Home | About | Donate

In Surprise Lurch to the Right, David Cameron Takes UK Election


#26

Yeh, the people who lose their homes under Tory bedroom tax, end up close to susicde under Tory austerity, and even dead like the guy in the link are pretty bummed too.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/03/victims-britains-harsh-welfare-sanctions

methinks I read the voice of the voice of spoilt brat privilege.


#27

Could be an option. The only thing is that their dialect is very difficult for me to understand and the wheather is horrible year-round.


#28

They don’t use voting machines in the UK, they stick with crosses drawn on paper ballots. So it’s down to voter self-interest and refusal to think deeply about any issue, probably.


#29

If Labour had agreed a coalition with the SNP they would have lost even more seats. Denying they would form one was their attempt to offset the Tory scaremongering. Sadly, it didn’t work.

If you think those people who voted SNP in Scotland all did so because they want independence, you don’t understand UK politics very well. As said, they wanted the best of both world’s. If the vote was for independence rather than a candidate for Westminster, they would probably vote as they did in the referendum, for Union.

How is the SNP now in a position to negotiate with the Tory party for anything? Makes no sense. They are weakened in parliament because they don’t have any majority.as Labour are. Both lose.


#30

Cameron is a man who, in his wild and misspent youth at the Bullingdon club, burned a £50 note (about $100) in front of a homeless person for amusment of him and his mates. No psychopathic genes there then eh?


#31

It’s not for nothing that so many psychologists believe the majority of successful politicians are undiagnosed psychopaths.


#32

In the eyes of some psychologists, just about everybody is an undiagnosed something or other.


#33

That’s seriously vile-but is it true?


#35

The UK Greens quadrupled their national vote, and Green member of parliament Caroline Lucas quadrupled her margin of victory over Labour in a clear affirmation of support for the Greens.

Lucas and Green Party leader Natalie Bennett immediately called for a national campaign to reform the UK’s broken, obsolete first-past-the-post voting system that gave 51% of the seats in parliament to a Conservative Party that won a weak plurality of 37% of the vote.

While Labour and the Liberal Democrats suffered serious losses, the Greens nearly quintupled party membership in the months leading up to the election, signaling their arrival as a national force for grassroots change.

See Green Party Watch for more information about the UK’s Green Surge!


#36

As we say here in the colonies - Every four years the mice go to the polls to elect a new cat.


#37

This election shows the real downfall of the first past the post electoral system – the Conservatives won 331 seats by receiving 11,334,920 votes – that’s 34,244 votes per seat. Labour won 232 seats by receiving 9,347,326 votes – 40,290 votes per seat. UKIP received 3,881,129 votes and won 1 seat – 3,881129 votes per seat!!! The Democratic Unionist Party won 8 seats on just 184,260 votes – 23,032 votes per seat. If the UK used an MMP electoral system like Germany’s or New Zealand’s the composition of the new Parliament would be very different.

Unfortunately, Canada is likely to see a similar result when it has a federal election later this year – in my riding the Conservatives stand a good chance of winning in spite of receiving less than 37% of the vote – the three parties to the left will in all likelihood be supported by 63% of voters, but the vote will be split between them handing the seat to the Conservatives.


#38

From California: Don’t worry, Britain will regret it. I know it’s of no consolation, but it is clear that by the strange circumstances the wrong decision was made. Having lived through Reagan as a native Californian, watching you from afar during the 80s with Thatcher, don’t worry-the winds are still blowing away from them. I grew hearing as goes California, so be it. We have Governor Brown and really times have never been any better. The odds are against Cameron.


#39

This is similar to what happened in Australia last election - the Abbott government (and “Liberal” (read Conservative) state governments are climate change skeptics, big business lovers. Privatisation proceeds apace while public services are being slashed. Real Estate prices soar as prime RE is bought by foreign investors. Australia is being globally derided for its backdown on climate change measures. This shift to the right in UK & AU does not augur well for the upcoming US election. There are obviously fears and concerns in the community that are not being addressed well by the middle and left.


#40

You mean the the big W’s sycophant-in-chief? Ha!


#41

Interesting. We’ve actually become quite barbaric to our very poor. Once every few years, US liberals notice a particular case of brutality/murder, if the victim is a young black man. But it has been “open season” on our homeless poor (most of whom are white) for years as they’ve been beaten, even killed, by citizens and police alike.

Americans embraced the austerity agenda years ago, implementing it from the bottom up. I assume middle classers didn’t know that after the poor were drained out, they would be next. Oh well. It’s really too late to do anything about it.


#42

The broader picture: Since the 1980s, we’ve been watching a successful neoliberal takeover of the Western world. In a very real sense, the CEOs of the major corporations now have more power the the leaders of any nations. It’s an entirely new situation, and the “masses” don’t know what to do about it.


#43

The Bank of England, HSBC, JP Morgan Chase, etc. and the Bilderberg Group are celebrating Cameron’s victory as are the rest of the 1% around the globe. Money really is the supreme being, it seems.

May the SNP cause Cameron et alia unrelenting grief.

A rhetorical question to be sure: Why do they with infinite means (money) insist that “the other” endure/suffer austerity to “keep the economy afloat?” Cameron has never wonted for anything in his entire privileged life…the only struggle he has is to keep away from the Penfolds Ampoule.


#44

Bummer …


#46

Good point!
Obviously we have in the UK a seriously dysfunctional elction system: Cameron has a clear majority in the Commons,yet his party got less than 25% of votes - and over a third of us just did not vote!
Why did so many voters switch away from the LibDems? could it be becos of their broken promise about getting rid of student fees? and the naked opportunism of their coalition with the Tories?
And why did so many voters switch away from Labour - especially in Scotland? Could that be becos of New Labour abandoning old-style Labour policies? Or the war in Iraq and the lies told by Jack Straw at the Un, on the basis of that “dodgy dossier”? and in Scotland, especially, the Tammany Hall style of arrogant nepotism and corruption which comes when a single party holds power for decades? Or becos since Tony Blair’s time, the party’s policy making has been taken away from the rank and file members,and the Party conference, and been controlled by the centre-controlled policy-making forums?
As for me I too see tthis sort of parliamentary pillow-fight as not touching onthe real,issue: that is, that so long as we have this crazy, amoral, dysfynctional capitalist system, we cn expect only more of the same - more war-mongering in the name of “freedom and democracy” but in reality about control of oilfields .And above all the exploitation of the have-nots by the haves, the 99% toiling away to enrich the filthy rich 1%… And whichever way we cast our votes, the government elected will carry on business as usual. Unless and until enough of us get wised up to how this is a system of greed and ruthless exploitation, and organise ourselves politicaly for a real change.


#48

The SNP’s progressive/left credentials don’t, stand up to serious scrutiny. When party leader Sturgeon was asked at her manifesto launch to name a redistributive policy enacted by the SNP in Holyrood, she was unable to cite a single example. There has been plenty of middle class welfarism, but no effective measures to reduce inequality or poverty. Indeed, the SNP in power has resembled nothing as much as New Labour in its pomp, combining the worst reflexes of authoritarian statism and market liberalism with a superior, “we know best” attitude that brooks no opposition.

With the creation of a single national police force, the routine use of armed response units, a stop and search rate four times higher than the rest of the UK and plans to create an integrated ID database, the SNP has strayed into areas that even Tony Blair’s Home Secretaries backed away from. A new ‘named person’ law will create an army of state employed snoopers with a right to pry into the affairs of every family. The party has also taken a lurch towards democratic centralism with a new gagging rule that obliges its MPs to “accept that no member shall within or outwith the parliament publicly criticise a group decision, policy or another member of the group”.

The SNP’s ‘business friendly’ approach of sucking up to powerful tycoons like Donald Trump, Brian Souter and Rupert Murdoch is scarcely any better then Blair’s cloying embrace of the super-rich, and arguably worse. The party’s flagship post-independence economic policy of attracting multinational companies by slashing corporation tax and undercutting the welfare budgets of other countries is the sort of tax piracy beloved of the neo-liberal right. The SNP’s claims to be anti-austerity have been revealed as baseless. Only opposition to Trident sets it apart; hardly an act of principle given that an independent Scotland wouldn’t be able to afford nuclear weapons.