Home | About | Donate

Insects Are 'Glue in Nature' and Must Be Rescued to Save Humanity, Says Top Scientist

Insects Are 'Glue in Nature' and Must Be Rescued to Save Humanity, Says Top Scientist

Jake Johnson, staff writer

A leading scientist warned Tuesday that the rapid decline of insects around the world poses an existential threat to humanity and action must be taken to rescue them "while we still have time."

3 Likes

I heard about people in China and pollinating that was done by hand , and that was a few years ago. I wonder if that was true? I also wonder if people will have to start hand pollinating all of our foods? Amazon will take all the warehouse jobs for their robots , but we people will be out in the fields pollinating trees, and plants-----I did read somewhere, maybe here, that robots are working at picking strawberries now. Hmmm I wonder how people could gather pollen for honey? I wonder about a lot of things today, because without insects-----what will become of us?

1 Like

Don’t worry. Monsanto self-pollinating seeds to the rescue! /s

2 Likes

Hey stardustIBID, greenhouse growers have been using vibrating wands that you hold against the stem of the plant, and the vibrations makes the pollen come lose from the flowers and helps with pollination of the other flowers, for years. Yes it works, but it’s not as effective as bees and other insects, and it’s very labor intensive. Humans can try to mimic mother nature, but we always fall short.

The real disaster is the huge loss of aquatic insects; caddisflies, stoneflies, mayflies and dragonflies have declined over 70-40% during the last 20-years as rivers and streams and wetlands are paved over or dumped with deregulated toxins. Scotland just witnessed a record 67% decline in wild salmon landings last year due, possibly, to the lack of aquatic insects prey items. Only inverts that could survive this environmental catastrophe will be man’s worst disease carrying friends, cockroaches, ticks and fleas. Oh my!

2 Likes

Hi ReconFire—vibrating wands? Wow, that’s amazing, but also what bees do, is not just gather the pollen, but by their activity, they also pollinate-----so can the wands do that too?

I posted this as a headline a long time ago:
Future headline.
MILLIONS SICK AND DYING WORLD WIDE FROM CLIMATE DEVASTATION!

Looks to be coming more true everyday.

1 Like

I’m sure it only works with self-pollinating plants. I know greenhouse tomato growers use them, as the vibrations shakes the pollen lose, it falls onto other flowers on the plant and pollinates them. Again, it’s not as effective as nature, but does work.

1 Like

The doctor tells a smoker that she has to give up the cigarettes. She says yeah, but not now. Guess what happens.

Insects must be rescued. Everybody agrees, and then nobody builds an insect extinction zoo, not now. Maybe someday? Someday is good enough?

its irresponsible and annoying when people try to help but cant bring themselves to say "Roundup"or “glyphosate”

2 Likes

Excellent choice of photos – Thanks (-:

A leading scientist found on Tuesday that the rapid decline of human intelligence over the last 45 years around the world poses an existential threat to humanity

3 Likes

Ok no jokes about vibrating wands

Are you serious? Do you have a link to this? I’d like to read it.

Sorry, Just made that one up…or did I.

1 Like

I think it could depend on which country you live in !!

I haven’t done any reading on this, even this evening; but, I believe I was taught that 100 is the average IQ. But, doing a search just now on “IQ by country”, the first hit I looked at is interesting: The U.S. is in 27th place with a 98 average; There are two countries in the 50s.

IQ Compared by Countries – 1990 to 2010 average - WorldData.info

And, here’s one study of the U.S. by state. Now we know why people in CA continually re-elect Pelosi…their fu<king stupid. (-:

We Compared the Average IQ Scores in All 50 States, and the Results Are Eye-Opening

2 Likes

Profit driven evolution has some holes in it.

Look at human history, the decline hasn’t been rapid.

Well perhaps some are dumber than others:

1 Like