Home | About | Donate

In Win for Transparency, Campbell Takes Landmark Move to Label GMOs

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

This is great. But if we rely on “informed consumer choice” to stop the accelerating dismantling of the ecology, without directly addressing the rampant power of the looting class at the heart of the political economy, we are fooling ourselves.

We need a powerful political ecology movement that understands what’s at stake, and PUTS AN END to the rampant power of the looting class, and to the extractivist war on nature exemplified by industrial petrochemical GMO agriculture. “Consumerism” should not be the forum in which humanity addresses issues of economic destruction of ecology.

5 Likes

A real “win” would be removing GMO ingredients from the product altogether

4 Likes

A real “win” will be ending extractive industrial petrochemical GMO agriculture, and instituting intensive holistic agroecology and permaculture.

4 Likes

Who woulda thunk it! Campbells! I haven’t eaten their stuff since I was a kid.

Gotta take the wins as we get them.

Here’s a link to tell them that yes, you did good but no, GMO’s do suck. http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/connect-with-campbell/

2 Likes

Yes and no.
It will stop governments making food labeling mandatory, but it cannot stop voluntary labeling. And if the companies see that will help their sales, they will do just that, as id Campbell.

Having said that those trade agreements, which give corporations power over they sovereignty of states are poison to democracy

I prefer membership to the AIIB, an economic association, which already comprises ~70%v population (my rough estimate) and a similar percentage of the planet’s landmass/natural resources and does not interfere with the internal affairs and laws of the member countries

1 Like

Why can’t we have cans that don’t leach chemicals? Their product is still laced with chemicals from can and contents.

3 Likes

The same lawyers and doctors that said cigarettes do not cause cancer now are working for Monsanto and the food industry that says GMOS are good for you. This is a victory, a small victory but it will grow and will not stop until all foods are labeled and the consumer will decide to eat frankenfood. We eat only organic.

I don’t buy their soups, etc. I make my soup stocks from old dead animals, mostly.:wink: This is a win for college kids and old bachelors everywhere, though. :grin: Now, about all that extra salt, added sugar and… Oh wait, we don’t want to destroy all the " flavor " in our food, now do we?

2 Likes

This may be no more than a publicity and marketing gimmick but, if it is enforced, one we all can certainly applaud and encourage for all food processing corporations.The problem being that these trade agreements preclude government interference with corporate profits. The trans Canada Lawsuit is only the first of many to come.

3 Likes

A day late and a dollar short, Mr & Mrs Campbell Soup (“Personhood”, don’t ya know.) And what’s with the plastic lining inside of of those cans? Finally, what’s this calling us “consumers”? Just who or what started the demeaning label of “consumer” on us folks? Boy, if there was ever a bigger “wolf in sheep’s clothing”, it’s you Mr & Mrs Campbell Soup!

1 Like

I was not aware of that. It appears to be a clear case of Monsanto bribing a corrupt state legislature. I have always believed, that law can prevent untrue or unproven statements on labels, but statements of fact should not be unlawful.

It might help, that Monsanto has suffered a series of setbacks lately:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/toxicity-of-gmos-and-pesticides-seralinis-team-wins-defamation-and-forgery-court-cases/5492480

There are also countries in Latin America, which have issued bans on GMOs

2 Likes

If there’s anything to the Chipotle bacteria being of a strain not common to the wild, meaning it was planted, shortly after they announced they wouldn’t be using gmos anymore…(apologies for that) then it seems like a good time (or better time depending on your perspective) to avoid Campbell products. The biotech industry might be retaliating… again.

As to bpa companies that have phased out bpa still use liners like bp not a that just haven’t been proven to be endocrine disruptors… yet.

There’s so many reasons (personal, environmental, political, etc) to avoid these products and plastic in general. Vote with your wallet. Stop giving money to these companies while you still have some!

1 Like

By an overwhelming number the people also want country of origin labels on meat.

1 Like

At least you can choose, and if they are so great, Campbell’s must be proud to advertise their presence.

1 Like

Way to go, Campbell’s! Even baby steps are steps. :O)

I would not use the word transparency as the article did. Are governmental agencies or, heaven forbid, ‘we the people’ going to be free to see their sourcing documents? I don’t think so.

And the voluntary labeling of a product as ‘non-GMO’ is hardly proof that the product is, in fact ‘GMO-free’ unless it is backed up with independent verification.

It appears to be a publicity stunt of some sort and I expect other huge processed food conglomerates to join the ‘voluntary’ labeling bandwagon.