Home | About | Donate

Indivisible Launches Campaign to End 'Inherently Undemocratic' Filibuster in the Senate

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/28/indivisible-launches-campaign-end-inherently-undemocratic-filibuster-senate

1 Like

The New Republicans (establishment “Dems”) wont support that any more than the Reich.
But I hope that can get it done

1 Like

With a repub senate majority leader in charge, not even allowing for discussion and a vote on bills, who needs a freaking filibuster?

1 Like

He’s a sociopath. You either remove him from power or you don’t, and I have next to no faith in the Democrats as far as offering up someone that will inspire traditional non-voters to vote and to get involved, because I seriously doubt the Democrats will run someone that will appeal to people that do not traditionally vote. They will chase the same rough block of people that traditionally vote, and in doing so they will turn off most anyone that doesn’t normally traditionally vote. But, there is no reasoning with turtle boy, he is either removed or he is not removed.

2 Likes

They don’t need to End it.
Just enforce the rules that, if you call a Filibuster, it Ends when you Stop Talking.

Just saying the Word is NOT a filibuster. You actually have to stand up and Talk.

2 Likes

Considering that Republicans control the Senate, I am surprised that Democrats are calling for an end to the filibuster. Wouldn’t that further weaken the Democratic minority?

1 Like

I mean, if this is your justification, it’s the same justification for getting rid of the Senate entirely. The whole point of the Senate is to slow down any majority rule steamroll of the day. It’s the electoral college of legislation.

I’m all for it, btw. I’d prefer to live in a majority rule system and let people learn from their mistakes or not.

2 Likes

Much more than that is “undemocratic” in the Congress –

McConnell’s lawlessness in blocking Obama’s nomination of Garland –

And moving from 51 votes - simple majority – to higher vote requirements for
(for instance) increasing taxes on wealthy.

And, if we’re imagining a nation calling Congress every day to encourage the
impeachment of Trump, it isn’t happening as calls are being blocked based on
your right to ONLY speak with your own representative.

2 Likes