Home | About | Donate

'Incredibly Dark Day for Voting Rights': With Support of Trump Judges, Federal Court Upholds Florida Poll Tax Weeks Before Election

Thanks Wado, much appreciated. If RKM are someone’s initials, no, that is not me, if an acronym, I don’t get that either. This is Emphyrio aka V.
I very much like and appreciate your statement of moral compass, principles, and environmental consciousness/recognition of Gaia, our Mother! My intent and activist focus as well. Peace and take good care Bren. V.

1 Like

Definitely not above ground Chappy.

I’m not a writer , so I come here common dreams for beautfuly written comments .Folks passing knowledge .Wado .Thank you in Cherokee .Peace and unconditional unity. Walks Tall

1 Like

I’d tell you if I knew something to be factual, but I don’t.

I suggest asking Gandolf. He’s a native of Wisconsin.

Yeah, I just read a couple news stories. Not pretending to know anything too specific either. Just don’t trust Wisconsin’s Supreme Court to do anything that might be friendly for voters.

Then for heaven’s sake, use this. Get it on the front page of every news paper in the country in addition to what Trump is doing to the postal service in order to steal the election. Get it on every social feed such as facebook etc. Trump is handing you the ammunition. Now use it.

First of all, this is not about Florida not letting convicted felons, it’s about Florida making people pay all fines and penalties before they vote (effectively a poll tax). Vermont allows convicted felons vote while they are still in prison, convicted murderer or not because they believe voting is a right, not a privilege. And yes, I want everyone to vote…everyone.

Forcing poor people to pay outstanding healthcare fees to get healthcare they have been paying for, (ofte because they were forced to sign up when they were injured and went to a hospital or clinic, they were literally forced to to get care… This is a truly evil situation, intended to keep poor people from even going to the hospital, that prevents millions of people from getting healthcare, killing a lot of poor Americans before their time. The money thats spent on their behalf by the government actually then goes to lower RICH PEOPLES (typically the well to do self employed professionals who play golf with their senator or congressperson, allowing the country to have an illusion of a functional system, but its all a big lie…

Previously, before the changes made in the ACA, (which seem likely to violate a WTO rule dating back to 1998 in the Understanding on Comitments in Financial Services, standstill and so it seems to me must be temporary only, an emergnency measure,) at least 10% or all the people in the US were just plain uninsurable at any price. Health insurers did not wantthem as customers, perid.

If they did sign up it was under the condition that their pre existing condition would not be covered, ever or for some period, which could be years. But in many cases, whatever condition had existed before was not covered.

Please go to Youtune and watch some of the hearings they had on “post claim underwriting” in Congess, it really is a must see. This is what we’re likely to be forced back into because of the evil WTO GATS agreement. Unless some miracle happens. (No, it is not Trump doing this, its the WTO GATS agreement, and its likely not something they are going to volunteer - the Dems must have some deal with Trump to take the blame for everything! (perhaps in exchange he gets to run up the bill on the taxpayers tab )

I suppose there is some tiny chance that there is some other reason the US got to ignore the standstill it wrote itself for longer than the ten years, for an emergency measure, does anybody know? The emergency would have been the Global Financial Crisis of 2008 - actually began in 2010, it seems. )

Look back to 1998. What has healthcare like in 1998 in the US for people with chronic illnesses that rendered them uninsurable? It was hell.

But nonetheless se wanted to FREEZE it there, why? because it was enticement to foreign firms to set up shop here and lock out single payer forever, by creating an entitlement that would be too expensive for the country to get out of. A pretext to steal away democracy…

february 26 1998, was the effective date of the standstill, and the ceiling for our own regulation, except in an emergency, rich or poor, unless you had huge amounts of money - if you were say a cancer survivor or had any of the more than 1000 conditions on an example list I saw, and still have somewhere, you became an uninsurable. This situation has now been rigged with the WTO. Not by the GOP. The truth is, both parties rigged it, and the Democratic Party gets free (actually enslaved) votes forever, while lying about its real cause. Even Bernie Sanders was afraid to tell the truth, about ths all important issue. referring to pretend it was still around the 1990 or so before the GATS existed, than tell his supporters we needed to get out of GATS first before making any of the changes he ran on, or we would be walking into traps.

Back in 1998, even people who thought of themselves as fairly rich - yes even those people (barely) could afford the state “high risk pools” - But poor people were just uninsurable, and as long as they had a job and an income, they likely fell through the cracks of other kinds of help until their fungible assets were gone.

NO OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY does this to people. bernie was right about that.

So why did he wipe the asses of the Democratic Leadership by hiding this most horrible of problems, an issue that would have meant sure victry for him in 2016, or 2020.

Now, instead we will be tossed back into the abyss, its pretty clear, and people wont have a clue what is really going on. We can bet on that.

And we will likely also ose the affordability of Medicare if Biden triggers its loss of GATS exemption, see the Annex on Financial Services, right there at the top.

We’ll be thrust back into the status quo as of 1998 with both candidates, we can be fairly certain.

Why arent we making GATS and its theft of democracy an issue? Why are we letting sleazeballs steal our votes, again and again and again?

This system, which is being forced on the whole world due to our inaction, is killing alot of people, globally, not just here.

Watch the hearings on post claim underwriting, also called rescission, on Youtube.

So many did not qualify for medicaid and Medicare did not start until they were in their 60s. (unlike Canada’s Medicare, a single payer system, so it was and remains excempt from the WTO GATS. As long as it remains free and Canada does not sell health insurance)

This is a really criminal system that both parties are devoting a lot of energy to hiding as its the real cause of a murder machine thats extremely profitable to multinational corporations.

The entire country is literally being held hostage by terrorists who kill more than 200 of us each day.

Laws that limit voting for any reason should be prohibited. Election Day itself should be a holiday.

Debts should not be a limit to voting, if they were a huge number of people would be disenfranchised, all of them poor.

Given that the government is outsourcing their own work to temporary workers all around the globe, they should forgive people for having debts.

We all should be more forgiving about everything, except others stealing democracy.

1 Like

No, people care about life, politics ia not that important compared to lots of other things.

The right believes they’re right for America.

It’ll be a cold day in Hell before that ever comes to pass.

1 Like

Yeah, if we only knew the extent of the Orange Menace’s debt to Russian Oligarchs, not only would we know how compromised he is to the Russians, but we could refuse to let him vote.

Well, it’s just a thought.

I can’t believe you seriously posted this reply. Your name really suits you. Smh.

It’s called genocide everywhere else.

I agree, its genocide here too.

Did I make it clear that we’re almost invariably going to lose the pre-existing conditions protections for the well to do that the ACA put there in 2010, after the Global Financial Crisis. (thats the excuse we likely used to break the inflexible WTO standstill rule)

ttps://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/54-ufins_e.htm

We will also likely lose medicare if its “expanded” to begin before Social Security as then the WTO rules require its privatization by stealth.

tps://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/serv_e/10-anfin_e.htm

probably we’ll also lose the jobs of tens of millions of us, since they actually made that deal 26 years ago (actually, really 34 yrs ago, at Punta Del Este, September 15-20 1986 -

We could lose all of our outsourceable jobs. (At least 40% possibly as high as half or more) This is the big goal of the ruling class, to pull this off without firing a short, a sort of coup, to end democracy except in name only, and take over the future, without being too obvious. Its already been happening for 26 years.

A global recalibration of wealth upward and dissolution of the social contract.

which was described briefly in this UN document in 1989: “A/RES/44/232. Trends in the transfer of resources to and from the developing countries and their impact on the economic growth and sustained development of those countries”

ttps://digitallibrary.un.org/record/82559?ln=en (see 1f which describes services, i.e. labor )

Workers in developed countries then can live off their savings, or work off their debts to society in prisons, enjoy privatized roads and services, and so on.

ttp://www.iatp.org/files/GATS_and_Public_Service_Systems.htm

Its fake, both parties are right wing. The DNC folks are right wingers pretending to be centrists.

Both (fake) parties are colluding.

Talk about issues. Speak to and with people.

Why cant the DNC engage with people? Its as if they have completely been fixated on trump, while they are ignoring all of the country’s problems too.

They are both fiddling while Rome burns.

1 Like

This is outrageous. The Democrats need to go on strike, in fact with such an illegal president just postpone the whole thing until this has been overthrown!
Whatever he does, he won’t get in! There is no where his ass is going to remain in the W/House! NO WAY!

What is a stand still and who is GATS? GATT was, I think, superseded by the WTO. BTW, how does a country exit all that mess?
If we do M4A, are we exempt from whatever this diabolical shit is?
I watched the video and I see how that would work, but I couldn’t get life insurance when I was 40 because I was a sober drunk, and I’m not sure what it means to this topic. Did I miss something? How long does it take you to write all that stuff? How do you hold it all in your head? I’ll need a brain cleanse to sleep again.
What do we need to do to escape this trap we’re in? Class action suit? Form another government that assumes no liabilities from the USA? Guerrilla war?
The Constitution is a POS. It gave power to plutocrats and oligarchs because James Madison thought that would make his creation immortal and because he got “The Prince.” To hold power is a great reason to hold power. So that’s what we have. Ecologically illiterate assholes pushing the envelope of what they can get by with. How do we get out from under it? There’s a helluva lot more of us than there is of them, and I would submit that as the reason their foundations provide the police with all the goodies - training by Israeli murderers of Palestinian children, war weapons, propaganda that demonizes the people. . . We don’t really need the police. The rich do, on our dime.
It’s pretty goddamn sickening to realize what a shithole we’re in.
I’m a Green, I’m ecologically literate, I have two Masters degrees, and I did not see the shithole. I’m also a Vietnam vet with three VA diagnosed service connected mental illnesses taking pretty potent meds that sometimes give me a feeling of irrational well-being. It’s crap, right?
I was ready to die in Vietnam, and I still am, except for the promises I said I’d keep, and do, so far. Is this something a lot of people are going to have to die to escape?
How do we escape it, otherwise? As the kids say, WTF?

The WTO is totally ecologically illiterate. The Sixth Mass Extinction doesn’t give a fuck about WTO rules.

You wrote a lot of stuff.

Sit down, stop talking for a second, I will try to answer your questions one by one, with the caveat that I am not a trade lawyer. But trade lawyers have explained this in a number of papers which I have tried to get people to read, you can find links to many on my site - which is linked in my profile, click the Z to get the URL. Start with the external links directory, right at the top.

“What is a stand still”

Its a freeze on all new regulation after a certain date, the standstill date, and it means that if a demand is made all the regulation has to be rolled back to that date.(usually the beginning of a part of the agreement or a revious date referred to - in the case of TISA it uses the same GATS dats, so for FS’s it would be that date in 1998. Or possibly 1995 for other kinds of regulation? I dont know. Ask Lori Wallach.

Let me give you two applicable examples from our real world. One os from TISA and it binds the “autonomous level” of liberalization . Its right at its beginning. The other is from GATS and it applies to all financial services.

Its here
WTO | legal texts> “Understanding on Committments in Financial Services” Ministerial Decisions & Declarations

" A. Standstill

**Any conditions, limitations and qualifications to the commitments noted below shall be limited to existing non-conforming measures.** 

B. Market Access

Monopoly Rights

1. In addition to Article VIII of the Agreement, the following shall apply: 

Each Member shall list in its schedule pertaining to financial services existing monopoly rights and shall endeavour to eliminate them or reduce their scope. Notwithstanding subparagraph 1(b) of the Annex on Financial Services, this paragraph applies to the activities referred to in subparagraph 1(b)(iii) of the Annex."

*and who is GATS? GATT was, I think, superseded by the WTO. *
BTW, how does a country exit all that mess?

GATS is one of 16 I think original WTO agreements. It was negotiated during the late 80s and early 90s. It is a global deal betwen the oligarchs of global South and North. It is intended to hijack democracy, and prop up the oligarchical kinds of governments that make lots of profits for Westernn companies profitable by keeping wages down and prices up. They want to prevent the kinds of world that people thought was inevitable in the 1990s and earlier.

To end the race to the top on living standards and quality of life it replaces it with a race to the BOTTOM.

It binds services “everything you cannot drop on your foot” some say,
and everything having to do with them, 80% or so of a modern economy.
Its kind of like NAFTA for the rest of the jobs.

Look up the varous definitions of services supplied in the exercise of governmental authority in it, they are at Article I:3 b+c and in the Annex on Financial Services

“If we do M4A, are we exempt from whatever this diabolical shit is?”

DO NOT USE THAT NAME WITH ME, okay? Because its a big lie. Its really medicare for nobody, okay?

If we had had a SINGLE PAYER system, way back in the 1990s, we could keep it if we didnt change it one bit. That would be all we needed from healthcare from birt (actually conception) until death.

With no tiers at all. If rich people wanted to hire their own concierge medicine, etc. They would be welcome to go to some other jurisdiction . Because single payer is an equal system for everybody, all the time, with no insurance. Thats the way it has to be done. These are rigid WTO rules.

Okay, lets suppose we could go back intime to 1990, and we had created a SINGLE PAYER system which replaced Medicare and all other healthcare systems and replaced all insurance, (something Biden has already said he would veto) which he cannot do under any circumatsnces without leaving the relevant GATS sections fors, likely soon at tremendous cost because we would literally have to buythe jobs back from oher counties, particularly India…

I need to add here that Sanders (although it would be obvious that Sanders would not be allowed to ignore the need to fix healthcare WITH SINGLE PAYER and not something else, having run on it,. So we would have to submit the Article XXI petition to and leave GATS, so likely would try to but would need a big national push to get out of this thing because there would e a cost, one we are likely to pay in the loss of other sectors jobs, (instead of the healthcare relevant ones) But I think he could do that because when it hits the light of day, nohbody is going to want to be associated with this dirtiest of deals and I think they will let us do it ONLY IF IT IS ALL OUT IN THE OPEN, THOUGH.

Trump would be in the exact same situation.

On the use of a poisonous confusing name?

What is Biden “expands medicare” even just a little bit?

M4A under the GATS agreement for us now, as we would immediately, automatically lose Medicare if we expanded its scope

We basically already promised not to do anything in those areas, because thiose jobs are on the table, as bargaining chips. I am not a trade lawyer but several expert trade lawyers have looked at the Understanding’s standstill and say that the document freezes further regulation in all financial services (and like services) at the 1998 level.

Its obvious that “existing only” means unless it was existing on February 26, 1998. the changes made in the ACA are because of this standstill, requyired to be temporary unless we pursue the modification procedure in Article XXI of the GATS. A good question for Biden would be is he planning to do that so he could keep the ACA. Similarly with Trump or Sanders, if he reentered the race after a resignation by Biden. (He would have to if this trick was exposed)

What is the time limit on a temporary emergency measure? (Based on the 2010 Global Financial Crisis) I am guessing ten years, so 2010, 20202, but its just a guess. Maybe I’m wrong, I am not a lawyer but its clearly comon sense that we not break rules that are listed so prominently, literlly the first rule in the relevant document.

IMHO, (NOT AN ATTORNEY SO _ this is speculative, BUT - if we violate that we’ll be asking for punishment. I actually suspect we’re being led into a trap. Yes, I suspect all our politicians are crooks for doing this. Unfortunately even people who many think are saints like Bernie Sanders. Because he’s taking advantage of our ignoranceto recommend we allow something really destructive to our existing social safety net, without warning people or telling them this is all going to be happening in a context of massive job loss to foreign staffing firms which may get a free pass to bring in as many workers as they need to do business, which could potentially become tens of millions of workers. I fact the WTO’s intent is to lower the price of labor all around the world quite a bit, making business much more profitable for its owners, but a real struggle for workers, undermining all existing workers with a new kind of what amounts to indentured servitude. Thats the goal is creating a new global default of totally disempowered labor. This is a dirty trick on the entire planet, its not immigration. It tries to get us to conrfuse the two, it actually captures and displaces real immigration. I am pro immigration because it doesnt depress wages, legal immigration is good for the economy and a country should be able to control the numbers. What they want is to take the control out of our hands and give it to the WTO. This could happen at any time, if we lose the dispute thats pending. (which is not about visa fees, its about the quotas, and wages also, whether we can demand other countries firms pay their workers a US legal wage).

In particular “expanding Medicare” beyond the scope of a “statutory system of social security” program (so as to cover people who are not covered by social security, so any earlier) is clearly prohibited it seems to me, the text at the beginning of the Annex on Financial Services.

So we have been warned, in the place which is the relevant one, since we traded away the right to regulate these sectors 26 years ago, so why are the politicians all pretending they never did this?

My guess is because its been a reliable vote getter, they dont want to fix or give up, despite them having traded it away. (Basically traded the jobs away, people should be concernbed about the potential loss of millions of jobs because the quotas we have been using to limit them is under attack by India. I suspect that may be why Biden picked Kamala Harris as his running mate, because this dispute is definitely going to be a major issue in the coming years, whether we win or perhaps more likely, lose. Then they are going to have to find jobs for all the people displaced from work, and somehow explain to them how they were lying all that time.

Are politicians trying to trap us, so that we lose Medicare and/or Social Security or both?

It would appear that way. There are lots of reasons why they might be doing that now but I think the obvious reason is that as they are obviously shifting to a different work model, globally, one based on “movement of natural persons” (guest workers) they would like to put aside the burden of responsibility for these programs, so that “we the people” would not have unrealistic expectations of them they would not be able to keep, having traded away many of the better paying jobs that sustain Social Security on the incoming side. People would be having so many financial disasters, I can see why they would want no responsibility for keeping people alive in such a catastrophe.

Perhaps they could then eliminate the cap on taxation of benefits or raise the Social Security tax on the remaining Americans, while eliminating it in guest workers. (its unfair to make them pay taxes they quitye likely may not be able to use)

"I watched the video and I see how that would work, but I couldn’t get life insurance when I was 40 because I was a sober drunk, and I’m not sure what it means to this topic. Did I miss something? How long does it take you to write all that stuff? How do you hold it all in your head? I’ll need a brain cleanse to sleep again.

Well, a problem this big does focus the attention.

What do we need to do to escape this trap we’re in?

The President has to task USTR to file the Article XXI procedure to withdraw us from the relevant service sectors, which is sort of a divorce like procress. We are now married to the for profit system and trading of services for markets. For example, there seems to be a strong linkage on some level between drug prices and GATS and its job trading. let India keep making their life saving generic drugs and saving millions of lives and let Americans keep their jobs and have a single payer system that covers everybody. For Chrissakes, there is a pandemic going on. If I was president I would do this immediately. And not look back. I would actually withdraw us from both GATS and TRIPS and restore the Reasonable Pricing Rule. (which was ended in early 1995 right after the WTO agreements went into effect)

You should read about Article 21on the WTO web site, under Article XXI of the GATS.

You should also watch the film “Fire in the Blood” to see how horrible the TRIPS agreement has been. All the problems described in that movie are coming back. Also, America cannot afford to trade our decent jobs away, no matter how much would be saved on wages. We need to get out of this dirty deal. Americans investments in our careers matter, foreign temping companies profits are not the most important thing.

(I think I am running out of space here. )

The bottom is offensive to me, the Constitution is not a “POS” as you describe it.

Class action suit?

No standing. We dont exist in these new global economic governance forums.
Only governments and corporations do. We are just the inputs (the labor commodity) and markets which cannot be devalued.

Form another government that assumes no liabilities from the USA?

No they survive and are binding on the inhabitants of the same land afterward’

Guerrilla war?

No, violelce doesnt solve anything, especially not things like this. Look at the Treaty of Varsailles and WWII. Its similar.

The Constitution is a POS.

NO

most of rest omitted

How do we escape it, otherwise? As the kids say, WTF?"

See above. We urently need new politicians too, ones who would never have thought nor would they have allowed anything like this to happen, ever. thats the reason we’re in this mess, them and their lack of any honesty, decency or common sense. Everybody associated with this scheme should resign.