Home | About | Donate

In Trump's Dystopia, Movie Theaters Nationwide Screening "1984"

In Trump's Dystopia, Movie Theaters Nationwide Screening "1984"

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

Against the backdrop of an increasingly right-wing Donald Trump presidency, movie theaters around the world will screen 1984 on Tuesday, April 4, marking the date George Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, begins keeping a secret diary in his first act of rebellion against a totalitarian state.

Like "Animal Farm" a discourse on the dangers of a one party State. I think the Soviet Union during Stalin, China under Mao, Germany under Hitler, Cambodia under Pol Pot, and North Korea under the Kim's have come closest to this nightmare vision of Orwell's.

When Bush and Obama railroaded through their executive orders that created the current 'Orwellian' situation, were these same theatres screening 1984 then? No. All I can recall from then was... ...CRICKETS...

Mister trump was most affectionate with oil company people and their pipelines. American made steel there, for freighters global shipping and a wall. The treasury is in the process of being robbed nearly the same way as George Junior's 1st year in office.
=Impeachment by 2018=
if not sooner

Well we are all now, or better be, William Smith.

But in America it is more subtle. However just as real when you are sent to jail for speaking out.

Seriously? You kidding?

When i first read 1984 it was bad, skewed photocopy of a photocopy on A4 size sheets, passed hush, hush from hand to hand.

Here i am about 35 years later having someone compare 1984 to Trump. My best guess is they never read it, or trying to deflect, most likely. here's nice description i found "the Inner Party of Orwell's totalitarian state is founded on a collectivist nightmare called "Ingsoc," dreamed up by intellectuals who believe they are superior to their fellow human beings". Don't sound like Trump to me. Remind you of someone else?

(fart)

Shouldn't intellectuals be in quotes (as it is an oxymoron)

Additionally,

Why the quotes? This in not text from the novel, is it? If you are quoting another source (like say Tom Nichols of thefederalist.com) then you might consider including some reference or citation.

Did you read Tom Nichols article? If you say you didn't me thinks you a liar. What else does Tom have to say??

Google is your friend :slight_smile:

I thought that was a pretty accurate summary of the 1984 world. You disagree? and no, intellectuals should not be in quotes. Real ones do think they are superior and know better how to run others' lives.

Just attended the movie, read the book years ago. Are we really heading in this direction?

"In Oceania at the present day, Science, in the old sense, has almost ceased to exist. In Newspeak there is no word for 'Science'. The empirical method of thought, on which all the scientific achievements of the past were founded, is opposed to the most fundamental principles of Ingsoc."

Orwell. 1984