Home | About | Donate

Insurrection, Pandemic, and Censorship

Agreed. Now the debate begins…Town Hall style.

2 Likes

They would never let any such thing occur.

Just like the fake debate with Bernie had at its center issues that have not been decidable since the 1990s. They were off the table. Having a fake debate where the politicians knew that but the public didn’t is an exercise in creating bad, frustrated leadership with dishonesty.

How is it elitism to say that people who understand that we are going to be experiencing even more difficult times ahead have a responsibility to be emotionally prepared so that they help people who won’t be prepared?

1 Like

It wasn’t to prepare them to help other people. It was to condescendingly and patronizingly prepare oneself for necessary if distasteful acts of noblesse oblige toward allegedly naive and politically stupid people. It is the definition of elitism.

who don’t have that same clarity, to navigate the craziness to come

I want to be the best version of myself.
( my morning mantra )
May I express myself honestly and openly with the universe.
May I find the balance of give and take.
May I find the strength and patience to better the lives of myself and those around me.
Namaste.

Lotus Meditation

2 Likes

To P-E Biden & Ex-President OhBummer: so, your crazy and cranky Uncle Ruckus was right about the atmosphere and tone of America. That it was getting crazier and crazier out there in the old community. That the breakdown of it was real and tangible. There’s no neighbors in the neighborhood. It’s just crazy now.
According to the author, Mr. Heinberg, this downward spiraling trend is going to continue for the foreseeable future. Not only in the U. S. but worldwide, as well. Communities are fracturing and no one seems to care about it. The need is too great and, especially too costly, for the PTB.
To the Bidenistas; really and truly, I take no pleasure in pointing out the rise of the current extremists coincides with your Administration’s unwillingness to face off with the 1%ers and their lawyers back then. Ya’ know, in a serious national discussion of the basic flaws of our very unbalanced and unequal economy.
The crisis we face now didn’t need to be so cathartic and catastrophic as to set the stage for massive civil disruption and human linked disasters. Do you think Trump’s ascendancy would of occurred if your Adm.‘s response wasn’t to continue to coddle the financial crooks and economic cannibals of Wall St? Trumpster people prospered, right?
" Where’s my bailout? Where’s my great healthcare? Where’s my systems reform at the workplace and in public and private educational settings, etc? Where’s my living wage? Where’s my …oh, just forget it. " We’ll back the madmen.
I see we’ re about to get another great big dose ( vaccine for the maintenance of the status quo ) of the police and security state. Instead of bringing to the table a consensus of our nation’s common sense in all sorts of pressing matters.
Twelve years later and counting: The rich are much richer than ever. Our priorities, even domestically, are still grounded in military tactics and remedies. The public health systems and delivery channels are in tatters. The poorest 30 million Americans face living in tents and their children will face a worse future, most likely. Temporary turns to nearly permanent, possibly?
What’s so crazy about understanding the reality of the same future, we just had in the recent past, if we don’t change our approach and tools to measure real progress for the general welfare and care of all? Crazy old and cranky uncles and other " nons "; as in " the non-important ", regarding pretty clear opinions ( and long-term observations ) about which direction hell, and paved roads of seemingly good intentions, still lies.

6 Likes

This is the only part of your post I disagree with.

I think we needed to get to this point - i.e., breakdown.

Lincoln was right about a lot - but never more so than when he said:

"Public sentiment is everything . With it, nothing can fail . Without it, nothing can succeed."

The surest way to sink a ship is to scuttle it yourself.

3 Likes

Amen.

4 Likes

Confederates, of course, were no angels. Neither were the folks on the other side, otherwise they would have instituted a just society after winning the war.

Peace.
ths.

2 Likes

So true.

1 Like

The author’s name is Heinberg, not Heisenberg.

Peace.
ths.

1 Like

Thanks - must have been channeling physics.

You are welcome. Are you a physicist?

ths.

1 Like

Field geologist - interested in cosmology and some particle physics - planetary geology - stellar evolution etc…

Ciao from Calgary

I love your thoughts here but don’t know what BIPOC means. Someone?

As to Richard I respect you as one of the important thinkers of our time who tries to walk the talk. But I have some divergent thoughts.
Property damage is hard to define. Pipelines are damaging everyone’s shared commons as are many other excesses of fossil fuel addiction and War addiction. The laws that allow this are a product of violence and open bribery and are hard to respect. The Congress has been destroying Indigenous land and people for hundreds of years. They voted to bomb the people of Iraq to smithereens etc. etc. I cannot see them through the BS rhetoric of the hallowed house of democracy and justice. I too oppose violence as a tactic and as a moral choice though I understand and completely sympathize with those who defend their lives and homes against foreign invaders including corporate invaders etc. But I am not interested as much in being loyal to the property rules of a society addicted to war and earth rape. How does a private company come to OWN multimillion year old oil deep underground. The concept is shit when it comes to water, oil, air and many other things.

3 Likes

BIPOC: Black, Indigenous, People Of Color.

There are those who are seeking to equate dissent with disloyalty and lawlessness. It’s a dark day in our nation when high-level authorities will seek to use every method to silence dissent, but there are also those who corrupt the public mind with lies and deceit and are just as evil as those who steal from the public purse, they need to be dealt with somehow.

2 Likes

If everybody always lies to you, the consequence is not that you believe the lies, but rather that nobody believes anything any longer. … And a people that no longer can believe anything cannot make up its mind. It is deprived not only of its capacity to act but also of its capacity to think and to judge. And with such a people you can then do what you please.”
— Hannah Arendt.

3 Likes

I don’t know who said it but it seems to fit here ~ Those that don’t know history are bound to repeat it…

2 Likes

Do you understand the systemic crises we face?
Do you understand it as well as you understand “the right?”
“The right” are so far out on the margins now that billionaire money may not buy mainstream for them again. The mainstream rejects right wing ideology now, so it’s only a sideshow, a diversion from the real show, the Sixth Mass Extinction, narrowly seen as climate change and covid-19, which are elements of the system Sixth Mass Extinction, which contains a lot more elements. The right is fighting for a return to capitalism’s Golden Age, before there was a middle class, weather they know it or not. The US mainstream is the middle class who are seeing in Trump the destruction the right brings. Some of the rapid and large-scale changes that are going to have to happen in a hurry are political, but some are more broadly social and some are deeply personal - the lifestyle changes that might let some of us survive. We’re having four thousand deaths per day from covid-19 and it has our social systems maxxed out, with bodies in refrigerated trailers all over the place.
Biden/Harris can help just enough to let a lot of people switch off their brains again to chase human inventions they call reality, but has nothing in common with physical reality. Biden is a neoliberal, as was Obama, and, in the ecological system, that’s a loser, still feeding CO2 polluters and billionaires, just not as nakedly. The forever wars will continue, and more and more people will learn they’re killing people for money they’ll never see and bring broken hearts back here and find out the VA won’t get anywhere near moral injury and those who don’t join the right out of anger shoot themselves in VA parking lots. That’s not The Show, which is the ecological collapse we can no longer stop or mitigate, and our chances of adapting to the human invention of Hell on Earth. Some people are still having children when the human population is overshot by 7 billion. Western civilization has been at war with Gaia for at least 10 thousand years and Gaia is now fighting back, and we who can’t see systems help her get rid of 7 billion humans and bring the life system back into homeostasis, if she can. We may be going to the bacterial layer, or another Mars, a dead rock, because it was not in the Unelected Rulers best interests for us to learn where western civilization’s idea of wealth comes from or solve the paradox of an ideology supporting an illusion of infinite growth on a finite planet. We live the physical reality of that ideology. It’s not pretty for much longer. With all the guns in the US now in the hands of people who may or may not know what they do and how to make them do it. The right wing is only a sideshow, a diversion. The billionaires lavishly fund two efforts to create spaceships to take them off this planet while the shit hits the fan. Within 20 years, plants will offgas CO2 after 25C, all that extra CO2 will go into the atmosphere and we’ve got a tipping point into a positive feedback subsystem that goes to runaway climate change. Climate science says humans can’t survive 95F. Some of us will, I suppose, prepare correctly, but, with the system of photosynthesis producing limited or no oxygen, how long do we breathe? How do we do this so we allow ourselves to die gracefully when that gets to be our only option? How do we grieve enough to get there? How do we grieve being such chumps to allow this to happen? Carter knew, and tried to turn the ship, but Reagan insulted him and half the wildlife that was here in 1980 is gone. I think it’s 65% or so now. How do we deal with knowing we were deceived and betrayed by the unelected rulers James Madison put into power over us with the Constitution, people who thought the purpose of human life was to make money, and that’s who’s ruling us but we only just now learned that? You can go all over the place with this, but how do we die in peace in the bed we made by refusing to be democrats and let Others be democrats? How much longer do we have to hold Black people down for Massa? How many of us came here to do that? How did we get to this? Do we stay in the mud with a Black person or do we let go of them, clean up, get real with ourselves, and learn to be of service to something that comes from within us instead of what comes at us from outside? Shall we serve life or death in the time that we have left? As Sartre said, “You’re free. Choose.”

1 Like