Home | About | Donate

‘Insider Threat’ Program: Hundred Thousand Pentagon Personnel Under Total Surveillance

‘Insider Threat’ Program: Hundred Thousand Pentagon Personnel Under Total Surveillance

Kevin Gosztola

At least a hundred thousand military, civilian, and contractor personnel at the Defense Department have been subjected to a “continuous evaluation” or total surveillance of their electronic activities and communications. The surveillance is part of the department’s “Insider Threat” program and raises concerns about the extent to which whistleblower communications are being intercepted.

I find a good deal of merit in Mr. Gosztola's articles.

Years ago when I was a single Mom, I remember how disgusting it was to learn that Ronald Reagan encouraged children to turn in their own parents for drug use... and in those days, there was very little leniency extended for marijuana usage. And so the inverted paranoia campaigns began.

Before coming to the final paragraph, I'd already concluded that an atmosphere that views anyone as a potential threat to National Security is an atmosphere that absolutely disables trust.

That means if any employee notices any form of graft, waste, corruption, or even criminal malfeasance--particularly on the part of a corrupt superior, this individual will not be able to discuss it, or share it confidentially with an otherwise trusted co-worker.

What's being promulgated is a "just follow orders" and "don't dare ask any questions of authority" atmosphere. In other words: fascism.

"In 2013, McClatchy Newspapers reported on materials from the “Insider Threat” program, which equate “leaks” with “espionage,” encourage snitching, and instruct employees to be on the lookout for individuals suffering from “narcissism” or “antisocial personality disorder.”

And natural born authoritarians have no problem with it!

"As Kenneth Lipp reported, Patricia Larsen of ODNI referred to Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg as a criminal. She said Drake and Edward Snowden had been “self-radicalized” while the others in the “rogues gallery” were recruited by foreign governments. Each one of them had “strong egotistical streaks,” which led them to do harm to the country."

There can BE no hope for justice when Truth is rendered taboo!

Perhaps you're not aware of it but the form of casual dismissal reflected in your comment is PRECISELY what makes evil banal.

It certainly IS shocking!

And the "total surveillance" model will transfer neatly from the Military / Corporate "command and control" hierarchy, into the structure of "normal" workplace culture, via the transmission mechanism of "human resources management" professionals, and the "employer / employee" relationship.

Unless we recognize, organize, and fight as if our humanity depended on it.

General Collapse! Well, the General has the mobilized forces and the momentum, not just in the economy but more importantly in the ecology. i would bet on their victorious campaign.

But i'll go to my grave pulling for the rest of us to awaken to our power, throw off the predatory looters, and reorganize the economy on ecological and humanistic bases.

Who's watching the watchers? Are Clapper and Co. exempted from surveillance?

"be on the lookout for individuals suffering from “narcissism” or “antisocial personality disorder.”
* That pretty well nails it down for most government officials, politicians, military officers and Wall Street magnates. “Antisocial personality disorder,” Yep, that fits.
;-})

Too bad they didn't instruct them to be on the lookout for those afflicted with authoritarian personality disorder !

This is exactly what they'd like to subject the rest of the population to . And they're well on the road to doing it !

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating?... A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself."

from George Orwell's 1949 novel "1984"