Home | About | Donate

'Incredible News' as Obama Pulls Plug on Offshore Drilling Plans

Incredible news is right. We have come a long way since the end of Obama's first term. But we need to keep the momentum going.

This announcement signals that Obama is more certain that his TPP, TTIP and TISA "trade deals" will be signed by the end of his term, giving him more confidence to move forward on actions that will be nullified by his trade deals while making his base feel good enough to vote Hillary in to continue his transfer of wealth from the 99% to the 1%.

For example: 25 of TPP's 30 chapters enable corporate tribunals to obtain monetary compensation from governments whose regulations impact anticipated profits, effectively nullifying those regulations.

"its Paris climate goal of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5°C"

We may have already passed that now.
From yesterdays article:
" from NASA’s graph of long-term temperature trends, if we add 0.2°C as a conservative estimate of the amount of human-produced warming that occurred between the late 1800s and 1951-1980, then the February result winds up at 1.55°C above average. If we use 0.4°C as a higher-end estimate, then February sits at 1.75°C above average. Either way, this result is a true shocker, and yet another reminder of the incessant long-term rise in global temperature resulting from human-produced greenhouse gases"

Those on the Titanic could have built a raft or 2 as the ship was sinking.

BINGO! Obama never stops his conning.

I would characterize us as cynics if we said we were not going to vote Sanders because he is an outsider.

When we connect the dots to conclude that Obama is following the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) play book to advance the 1% at the expense of the 99% as we have on this issue, I characterize us as applying deductive logic to temper idealism while overcoming denial, and singing lyrics from the rock opera Tommy:"we won't be fooled again".

So will the oil companies that won those to-be cancelled offshore leases through competitive bids be compensated for their loss? They deserve their money back, correct?

We have not yet passed 1.5C. However, we may have passed 1C. I think the hope is that although we will pass 2C at some point, by removing CO2 from the atmosphere during the second half of this century that we will be below 2C by 2100. One thing you can say about Obama is that he has given us a chance. It was his idea going back to the Copenhagen climate conference in 2009 to have bottom-up voluntary pledges to reduce emissions rather than the top-down legally binding targets that were part of the Kyoto Protocol. The developing countries never would have agreed to legally binding targets that they would have to meet. So now, thanks to Obama essentially all countries in the world are cooperating to reduce emissions. And the reporting process is legally binding. Probably now he really does deserve a Nobel Prize.

I agree with the posters who are pointing out the obvious that the trade agreements will nullify this ban. But even if that were not the case, why is the ban only until 2022? If it is a bad idea to continue this drilling, then why just take a 6 year hiatus before it is resumed? Is that really something that is cause for great celebration?

With the current value of expensive to extract arctic oil low, and knowing the TPP and TTIP will give them the green light to drill, the oil companies are complicit in this action.

My daily Greenpeace email tells me that this action is limited to the Atlantic. Alaska is not part of the deal.

Seeing how Obama is handing out incentives to mayors and governors who agree to promote his TPP, TTIP and TISA, this Atlantic drilling action is likely an incentive for Trudeau that makes his base feel good, while Trudeau helps Obama push TPP and TTIP through.

I'll take these crumbs for the time being and hope that once Senator Sanders is in the Whitehouse, he will rescind these offshore drilling permits into perpetuity along with nullifying the US participating in the TTP, signing the Kyoto Accord/Protocol, placing a lifetime ban on fracking, and a permanent moratorium on the construction of ANY massive pipeline project like Keystone XL (or in partnership with any Canadian pipeline project).

I will add my cynical view of Obama&Co's hidden agenda. This Prez has done everything in his power to hand further exploitation of Mother Earth to corporate swine. As others have noted Obama's continued push along with his RepubliCon partners to pass the TPP, TTIP and other Trojan Horse deals masquerading as 'free trade" will by-pass numerous environmental and worker protections. An NPR reporter took polls and statistics on voters views on TTP "free trade" but never one word on corporate domination of the negotiations or final deal! Pathetic!

Obama's global corporate - vulture capitalist DLC policies, along with Bill Clinton's before him will, they think, be continued under Hillary - we must work overtime to see that never comes to pass! This announcement is another Obama "two-step" scam - one step forward and two steps back on environmental protection issues, and for the 99%.........

The results last night are a punch in the gut. Now the establishment whores will take over..........

Unfortunately, however, the damage has already been done. Obama's announcement comes too little, too late.

It appears Obama is doing exactly the same things Clinton/Gore did shortly before leaving office, knowing full well their decisions would be negated immediately after the next administration took office. A PR stunt is what this amounts to, as we'll learn next year when the next Clinton takes office.