Home | About | Donate

In Selma, Memories of Bloody Sunday Spur Action Today

In Selma, Memories of Bloody Sunday Spur Action Today

Amy Goodman

Fifty years have passed since Bloody Sunday, that seminal event in United States civil-rights history when African-Americans and their allies attempted to march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala., demanding the right to vote. As soon as they crossed the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, they were violently attacked by the Alabama State Police, beaten with nightsticks and electric cattle prods, set upon by police dogs and tear-gassed. They were chased off the bridge, all the way back to Selma’s Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church, where the march began.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Amy, why didn't you nail that racist bigot Jeff Sessions ? He prosecuted blacks for trying to register in Alabama in the 1960's. He is still trying to quash the black vote . He is a despicable war monger to boot.

How interesting to see the first two comments link Selma and voting rights to U.S. foreign policy! I think the link is very appropriate.

In fact, I think the "Black Lives Matter" movement needs to make the same explicit link. And I can't think of a better way to do so than to call for -- demand! -- a Truth and Justice Reconciliation Commission to examine U.S. military policies and actions in the Vietnam War. Were these consistent with our most basic and fundamental human and national values and ideals?

Yes, past and present must be linked to build a better -- more peaceful and humane -- future.

I would go so far as to say the world urgently needs to see the U.S. undertake this project; and I think we as a country need to do so for our own sake as well.