Home | About | Donate

In the Warming Arctic Seas

In the Warming Arctic Seas

Subhankar Banerjee

Following is an excerpt from the article, “In the Warming Arctic Seas,” published in the Summer 2015 Issue “Climate’s Cliff” of the World Policy Journal. To read the full article click here.

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Wow, no comments yet?.... where is everyone....
I know, we are all at a loss of words... because, we just cannot wrap our minds around how certain people are willing to sell their soul and every other soul on the planet, down the river of climate destruction.

IS THERE NO SANITY AT THE TOPS OF ANY GOVERNMENT? WITH ALL THOSE BRAINS AT THE TOP IS THE NO ONE THAT CAN PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER AND FIGURE THIS OUT?...

A serious and planned "powering down" is necessary.... It would seem to me that there has to be a few people on this planet that could come up with a plan to HURRY OUR *SSES UP AND DRASTICALLY REDUCE OUR EMISSIONS WITH IN THE NEXT SAY 5 YEARS.... I do not think we have 20 years, or even 15 years.... we are so gone already.... just look at the weather around the US.... I bring "weather" up, because that is a symptom and a consequence..... which affects food production etc.... right now, my garden is getting soaking after soaking ... in the northeast... it is not supposed to rain this much in June here..... my 30 tomato plants are going to be too wet... .my peppers too wet... my beans .... it just won't stop raining.... and I am getting depressed.... I looked up the affects of all this moisture on crops in the mid west.... then, you have the fire in Alaska and .... well, we all get the picture... THEY WILL ALL WAIT TILL THE SITUATION IS SO HORRIBLE, then they'll say, "OH, well, guess we do have climate change so bad we might go extinct." ....and then we will be going extinct... already....
I know my post seems rather weird .... but I feel weird.... I am watching my own demise... or at least my children's...... their future is a big black hole...

....and no, I do not tell them that...

But you must forgive them, because "they are not scientists."

IS THERE NO SANITY AT THE TOPS OF ANY GOVERNMENT? WITH ALL THOSE BRAINS AT THE TOP IS THE NO ONE THAT CAN PUT TWO AND TWO TOGETHER AND FIGURE THIS OUT?...

apparently not. beyond sad.

"The car that saved the world"
Of the 3 basic electric vehicle technologies - all-battery BEVs, hydrogen fuel cell FCEVs, plug-in hybrid PHEVs - which has the most potential to reduce fuel/energy consumption? Answer: PHEVs. This seemingly counter-intuitive potential is based on numerous economic incentives PHEVs offer to drive less. On their small battery pack, a PHEV driving range is only 10-20 miles. This limitation is applicable to more households A Telsa 'S' battery pack is 17x larger, a Nissan Leaf 5x larger. The smaller PHEV battery pack reduces the matching size of rooftop photovoltiac solar arrays, and, complements regional utility grids rather than overwhelm them as would fleets of Tesla coupes. Should we build utility grids to support 100 Teslas or 1700 PHEVs? Each household gains an invaluable backup power source in an emergency grid failure, the means to closely monitor and reduce household energy consumption, the choice - electricity for driving or household use. The limited driving range of PHEVs leads to more routine trips becoming possible without having to drive, whereby more energy efficient modes of travel - walking, mass transit and bicycling - lead to development patterns displace the global economy.

Howdy theinitiate,

I appreciate very much your post. It is authentic from the heart and an echo of sanity that does exist in humanity in these dark times. Sounds trite but keep your chin up in spite of it all. That's what I keep telling myself anyway with much futility smile

Thank you.... much...

Ha!!! Good one...

We can readily accept that a thief who snatches an old lady's purse doesn't give a damn about his victim but somehow we can't seem to accept that a wealthy investor/businessman (and thief of a higher order) simply doesn't care about the victims of his actions! Would it really surprise you to find out that some people know what they are doing to the environment and they simply don't care?

They expect to have the rest of their lifetimes to enjoy the fruits of their thievery without feeling the pain that future generations will have to go through decades from now. Now is easy and that's all that matters. Such is the selfishness of greed... nobody else matters.