Home | About | Donate

Indigenous People Demand an End to Detention on Stolen Lands

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/29/indigenous-people-demand-end-detention-stolen-lands

1 Like

Just as a matter of fact under the LAW Indigenous peoples were to be granted unimpeded migration across borders under the Jay Treaty signed between Canada (British empire at the time) and the United States and various treaties signed after the Gadsen Purchase and the treaty of Guadelope Hildago which the USA signed with Mexico.

The US Government breaks the law when it ignores those treaties.

3 Likes

" Texas had been one of the Provincias Internas of New Spain, a region known historiographically as Spanish Texas. Though claimed by Spain, it was not formally colonized by them until competing French interests at Fort St. Louis encouraged Spain to establish permanent settlements in the area.[4] Sporadic missionary incursions occurred into the area during the period from the 1690s–1710s, before the establishment of San Antonio as a permanent civilian settlement.[5] Owing to the area’s high Native American populations and its remoteness from the population centers of New Spain, Texas remained largely unsettled by Europeans, although Spain maintained a small military presence to protect Christian missionaries working among Native American tribes, and to act as a buffer against the French in Louisiana and British North America. In 1762, France ceded to Spain most of its claims to the interior of North America, including its claim to Texas, as well as the vast interior that became Spanish Louisiana.[6] During the years 1799 to 1803, the height of the Napoleonic Empire, Spain returned Louisiana back to France, which promptly sold the territory to the United States. The status of Texas during these transfers was unclear and was not resolved until 1819, when the Adams–Onís Treaty ceded Spanish Florida to the United States, and established a clear boundary between Texas and Louisiana.[7]

1 Like

THANKS for this! I will look up those treaties and post them. US America is getting its necessary comeuppance. We can’t move on until we face our history and make restitution.

2 Likes

Here we go:

Some books:

Open Veins of Latin America, Eduardo Galleano
Custer Died For Your Sins, Vine DeLoria
An Indigenous Peoples History Of The United States, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz

Too many US Americans don’t know just how much land was taken from Mexico (California, New Mexico, Texas) after their independence and that Mexico is much more assimilated with indigenous people than the US ever was with its genocidal settler colonialism.

3 Likes

I vividly recall learning in American history class(probably 8th grade or so)that the US never, ever invaded another country unless it was defending itself. And that we were divinely ordained to take over the entire continent(this was in the late 50’s, when Christianity was taught in public schools) Manifest Destiny was good!
Then, the Matrix was broken as I left that particular belief system, read some real history books, and realized we were just another Empire, corrupt as hell.
Now, like all Empires, we’re on the collapsing event horizon. And the world will see how blood-soaked and mendacious we really are. The “migrants” are not illegal. The descendants of the European invaders are.

3 Likes

The border is an artifice

The pain it bisects a bitter reality

2 Likes

Hi sekhmetsdaughter:
And a person can just look at a map and see how California is still a part of Mexico–just look at the names: San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Louis Obispo, Monterey, San Jose, San Francisco------ I was once asked why I didn’t take French in high school----duh----because I live in California!

1 Like

As a northern state white guy I didn’t start to learn African American until I joined the army. Still don’t know any of the tribal languages in my state, tribes who’s land and waterways have been under assault my whole life, and still are in places.
I can’t stand detention on ANYbody’s land.

1 Like

I just wish we Americans stopped trying to rationalize/justify/explain away our expansionism of the past, and just called it conquest a la what Rome did to carthage/gaul/the samnites/etc. Amoral, but honest.

1 Like

Hi bluevote:
And LOL, after the Romans, the Visigoth and Ostrogoths took over---- Yeah, when any military gets too big and is spread too far--------that’s when nations fail and fall! Maybe America’s military should study this----it might do them some good!

1 Like

Well, this is different, the brutal effects of Spanish colonialism used as a justification of indigenous rights.

We should have never let them get that foot in the door by beginning in 70-71 to use civilian KP’s. One thing has led to another and now the military is rife with civilian contractors.

Hi Gandolf:
sigh----yes and once corporations come in the rights of Humankind shrink a bit every day----and that’s a lot of shrinkage since the end of WW 2. : (

1 Like

In the Roman Republic’s/Empire’s defense, they actually had a pretty good run as far as empires go. The Roman Republic lasted 500 years, while the empire after it lasted another 400 about. (And that is not even counting the Byzantines) Most empires flame out after 2-4 centuries.

Sorry for digressing. Rome lives on in my heart.

Thank you for including Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz’s An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States, which I am currently reading.

I highly recommend it for anyone who might want a completely different perspective of how things came to be as they are. And I mean that on many levels, from local/regional, to national, to international.

It is not an easy read, especially for someone like myself, with a mixed European and Indigenous ancestry. But I consider it a companion work to Thomas King’s The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America,

Hi bluenote:
I think women had more rights in Rome than they had in Greece, but the rich all through history seem to always do well—o.k. 1789 was definitely a NO on that----but that is one of the more amazing rights of the People moments, bloody as it was. Poor Lavosier got nailed for being a tax collector as the mobs seemed to have forgotten about his amazing science work. : (