Home | About | Donate

Indian Country Remembers the Trauma of Children Taken From Their Parents

Indian Country Remembers the Trauma of Children Taken From Their Parents

Mark Trahant

Indian Country remembers. This is not the first administration to order the forced separation of families.

The Trump administration has initiated a zero-tolerance policy on the border. Zero tolerance means that people caught crossing the border are treated as criminals.

On Friday, the Department of Homeland Security said the Trump administration separated 1,995 children from the adults they were traveling with at the U.S. border between April 19 and May 31.

For young children, it is a form of genocide.

For an inciteful,well-documented study of the the treatment of indigenous peoples of the U.S. and Western Hemisphere I highly recommend “An Indigenous People’s History of the United States” by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz. It is a sobering look at the wantonly destructive genocidal policies enacted and enforced against those peoples by American governments, white colonizers and settlers.

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order.”

Sessions conveniently left out the fact that it was also law of government that did Paul in.

Paul ultimately had his head removed for confronting Nero. Nero, as Roman emperor, had the power to execute the condemned and in general was the law. There are good laws and not so good laws.

I’ll second that and add another ‘backgrounder book’

• Pagans in the Promised Land a deep dive into how the US has failed to learn real, documented history, which in turn perpetuates the stranglehold on colonizer mentality/racism/abuses for profit. (Think: just what is “pagan”, what does it mean, where does it come from, and ‘promised land’ - how the papacy used language to manipulate power to declare ‘other’ to not be human). The documented background is amazing.