Home | About | Donate

In the Spirit of the GI Bill, Cancel All Student Debt

In the Spirit of the GI Bill, Cancel All Student Debt

Mary Green Swig, Steven Swig

Once upon a time this country thought big. We survived the Great Depression, fought the Second World War, rebuilt Europe on the Marshall Plan … and provided tuition-free education for college students.

Ask anybody from that era about the G.I. Bill and chances are you’ll hear how someone’s life was changed for the better. That bill educated a generation and provided affordable opportunities to form households and start small businesses. At the same time, and for years afterward, many public colleges and universities charged little or no tuition.

What about those that looked at the math of loans and chose to not borrow, but to remain in their current positions? The nurses aide forgoing nursing school? The paralegal forgoing law school? The mechanic forgoing engineering school? They need to be brought into this very important topic, too. I am not opposed to the concept of a jubilee whatsoever; I just want justice for all...

WiseOwl is right...everyone needs a chance. All student debt, including that incurred back to the 1990s and early 2000s should be wiped clean as well.

This makes no sense at all. Many students are able to pay back their student debt. Are taxpayers supposed to pay off the debts of students who landed jobs at Goldman-Sachs? Of course not. Let's focus on need and not give away taxpayer money to people as a windfall.

What about them? How do you propose we provide a forum for their voices, or justice?

It pays to become informed about the racket that student debt has become. The government is making huge profits, as are all the banks and investors funding the universities through the debt industry.http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/081216/who-actually-owns-student-loan-debt.asp

Another fine example of how capitalism is designed, as a system, to exploit human beings and shift wealth from the poor to the wealthy. Of all the idiotic schemes developed by these cretins, forcing young people to borrow money to get an education is the most absurd. Perhaps the most galling aspect of all this, at least to me, are the huge, obscene salaries the administrators and football coaches receive and the constant building of ever bigger and incredibly expensive facilities, all on the backs of kids who have to borrow money to attend these institutions. Education is a human right, not a commodity, but in the US--everything is for sale.

Are you OK with giving away tax money to Trump who doesn't pay any federal income tax? He's being subsidized.
How about Walmart who pays their workers so little that they must go on federally funded food stamps? We tax payers subsidize Walmart.
What about all of the tax payer dollars being wasted on our military adventurism around the globe? We subsidize the military to the tune of $750 billion tax dollars each and every year.

What do you say we pull $300 billion tax dollars away from the military every year and make education tuition free through college?

The enormous debt effectively cripples the nation, handing opportunities — and therefor the running of the country — ONLY to the wealthy who either don't go ito debt, or can easily pay off their obligations.

Also, we lose the potential contributions of our recently-educated and enthusiastic people to the national good, as they slave for years in less meaningful and underpaid jobs to pay off their debt. We need them NOW to help find solutions that largely effect their future, their world.

As it stands, this unfair system, much like health insurance arbitrarily tied to employers, is designed to keep working people silent and complacent, unable or unwilling to speak their minds freely as long as they owe money.
... This is by its nature ... and EFFECT... , is thoroughly ANTI-DEMOCRATIC, keeping a huge majority of the nation unable or unwilling to participate in the decision-making processes of America.

For those "Security-minded" individuals who frequently like to speak out about the dangers they see posed to our country by "foreign forces": know now that CLEARLY and MEASURABLY this system of selective debt and the silence it creates, if not changed, poses a far greater core threat to a Constitutional America than ALL those supposed "outside forces" piled together. It creates and re-creates the 0.01% monetary dictatorship that worsens daily as it destroys our media, our schools, our minds, our elections, our rights, our economy, our environment, and our justice.

There actually IS one candidate for president this year that completely agrees with these ideas on canceling student debt, ... but because of the inequalities ALREADY existent from years of this rigged game, biased rules have been drawn which do not permitted Dr. Jill Stein to appear on the national debate stage, which is occupied exclusively by two pious, self-serving pawns of the wealthy ... to prevent a national audience from hearing about these ideas. A self-fulfilling prophesy, if there ever was one.

People might actually LIKE or WANT to cancel student debt ... and currently that is "not permitted" by those "in charge" of us — those who would stand to lose THEIR stranglehold on our nation's power structure and economic decisions ... those opposed to democracy in the U.S.

This CAN be changed. It is in our hands to do so. That is the heritage of our Declaration of Independence. But the knowledge must be shared.

The oligarchy does not want educated people. It wants cheap labor hostages of its banks.

We begin to provide a forum by remembering that they are out there, too. It would be a shock to most of them that they missed out on a "get out of debt, free" card. I have no way at this time to vet their lost opportunities; I only wanted to include them in the discussion.

ah, the neoliberal response of the financier. which should surprise no one around here.

many of the former students that are paying on their loans are doing so with incredible sacrifice, and you're suggesting that they keep on struggling while forgiving people like me because I have need? Heck, that would benefit me, personally. Except that it's wrong.

Need tests are what make welfare, welfare. And it's precisely that line of thinking that would sink any attempt at dispensing with this predatory financial system which is really at the heart of the jubilee proposal--not just one more welfare program.

This is about justice and highlighting that a scam was perpetrated on students for years. It's not about supporting the "losers" who just couldn't hack paying off a loan.

Forgive all of it or none of it.

Make sure there's a "them" to include in the first place. This would help immensely. Your assumption that they must exist in significant numbers is almost classist, but we have no idea of how many people took the dignified "oh no, I ain't borrowing that to improve my professional lot in life!" path. I'm sure many did. But is this a debate over the justice of the scam of tying educational achievement to predatory lending or is this a backhanded way to suggest, like many during the foreclosure crisis, that the borrowers should have borne all of the risk and that they consequently deserved what they got?

Does this include parental debt incurred to pay for their children's education?

I agree that needs tests would make it hard to get support for such a program. But there is the reality of having to come up with $1.3 trillion. Some compromises may have to made to get the cost down to something that is realistic. Also, one wonders how many of these students who are having problems paying their debt spent most of their four year partying. From my experience at a large state university there is a whole lot of parting going on and an awful lot of drinking. If it wasn't for grade inflation how many students would actually graduate these days. A few decades ago it was pretty hard to get an A and not that easy to get a B. Many Cs were given out and also a fair number of Ds and Fs. Now if a teacher doesn't give out As like crazy students avoid that teacher's class. Really what is needed are big changes in higher education.

In what year(s) was your experience "at a large state university?"
Why were you there?
Did you partake of any of this "awful lot of drinking and partying?"

The American Dream is a nightmare. Let's be real, OK? Emerging from college (the new "high school diploma," mind you) today, will get most people the kind of jobs their parents found when they emerged from 12th grade. Want to make it to Goldman Sachs, you better have a Masters degree or better. Compounding this issue is the reality that income hasn't kept up with the cost of living. It's a Ponzi scheme, where the people making out are not the students but the lenders.

And don't tell me I don't know WTF I'm talking about. I've paid for two kids to go through the Ivy League, and two through state schools. Three of the four don't make what I made back in 1974, adjusted for inflation.

"Priveleged (sp) subgroup" sounds like a phrase that a conservative Republican would utter.

Cancelling debt is always going to be problematic, far better and much easier to get through is take that debt and transfer it to government. Eliminate all interest payments and charges, and allow them to pay original amount only debt, interest free, out of income as a supplemental charge, for those who achieve an income over a specific threshold and the rate at which the capital only debt is paid off, is subject to how much their income is over the repayment threshold.

How can anyone even start to use the GI Bill as a comparison for a group of individuals that have not made an individual sacrifice for the nation?
There are many programs that help students pay there debt during and after graduation. But they all have a common theme; do something for your community, country, or an organization and you get some great educational financial support. But what I read and see here are individuals that want something for nothing.
Lets see who can finish this quote: "its not what your country can do for you, ..."
our country was not made great from providing handouts to the public, but from the individuals that put themselves physically or financially on the line to better thier lives and others around them. It's individual drive and risk that accumulates into regional and national strength.