighties and could easily say ‘it will not effect us’. We have little great grand babies that we love more than life and give us reasons to live … yet we despair.

Thank you children of the world. You see the future better than most.

5 Likes

Would that really matter to you: how M$MBS digests today’s events?

1 Like

Not a twitter or a tweet.

Incidentally, someone in CD’s staff might take a look at another bold action launching today, September 20: the Mosaic Expedition (I sure hope that’s a very tough boat! My emphasis in the following):

MOSAiC - Multidisciplinary drifting Observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate

It could be the largest-scale Arctic research expedition of all time: in September 2019 the German research icebreaker Polarstern will depart from Tromsø, Norway and, once it has reached its destination, will spend the next year drifting through the Arctic Ocean, trapped in the ice. A total of 600 people from 19 countries, who will be supplied by other icebreakers and aircraft, will participate in the expedition – and several times that number of researchers will subsequently use the data gathered to take climate and ecosystem research to the next level. The mission will be spearheaded by the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI).

https://follow.mosaic-expedition.org/

4 Likes

Road my bike down to the State Capitol (Sacramento) today. Maybe a thousand kids and old hippies … much smaller than The Women’s marches. There did not appear to be a sound system … I could not even hear the guest speakers because there was a monstrous diesel generator spewing noise and fumes right behind them. The Capitol building is getting a facelift, but the workers were eating lunch as it was noontime. That f’n thing should have been turned off. Somebody needs to be fired! Absolutely disgusting! Shows you what we’re up against.

2 Likes