Home | About | Donate

In Private Meeting, Facebook Exec Warns News Outlets to Cooperate or End Up Dying in 'Hospice'

In Private Meeting, Facebook Exec Warns News Outlets to Cooperate or End Up Dying in 'Hospice'

Jake Johnson, staff writer

During a closed-door and off-the-record meeting last week, top Facebook executive Campbell Brown reportedly warned news publishers that refusal to cooperate with the tech behemoth's efforts to "revitalize journalism" will leave media outlets dying "like in a hospice."

"We desperately need to develop alternative delivery mechanisms to Facebook."
—Judd Legum, ThinkProgress

Make Them An Offer They Can’t Refuse Zuck.

There has been no shortage of people who have been trying to warn the masses against facebook since its inception, to no effect as usual. There is no reason to think this will wake anyone up either.

Winston Smith here. The duty has befallen on me to tell you of the new programing. Next hour is to called the Zuck Hour followed by the Fox Hour, followed by the Trump Hour. The programing will the start over and continue for 3 hours and start over again. There will be no breaks between the hour long programs. They will even run while you sleep. We do not want you to miss any details or nuggets in your steady diet of the truth. Oh, sorry they said truth is spelled with a capital “T”, so, Truth. May is set you free.

Yes, I was one but to no avail. I have never used FB and am glad I never will!

I have never been on MySpace or Face Book.
But I have joined Steemit and Minds.

Open source and content paid

Break up Facebook. What are they waiting for?

That will never happen, neither will Google/Youtube be dismembered. Anyone who gets close will be hurt.

Hey, then you have two Face Book,

Hi Shantiananda-----neither have I : )

What surprises me is that people still seem to give FB the benefit of the doubt as to its good intentions. Mark Zuckerberg is a thief from the very beginning. He was court ordered to pay for that theft. Why would a corrupt thief “do good” when power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BTW, has anyone seen the Times of Israel article wherein a recording of Benjamin Netanyahu brags about controlling Donald Trump?

Facebook is an ADDICTION, plain and simple. You can’t get through to those caught in the trap; I’ve tried. Personally, I have overcome ENOUGH addictions in my 70 years that I stay VERY far away from it.; I guess I just don’t see the point…

I think the Nutty Yayhoo article you mentioned was posted on here at some point.
I could have seen it somewhere else. Maybe it was on the Jimmy Dore Show. As Raygun famously said a thousand times: “I can’t recall.”

Johnson sez: “During a closed-door and off-the-record meeting last week, top Facebook
executive Campbell Brown reportedly warned news publishers…” (emphasis mine)

I would dearly lover to hear why this group of “news publishers and broadcasters” agreed to an off-the-record meeting (also, which outlets they represent).

To paraphrase the Church Lady, 'Could it be … money?"

But … when do I work in my Two Minutes Hate?

They didn’t advise me on that issue, possibly while brushing your teeth before bed? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I understand you mean there have been many who made those warnings, but a shortage of people? Isn’t that exactly the problem. ‘No shortage of people’ would, by definition, include the masses.
I find equally disturbing as the vast majority of online users seeming to be FB members, is that left outlets, use it too. For example, Counterpunch has no comments but does refer readers to FB to continue the debate. And I have seen links to Amazon, as well. Even those who know better, can’t seem to help themselves.

Pretty soon, you and me and few others only, will not be on FB. At what point will having a FB page be required to get a job, to fill out a college application, to get a passport or buy a plane ticket?

Goebbels said, “Tell a lie. Make it a big one. Repeat it over and over. If you do this long enough and consistently enough, pretty soon it becomes the truth.”
*These vicious clowns have learned the playbook well, and have spent millions in think tanks and professors to make it nearly foolproof.
*Every day, the Fourth Reich squeezes us harder and harder. The Ministry of Propaganda Truth figures out yet more ways to muzzle or destroy actual journalism. They’ll drown it in bales of money, or drown them in an “accident,” if they don’t comply. It makes no difference to them.
*If We the People want real news, we must troll the net for international news, but the big two or three are coming up with ways to strangle the net, also. If they succeed, we’ll just be reduced to being fucked by fox and others of its ilk, but the money will keep rolling in for the big boys.
*Take up reading folks. There is still a lot of wisdom out there that hasn’t been “edited” by the Ministry of Truth.
;-})

It is pretty terrifying. The future you describe is in fact facebook’s stated end game.
Was not that long ago one of their exec’s was recorded in a private investor meeting describing a strategy for reaching the point where not using facebook was to be considered “irresponsible”.

So it will soon be known as Fakefacebook.