Home | About | Donate

In West Virginia, Historic Statewide Teacher Walkouts to Head Into Fourth Day

In West Virginia, Historic Statewide Teacher Walkouts to Head Into Fourth Day

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Thousands of teachers and other school personnel rallied outside in the West Virginia Capitol on Monday, where union officials announced that the first-ever statewide walkout underway would continue for a fourth day.

You are starting to figure it out in West Virginia. They will take till you have nothing left to give, so you might as well fight.

More power to ya West Virginia teachers, I mean “scapegoats”: society, meaning the stupid, love to blame teachers for their own failure to pay attention and/or try their best. The useful pawn idiot loves a scapegoat.

Awesome to see. But you’d better take it all the way. The Oligarchy HATES thinking, fighting people who see the Truth about the rigged system. They will crush you under their jackboots. Keep it up, I’m in awe of you.

The Third Industrial Revolution: A Radical New Sharing Economy

From VICE - Economist Jeremy Rifkin with a compelling presentation looking at relevant history toward situating ourselves for [a Manhattan Project scale] transition facing the sixth Mass Extinction and envisioning it within 30 years.

I had the pleasure of getting to know Larry Gibson (1946-2012), West Virginia’s chief opponent of mountaintop removal methods of coal mining. Not but four years after his death did the state listen to the BS from candidate Trump insisting that he was going to “bring back coal”. And WV dutifully dedicated its electoral ballots Trump’s way. Call it Stockholm Syndrome or what you may, but this phenomenon (not unique to WV) is real and tragic. There is a lot of beauty and a lot of banjo music in the state–and I like them both. There are, however, few non-extractive enterprises to help the state forward. I wish I had answers, but am only left with observations. Wishing you progress WV–wishing you progress.

I also find WV a beautiful state and want to mention one small but important ongoing enterprise in the southern area. There is a program to teach and foster small bee raising communities.
Delighted to see that all 55 of the counties are participating in the teachers strike. solidarity is the only way that strikes are effective.

There was a time during my youth when America’s education system had one competitor, Japan. A poorly educated population is the enemy of democracy.

This is the kind of action this country needs from everyone right now, not just teachers.

As Trump retreats every weekend to Murder-a-Lago to spend the money fraudulently stolen from the American People in the Republican Tax Bill, We the People must organize and protest the theft of our nation, and be unrelenting about it.
In every major city, in front of every state house, every local courthouse, every single place that houses Republicans or Democrats.

If this Democratic Party Establishment wasn’t in this up to their necks, they would be the ones who organize these protests.

economics 401 thanks for the link
Sure wish the educational system was up to the task but the dumbing down has been a systemic effort for over four decades

What is really interesting about the teachers strike is that this is happening without the support of union leadership or the democratic toadies in the statehouse. The teachers finally had it with their union leadership and basically gave them the middle finger. Union leaders tried to use divide and conquer strategy to stop this spontaneous protest but frontline workers said, get in line or get out of the way. Democrats in the statehouse don’t know what to do because they are so used to cowering and groveling for pennies. Good on the teachers, kick power in the teeth and don’t stop. This is the only way change happens. A big progressive wave is coming.

Never –

Attacks on unions have included many methods – from corrupting the leadership or co-opting it in order to change/limit the agenda – all the way to using fake mediation – and MAFIA.

I still find it distressing that what’s left of these unions seem to still be putting their trust in Dem Party.
Same for Planned Parenthood. I don’t get it.

This also includes a good part of the feminist movement looking to the Dem Party. Puzzling.

The teachers finally had it with their union leadership and basically gave them the middle finger. Union leaders tried to use divide and conquer strategy to stop this spontaneous protest but frontline workers said, get in line or get out of the way.

Didn’t know that.

Of course, GUNS are also as big a threat to school teachers now as the right wing SMEARS.

Nevermind –
What is really interesting about the teachers strike is that this is happening without the support of union leadership or the democratic toadies in the statehouse.Democrats in the statehouse don’t know what to do because they are so used to cowering and groveling for pennies. The teachers finally had it with their union leadership and basically gave them the middle finger. Union leaders tried to use divide and conquer strategy to stop this spontaneous protest but frontline workers said, get in line or get out of the way. Good on the teachers, kick power in the teeth and don’t stop. This is the only way change happens. A big progressive wave is coming.

West Virginia may be a red state, but at least they have unionized teachers.

Having good schools and education is THE one thing that falls on state governments. And the one thing they should be able to do is adequately fund the public school system. But it is amazing how often the legislatures fail to do this. And so often the red states are the worst.

West Virginia may be a red state, but at least they have unionized teachers who can take collective action to call out the governor and the legislature to do something positive for teachers and by extension for education.

I wouldn’t take this governor’s word that he is going to “try” to do somethings. No reason to end the strike now.

How West Virginia teachers’ salaries compare: https://data.oecd.org/eduresource/teachers-salaries.htm

I am convinced that Bernie would have carried this state.

The Colorado model of small producers growing hemp with no restrictions would fit perfectly here given the number of small farmers. Unfortunately, the odds of that happening are none to zero as cannabis will not be legalized until it can be controlled by large corporate interests greatly reducing the economic benefit.