Home | About | Donate

In Support of Eight Arrested for Toppling Durham Statue, Hundreds Turn Themselves In

In Support of Eight Arrested for Toppling Durham Statue, Hundreds Turn Themselves In

Julia Conley, staff writer

More than 200 Durham, North Carolina residents stood outside a jail on Thursday, attempting to turn themselves in for the removal of the city's Confederate Soldiers Monument—to protest the arrests of eight people who have been accused of dismantling the monument. The group chanted, "Thank you, we love you," in support of those who were arrested.

Watch hundreds of people turning themselves in for the 9 warrants for taking down racist statue in Durham. <3 pic.twitter.com/dGc1dciAKM

Imagine now if all the people there were to simply sit down in front of the police station they can then be arrested and waves of others come and take their place filling the jails until they drop the charges.

They are Spartacus.

“Imagine now if all the people there were to simply sit down in front of the police station they can then be arrested and waves of others come and take their place filling the jails until they drop the charges.”

I was/am not there Giovanna-Lepore, yet it seems to me that this sort of “civil disobedience” has been effectual in the relatively recent past (to clarify - I intend this in the sense that Mohandas Gandhi is yet one example of the relatively recent past ).

While this might require a large number of us to be “civilly disobedient” as you suggest, I think it also requires a significant number of us who are in law enforcement to change our behaviors and be “civilly disobedient” as well (as in disobeying unlawful/Un-Constituional/anti-Bill of Rights orders).

In my opinion the “Us versus Them” mentality does not promote goodwill nor does it promote any sense of equality.

Workers have always been victimized by the bosses, goons and police - In these times the question is at least as relevant and stark…

Will this make the evening news?

Now, if we could only get all the cowardly Nazi scum to show up at a police station in Charlottesville and line up to be arrested.

Solidaridad at its best… the Power of the People acting together is awesome!

Imagine now while the cops are having to deal with all of those people that someone somewhere actually needs the help of a cop. Smh

What is there to “grapple” with? It is time those monuments to hatred and bigotry were removed from our cities. There are far, far too many of us who feel sickened by the very sight of them. If that is the case, then why is there any question. If they want to put them somewhere, find a stupid museum for right wingers and put them there. Let the right wing love them all they want, but out of our sight. Our public spaces should be kept in a manner that does not impose hatred or memories of hatred upon anyone. It’s just that simple.

Landmarks of the Civi War are coming down. I would have all of the glorifications of ALL wars taken down. I would not glorify veterans or have war holidays or war remembrances. I would support veterans and care for them.

The governor of NC has called for removal of all confederate statues. Arresting these people on these charges - ridiculous. Felony charges - outrageous. Good on the hundreds of others who are visibly showing their support for the Durham 8.

"The people will continue to keep making the right choices until every Confederate statue is gone, until white supremacy is gone."
The statues may well be monuments to a history that never, thank whomever, was. They are not in themselves racism but a product of that very common human trait. As such it will always be with us. What the thinking human must do is recognize this within each of us and realize its destructive potential, then engage it as you would a voice telling you that one more drink won’t hurt your ability to drive home. This is one place where sweeping something under a rug is not a bad thing it is just possibly the only way we can overcome our primal fear of racial difference. The hate thing is just giving in to ignorance and is our own personal devil to fight. If hiding prejudice under a rock is the best you can do then at least do that!
That said, I realize that children do not recognize racial differences on their own until they become more socially aware but I have noticed that this difference is recognized if pointed out. My grandmother had, to me, an irrational active dislike, mildly speaking, of Jews. I still can’t understand, from personal experience, why. It must always be remembered that we are continually building our future and Donald Trump isn’t the only bad architect out there. Each of us builds our own pen.

Thank you for posting this beautiful song. I’m crying because this (younger) generation does’ that know things used to be better.
I left my beautiful Maui to come to California to watch my grand-daughter because my son & d-in-law work 7 day a week, 14 (or more) hrs a day to make “ends meet”.
Would I have come if I knew he supported trump? Well, she’s (grand-daughter) now a vegan and by 2018 I hope she’ll be a Bernie supporter too!
The local park is an international gathering and we meet and love all!
“Which side are you on boy.” We’re on the side of love

Thank you Lili - sincerely. I too hope for some more love in the world…peace to you!

Random acts of love & kindness