Home | About | Donate

In the Age of Trump, Resistance Movements Must Bring People Together Beyond the Digital Realm

In the Age of Trump, Resistance Movements Must Bring People Together Beyond the Digital Realm

Anne Kaun

When I reached over to switch off my alarm on the morning of 9 November, I wished I had stayed asleep. In the few seconds that I searched for the snooze button, my phone’s notifications had revealed that Trump would almost certainly be the president-elect of the US. I was paralysed.

I remember my late dad saying way that in the nineteen eighties that computors could be the ruin of us. He said that in kind of tongue in cheek manner. Today, I even find that one cannot get a movie schedule without having a phone "ap". I know plenty of people who do not have a "smart " phone nor do they use social media. I understand that that has its benefits but it also has its limits as well. Do I personally believe that more people will come together who normally do not anyway? I mean will more movements start or continue? I do not have the answers but I do not believe so. People today unless they are well off are scrambling or withdrawing because they do not have money. In rural and suburban areas there is often a lack of common meeting areas or people who need to be with others the most lack transportation. So....unless people are fairly well off and live in an urban area where there are plenty of places to congregate, I do not have much hope. Of course just because this has been happening, does not mean it always has to be that way.

Oh here's one: I was called a snowflake by someone on this site. I understand ( I think that it applies to mostly young people ). And I'm a senior. Sometimes people have no idea to whom they are talking while they (we) hide behind our screens.