Home | About | Donate

In Victory for Free Press, Judge Rules Trump Must Immediately Restore Jim Acosta's Press Pass

In Victory for Free Press, Judge Rules Trump Must Immediately Restore Jim Acosta's Press Pass

Common Dreams staff

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates...

Looks like the Constitution still matters.

2 Likes

Okay, I guess, but let’s leave the champagne corked until Julian Assange and Edward Snowden are free to go where and when they choose (see article above).

6 Likes

The first question that Jim Acosta should ask Trump when called upon in the next Stress Conference is, “Mr. President, when Robert Mueller issues numerous indictments for various felonies to you, do you believe that you will retain the ability to appoint federal judges?”

1 Like

Victory for the so-called “free press”? Not bloody likely. It’s a victory for the corporatist press to continue as they were.

Fail: "It appears increasingly likely Wikileaks founder and publisher Julian Assange will wind up in the clutches of the U.S. government.

It’s hardly surprising, given that in ten years’ time, Wikileaks published more classified information than all other media combined. It exposed human rights abuses, government spying, torture, and war crimes on an unprecedented scale."

Wikileaks so infuriates the USA’s most violent, corrupt, and criminal institutions that Hillary Clinton half-jokingly suggested drone-bombing Assange. Other U.S. politicians called for his execution by other means…"

4 Likes

This may be a victory, but what the headline is missing is: THIS IS A VICTORY FOR THE CORPORATE PRESS! Because until it is victory for the REAL free press, WKILEAKS…it is no victory at all.

2 Likes

Don’t get too far astray. This was about Trump. It’s always about Trump because he is the fly in the soup of America’s kitchen.

1 Like

Who cares about this Acosta piece of crap? This one per center who does not do a thing for society? Let’s talk about meaningful things in life like the environment or the fact that over half of Americans cannot provide for basic needs.

2 Likes

A win for the people of America! I suppose the baby Trump will refuse to call on him. You know how a bully acts when put down. Maybe he will grow up someday instead of acting like little Richie Rich.

He is in his seventies and is not growing up just growing older and fatter and meaner.

That would be Helen Thomas – known as the Dean of the White House Press Corps when she was there.

5 Likes

Helen Thomas.

1 Like

Oops, posted before I saw yours.

Yea, I believe Obama deep sixed this great lady when she brought up something favorable to the Palestinians.

So far, but only in a minimal way. This was a ruling on the concept of due process, not the First Amendment. In other words, Trump didn’t give Acosta the chance to argue his case. That can be “cured” by starting the process over, giving Acosta a hearing or other process (paper filings perhaps) to argue his case and then revoking his hard pass. At that point, Acosta would probably be screwed on the due process front.

The real issue is whether Acosta has a First Amendment right to the pass. This is a more difficult question and one Acosta may well lose, although there are many important Constitutional issues that support his position, not the least of which is that this is arguably an action to censor speech on the basis of its content – the gold standard for free speech protection. If he loses on the First Amendment issue, though, then I suspect you can only count this victory as a Pyrrhic one.

I remember Helen Thomas…what a fireball! SHe was a member of the White House Press Corps for 60 years. When asked to define the difference between democracy in the U.S. with that of Cuba he said, “I don’t have to answer questions from Helen Thomas.”

She was said to respect the presidency, but was never intimidated by the person inhabiting the office. When asked which of the Presidents had given her the most access she replied: “None. They are all difficult. Once they get in the White House, the iron curtain comes down. Everything is classified. The color of the walls—they would even classify that.”

Ford described her as practicing a fine blend of journalism and acupuncture. Clinton’s press secretary said she was always waiting on him when he arrived to work each morning with questions, before he had his coffee.

Her press passes are in the Smithsonian, where the curator says she epitomized the White House Press Corp’s duty…to curb presidential power.

That my friends, is what this case is about. I say “is” because it’s not over. The judge just ruled his due process rights were violated and the White House prematurely took his pass. The press corps does not serve at the pleasure of the President, but as a duty to the people. We all know how the ruling should go, but in this roller coaster ride through the twilight zone we are all on anything could happen.

1 Like

Castro said he didn’t have to answer Tohomas’ questions.

1 Like

Helen Thomas told a rabbi Jews should “get the hell out of Palestine” and “go home” to Poland and Germany. It was at a White House event marking Jewish Heritage Month. She was an 82 year old born in Kentucky of Lebanese immigrants

1 Like

" Who cares about this Acosta piece of crap?"

My sentiments exactly. He is nothing but a narcissist himself. That whole incident was staged. And as much as I despise Trump, he was right to call Acosta rude, because he was rude and was trying to play some kind of gotcha game on Trump. " His ‘questions’ to Trump during the press conference amounted to political statements and personal accusations." (quote from www.MoonofAlabama.org). Acosta should be ashamed of himself. This is no victory. The judge indicated that he had doubts about whether this was a First Amendment issue as presented by CNN and Acosta, but that he had to apply precedent as he sees it. Therefore the ruling is limited and could be revisited in the future if the White House provided necessary due process. Read the article on Moon of Alabama.