Home | About | Donate

In Response to Lies and Hate, Let Me Make Some Things Clear About My Climate Srike

In Response to Lies and Hate, Let Me Make Some Things Clear About My Climate Srike

Greta Thunberg

Editor's note: Originally posted to Facebook, the following is a statement from 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg as a response to circulating "rumors and lies" as well as "enormous amounts of hate" directed at her as a result of her high-profile role inspiring the growing youth-led climate strike movement.

3 Likes

Greta, you and all those that fight for a better world in their own way–young and old–are world treasures that desperately need to shine in this time of insane worship of all things meaningless. Before the ravages of climate change can be mitigated to any significant degree the ravages of excess consumption upon the human soul must be reined in and corralled. On Super Bowl Sunday, I find that a daunting challenge. I for one will not be watching or contemplating the spectacle of the day, but will take the opportunity to feel the Earth I love beneath my feet and its air deep in my lungs–that’s my daily assignment.

17 Likes

Thank God for the Greta Thunbergs of the world. I finally watched “Fahrenheit 11/9” yesterday. I was moved to tears by the video of Emma and the other Parkland students. Time for this Old Geezer to re-find his 1960’s Spirit.

17 Likes

If the “adults” in the room can’t get their act together - and this is true of many issues - it isn’t surprising that young people and ‘children’ will pick up the ball and run with it. It is appalling that this young woman has gotten so much grief from “grownups” who aren’t doing anything to change the future for the positive. They should be ashamed.

15 Likes

Your voice is important Greta, it is very sad how backward we’ve went since 1979 when the so called great Ronald Reagan tore down the solar panels on the White House and the beginning of deregulation of the environment. Rachel Carson was very important in environmental movements of 50’s and 60’s and we made great strides in the 60’s/70’s putting out the fires in the rivers of East and the air quality all over the US. All that work has been torn apart but then we could of already entered the no return point.

4 Likes

I propose that if we make it through this Climate Crisis that the tallest statue be erected in honor of this truly honorable young lady. Better yet - since statues are a waste of resources and represent a mindset we should be evolving away from - a better honor would be the creation of “the Thunberg Prize” on a par with the Nobel. To be bestowed each year on worthy individuals (children included) or organizations that advance the concept of Sustainable Humanity.

12 Likes

Thunberg sez:
“Recently I’ve seen many rumors circulating about me and enormous amounts of hate.”

It is a rather special kind of hell in which crap is flung at this kid from a monkey cage of assholes who otherwise spend their time hoisting a collection of Kochs, Trumps and Boltons upon a pedestal of gilded dung.

14 Likes

Child, you just don’t understand the wonders of free-market capitalism and competition. If this planet cannot get its act together, it will suffocate in its own waste. But there are other corp… er I mean planets out there that will succeed. That’s how the free market works. There are winners and losers, and you just happen to live on a planet that is losing. Oh well. Now bow down like a good little girl to the god of money, which is our only true leader, and glorify that which is western civilization (while it lasts).

2 Likes

Yuck!
;-})

4 Likes

Thank you, Greta, for your words, your commitment, and your ability to make things clear, without hatred and histrionics.
*May you continue your task with the grace and earnestness you have shown thus far. Your task is the awakening of the world to do the tasks involved in saving it. I am detecting a few twitches in the sleeping giant. Perhaps soon, it will awaken, shake off the nightmare, roll up its sleeves and go to work at a tough job. May those children of which you speak say at your birthday in a cleaner, safer world, “Thank you, Grandma!”
Bless you.
;-})

9 Likes

A 21st century Joan of Arc, only without the backing of an imaginary being. I truly hope you get the following you need. I will be one of them. The oily beast we are fighting is not going down without a fight.

8 Likes

“I want you to panic.”

I want the sociopaths that rule us to panic, whether it is the Trump or the Clinton, the Dims or the Rethugs, or the psychopathic corporate elites. Please, please panic, the sooner the better.

Peace
Po

3 Likes

“…the children will lead us or leave us behind…” Danny O’Keefe

I too ran into some possible trouble and have had to strip my front page clean because of possible copyright issues. When that giant storage of methane in the arctic pops it will the last of us. We have 18 to 36 months left but eyes won’t read ears won’t hear. In the meantime we have Greta. Thank you for Being, Greta.

6 Likes

Too bad the millions that will watch the Super Bowl today, do not feel the same way…then maybe our planet would have a chance.

4 Likes

Hi Uncle PO: : ) Maybe the climate scientists could be analogous to the CIA in Venezuela with the replacement guy who nobody voted for.

Greta, it would be great if Science could declare TRUMP, Pence, Pompeo and Bolton of the war party to be non functions entities on Earth today.
Greta Thunberg: I am so impressed with your knowledge, commitment and focus—that if the Trumpster can replace Maduro, in Venezuela---- then surely sanity , vision and commitment can replace one wonderful Greta in command in America instead of the sad wanna be warriors of nation changers Trump, Pence , Pompeo and Bolton / Let’s MAKE EARTH GREAT AGAIN ( or MEGA)

Greta do not care what the ouside world says.
Go with your heart and intuition, be a light unto the world let your light shine bright like a star.

Just be yourself you are perfect just as you are .

9 Likes

It’s hardly surprising if she gets hateful comments–it means she’s looking effective. I’ll bet she gets at least as much love and support. She’s a hell of a leader, amazingly articulate.

8 Likes

I meant to say Greta you are a precious occurrence.

6 Likes

Po, I’m not sure that having our rulers panic is such a good idea. When cornered or threatened, they move to the next level of killing the host. Usually by starting or fomenting another unprovoked or useless war or outrage in some other country or on people of other faiths, cultures, or beliefs.

3 Likes

I think it is much more likely that there are powerful poeple behind these attacks on Ms. Thunberg - not that there are people behind Ms. Thunberg…

2 Likes