Home | About | Donate

In Richest Nation on Earth, Estimated 400,000 People in US Suffering Under 'Modern Slavery'

In Richest Nation on Earth, Estimated 400,000 People in US Suffering Under 'Modern Slavery'

Jon Queally, staff writer

While the nation's richest and most powerful continue to enjoy the unparalleled fruits of a "New Guilded Age"—including those who have "yachts that have tiny yachts inside" them—a new report reveals that an estimated 400,000 people living in the United States live under forced servitude characterized as nothing

Our enslavement by advertising enables the enslavement of people making mountains of stuff we don’t really need. Let’s all keep our hands in our pockets (so the bosses can’t stick theirs in).

With that said, a word to John Queally, staff writer:

That’s “Gilded Age,” as in washed or plated with gold.

A “Guilded Age” would have something to do with a society of skilled-trades workers.

On behalf of my late mother, who grammatically tortured me at the dinner table, thanks.

And where were both wings of the Duopoly as people were being enslaved in “the Land of the Free”? U.S. slavery is truly a bipartisan capitalist proposition.

I get your point, Jon, but I wish you hadn’t used yachts as your whipping boy. Having grown up near the ocean, I must tell you that yachts come in different sizes. My brother, also a Jon, had a small yacht , an old pickup, and a trailer home outside of town a couple years after graduation from high school. In no way was he at all rich.The truck was fully paid for from his high school job.

Quite a few people live on their boats with no dry land home, parked in marinas or canals, moving away as fast as they can before hurricanes.

Personally I think he was quite rich. I don’t mean financially. He had work, the sea and was able to get around when he had to. Of course there are many other things needed for a decent life, but those are a pretty good starting place. Kudos to your bro.

Unfortunately, there are a lot more than 400k people working under forced labor. I would include in that figure everyone in the US being forced to work for the current ridiculously low minimum wage.

I would also consider people working for giant corporations like Amazon and Walmart where we taxpayers must subsidize their employees with Food Stamps and Medicare, as being Slaves to the system and being paid Slave wages.

Slavery of our fellow human beings has not disappeared the only thing that has changed is you have the right to quit your job and starve to death or continue working for Plantation owners like Jeff Bezos and the Walton Family.

VeganVillage.org

The recent reporting on the new Gilded Age has brought a resurgence of the right wing argument that misdirects concern with income inequality to the faulty notion that poverty can be reduced in a system with massive wealth concentration:

Similarly, with respect to immigration and slavery, the right misdirect by misdirecting with comments like:

‘If its so bad in the US, why do people want to come here?’

or

‘Name one country that is better than the US’

Apparently the “400,000 people estimated in US suffering under Modern Slavery” does not include the 2,500,000 incarcerated in the American Slave Labor Camps run by “our” government.

The 13th Amendment that allegedly “abolished slavery in the US” instead made it illegal for anyone EXCEPT the government to hold slaves.

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Notice in particular Section 2 - who finances this “slavery [and] involuntary servitude”? CONGRESS finances it. Who profits from it? The private prison industry and all their investors; the military and large corporations who get stuff made for pennies on the dollar.

Yes - the US is the ONLY nation on this planet whose very Constitution legalizes slavery.

Feels more like a “Gelded Age” from my perspective…