Home | About | Donate

In Thanksgiving Eve News Dump, Facebook Admits Hiring GOP Operatives to Dig Up Dirt on Critics—Including George Soros

In Thanksgiving Eve News Dump, Facebook Admits Hiring GOP Operatives to Dig Up Dirt on Critics—Including George Soros

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

On the eve of Thanksgiving, in what many called a classic "news dump," Facebook confirmed reports that it hired a Republican-affiliated opposition research firm to dig up dirt on critics—most notably, billionaire philanthropist George Soros, who is Jewish and often the target of right-wing anti-Semitic conspiracy theories.

1 Like

Hello Jessica Corbett and Everyone, Considering all the EVIL that Facebook has done in the recent past and what it is currently doing it needs to be a thing of the past preferablly extinct. A new and better company or companies need to emerge!

3 Likes

Corbett sez: "‘It’s not about Definers. It is about us, not them,’ (Schrage) emphasized, while falling on the sword himself.

Seems an overly graphic metaphor. My guess is the only thing ‘falling’ here is Schrage’s golden parachute, which will facilitate a gentle landing, indeed.

2 Likes

Deleted mine.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but dig deeper…
This is only a tiny, minute example of the much larger problem.

Facebook is largely owned by the same largest institutional shareholders that own the largest “competing” tech firms, including Alphabet (Google), Microsoft, Apple, IBM, Twitter, Netflix, Amazon, and others.
(source = morningstar.com)

These firms have created virtual monopolies amongst the largest “competing” firms in most every single industry, via largest share holdings.
This is one of the constructs of the new American Planned Market Economy, that is, “capitalism” for only the .001 percent.
This is the neo-feudal American (and global) society.

Firms like Vanguard, BlackRock and State Street own over 17 percent of the entire U.S. markets capitalization.
Other collaborating firms (yes, they all comprise the largest shareholder/owners of each other, too), like JP Morgan, Invesco, Fidelity, Wellington Management, Geode, and others combined make upwards of 40-50 percent ownership of the largest “competing” corporations.
Add in the largest individual billionaire investors (like Zuckerberg, Gates, Grin, Page, Bezos, etc.) and you have some 90 percent of the markets…controlled by a few elite.

They have virtually eliminated true competition.

ANY firms that comes along, looking to truly compete with their similarly owned corporate assets (like the FAANG group), face extremely tough challenges (take a look at the history of MySpace, formerly an independent competitor, but has now itself become part of this same larger group, via it’s acquisition by Meredith Corp, which is largely owned by the same firms).

Whereas it may be tough to compete against the hundred-billion dollar backing/value of FB, it’s nearly impossible to compete against the tens of trillions that back the larger FAANG cartel.

Thus, EVERYONE needs to start evaluating their own complicity in supporting this scheme first.
If you shun FB, but support Apple or Alphabet or Twitter (even MySpace, now), you’re still supporting the neo-feudal Lords whom control each & every one.

These large capital firms (in conjunction with the largest billionaires) are becoming the TRUE corporatocratic owners & controllers of America, and the world.

Wanna make a real CHANGE?
Stop supporting corporate America as a whole.
It has become a true HYDRA.
You may be able to sever one head (say FB), but there are many more heads to defeat.

1 Like

Again I wonder, considering that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and their ilk were created to eliminate any remaining sense of privacy, especially in the United States, why is anyone still surprised by these latest fascist revelations from the ministry of truth?
There is no longer any semblece of privacy remaining in the US, or many other places for that matter.
These latest Facebook transgressions will be met by the public with the same amount of phony indignance that Claude Reins inspired when stating his disbelief that there was gambling going on at Ricks.

2 Likes

“Propagnada” by Edward Bernays.
“Instincts of the Herd in Peace and War” by Wilfred Trotter.

The human species is led, in most every aspect of life, far more than most will ever know.

Charles Darwin, in his “The Descent of Man” wrote that:
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge".

This serves as the basis for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Thomas Edison purportedly wrote that “Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.” (though this quote is perhaps misattributed to Edison, likely originating elsewhere, in variation).

The point, and reality, is that few people are truly able to think for themselves.
Likely, fewer than 1 percent are able to truly think, that is, employ logic, reason, common sense, outside the vast manipulations and propaganda that exist.

“The public relations counsel, therefore, is a creator of news [information] for whatever medium he chooses to transmit ideas. It is his duty to create news no matter what the medium which broadcasts this news.”

"The only difference between “propaganda” and “education,” really, is in the point of view. The advocacy of what we believe in is education. The advocacy of what we don’t believe in is propaganda. "

“In almost every act of our lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons […] who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses.”

“Propaganda is the executive arm of the invisible government.”

“If you can influence the leaders, either with or without their conscious cooperation, you automatically influence the group which they sway.”

"Who are the men, who, without our realizing it, give us our ideas, tell us whom to admire and whom to despise, what to believe about the ownership of public utilities … about immigration who tell us how our houses should be designed, what furniture we should put into them, what menus we should serve at our table, what kind of shirts we must wear, what sports we should indulge in, what plays we should see, what charities we should support, what pictures we should admire, what slang we should affect, what jokes we should laugh at? "
-Edward Bernays-

Even if people do wake up to the realities of the massive invasions of FB, Twitter, Alphabet, Apple, and the like (the larger FAANG group), the “substitutes” will similarly be owned & controlled by the same neo-feudal Lords (see my previous post regarding MySpace, and it’s assimilation into the larger FAANG family).

THIS IS HOW PROPAGANDA WORKS.

Continued ignorance is an effective weapon against the mindless masses.

Easy enough to do. We all just pack up and move to another country…

Or better yet, rather than cower and succumb to defeat, learn to act with intelligence, courage, independence and strength, and learn to stand up for oneself.

The Founders of the U.S. didn’t retreat in defeat, despite innumerable challenges.

Try reading from some of the truly ENLIGHTENED thinkers, those whom influenced the Founders of this country, Writers like Rousseau, Diderot, Hume, Paine, Trenchard & Gordon, Spinoza, Decartes, Locke, Montesquieu, Adam Smith, Voltaire, and others.

Simply surrendering to those whom seek power, or tucking ones tail and retreating certainly ain’t working.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
-Thomas Jefferson-

“Men will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last Priest”.
-Denis Diderot-

“If we should find ourselves beholden to some other, imagined authority, this can only mean that we have constructed the conditions of our own slavery”.

1 Like

What a great education you must have, so well read, to be able to use so many examples of the thinking of others to say absolutely nothing relevant to the subject.

“What a great education you must have, so well read, to be able to use so many examples of the thinking of others to say absolutely nothing relevant to the subject.”

I rarely reply to such dumbassary…
But how sad to be so completely ignorant and helpless as to be unable to find relevant material.
Try reading my previous posts on the subject.
Don’t merely pick & choose, based solely on your own blind anger, ineptitude and cognitive failures.

Rather than wasting time engaging in logical fallacies like Ad hominem (Latin for “to the man” or “to the person”), try reading and exploring some of the above referenced Authors.
Try reading my previous posts to gain a smidgen of factual-based evidence on the subject at hand.
Further, read books on cognitive biases and prejudices.

Rather than merely feeding your likely desperate need for attention herein, stop for a second or two and consider my previously provided information.

That being said, enjoy your life of benightedness and nescience.

I refuse to further placate your seeming incomprehension.

“Responsibility for these decisions rests with leadership of the communications team. That’s me,” he wrote. Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg and Sandberg "relied on me to manage this without controversy…

Then Zuckerberg and Sandberg should be held responsible, not their employee.

2 Likes

Why do they keep giving George Soros more tax cuts?

[The other Smoothe JB wants to know:
 Who are the members of the Vanguard Group?]

I don;t enjoy seeing others suffer. I saw gun registration as an invasion of privacy just giving my social security number. I have not done the former and done the latter as a last resort only. I saw Facebook as a gossip site at first and then as a show off place, and later a sharing space. But overall an intrusion of privacy. Never signed on and glad I didn’t.

Wow, thank you for being so magnanimous in this case. I am humbled, for sure. I’ll certainly cherish this moment forever.

You mean that stuff that’s all in bold type to make it look just terribly important while being completely vacuous? Meaningless drivel about rejecting everything corporate and (I guess) living without food, housing, transportation,or employment?

Yeah, that’ll take 'em down in a hurry…

Despite your meaningless contentions to the contrary, I am perfectly capable of finding “relevant material.” What exactly is this relevant to?

Despite your brilliance and superiority, you used the word “whom” incorrectly, and left out possessive punctuation. Reading your previous posts would hardly come under the heading of educational material in any case. Are you calling for armed revolution? Assassination of “tyrants” by “patriots”? Vice-versa? Civil war?

What then?

Instead of tired bromides and overused, out of context quotes, and admonitions to individuals to unilaterally destroy the corporate culture by committing suicide, why don’t you tell us how we, as individuals, can take down the “whole” of corporate America? What are your ideas?

Instead of calling me cowardly for challenging your bloviation, why not tell us what you have done lately that made corporate America tremble in fear? I voted, and made a real difference, by adding to the progressive insurgence that is building every day. I could have stopped using my computer, I guess, sending not only Microsoft but also Google, Facebook and Lowes.com into convulsions, (how it must terrify Jeff Bezos that I shopped at my locally owned hardware last week.)

You should get over yourself. You’re not what you think you are. Condemning ad hominem (I knew what it meant) in a diatribe that is full of it, reeks of a President 45 MAGA rally.

I won’t expect a reply…

1 Like

“*[L]ess reason”?

When zero should be the standard, how do you go lower?

Cool retort.

Another cool retort!

This is quite the scandal. Had Facebook, upon realizing what was going on, informed the public instead of covering up and then becoming complicit in anti-Semitic activity against George Soros, they certainly wouldn’t be in this big a mess. How do you overlook payments in rubles? I must say, I’m still bewildered that folks can be swayed by bullshit they see on Facebook but then, if most of us don’t actually think on our own…

I think you’re close, but more to the point, I’d add thinking TOGETHER, really working through the stages of thesis, antithesis and synthesis is a social and intellectual art we sorely in need of. Interesting in that time is required and busting through the oppression of ‘time is money’.

1 Like