Home | About | Donate

Inequality Is Literally Killing Us

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/09/inequality-literally-killing-us

1 Like

But that is the plan, Sam.
The least fortunate have always been less human.

Forty years of unprecedented equality thanks to the New Deal has had the entire world fooled.

You can bring back the new deal on a world wide.
Or you keep expressing shock at deaths of the likes of me.

Elect Bernie
It is the only way.
It is the only restart.

2 Likes

Hi ZeroPointField:

YES! SupportBernie! Act as if your life depends on it----because it does!

2 Likes

When Saint Ron ascended the throne in 1981 the mantra became GET RICH OR GET OFF.

The Dubya Regime ushered in a new mantra: GET RICH OR DIE.

No one has ever explained to me why a person needs a billion dollars. Or how they could ever work hard enough to deserve a billion dollars.

3 Likes

We have, of course, no pill we can take to eliminate inequality.

Actually, they exist, but only the rich could afford them, and they’re not buying.

If you understand the monetary system and the fraud that it is there is no excuse for money not being available to fix the problem, whatever the problem. Google MMT ( modern monetary theory). And then get familiar with the fraudulent Federal Reserve by googling the creature from Jekyll island and you will be both enlightened and outraged.

True, but I would rather you came to the table with some economic context.

Would a million dollars in 1876 would have been to many?

It doesn’t have to be this way, but it does have to follow as night does day the collective beliefs of the people in power and their conciousness around money .
Their understanding of never enough to go around for Humanity’s basic needs .

An excellent article describing “deaths of despair” in West Virginia complements this article: “Facing Deaths of Despair from the Depths of Despair in West Virginia” – https://www.statnews.com/2018/07/12/despair-deaths-opioid-crisis-west-virginia/ – Suicide attempts are 12 times more likely for individuals who have faced four significant stressful events when aged 18 years or younger. As adults those unfortunates tend to self-destruct. Lack of normal resources such as income is a major stressor, as is homelessness. Much of this is preventable. The average ‘net worth’ for each adult over 20 years old is over $400,000 in the U.S. for every one of the 250 million adults — this is a very rich nation. But the lower 40% own 0% of the nation’s wealth, says the Credit Suisse banks Global Wealth Report, Databook. The charity United Way published a report, The ALICE report, finding that 40% of households could not afford seven basics of life: food, shelter, utilities, transportation, phone service, medical care and childcare. There you have it. Life is expensive, and nearly a majority cannot afford it. If you do the math, the lower-earning half of households earns pre-tax income of $26,000, roughly, and the higher-earning half earns about $180,000 roughly, seven times higher. I may be wrong, it may be worse. I took the figures from ITEP.org, “Who Pays Taxes in America? 2019”. This is probably unacceptable to 90% of the U.S. adult population, and deserves widespread recognition.

1 Like