Home | About | Donate

Integrity Forged in Cages

Integrity Forged in Cages

Chris Hedges

The following are remarks delivered by the author to 27 graduating students who were formerly incarcerated—several of whom he taught in prison—and their families at Rutgers University on Friday. The ceremony was held by the Mountainview Program at Rutgers, which helps students complete their degrees at Rutgers after they take college courses inside prisons through the New Jersey Scholarship and Transformative Education in Prisons Consortium (NJ-STEP) program.

4 Likes

Truly inspirational piece. We should all be Chris Hedges.

4 Likes
    Marx wasn’t addressing Christians, but church leaders who may be antichristian

as much; No, Chris you taught the Christian message and brought out truth making your
students the real authentic Christians; while we CD readers of your piece received an edifying
discourse.
Let “integrity” be another word for “character” and you, like the apostle Paul,
transform suffering into hope: “More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that
suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces
hope . . . God’s love poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit” (Romans 5:3-5).
Now, when they go out into the world, where they will be hated like the rest of
the authentic Christians (John:15:18); the corporate state, producing poverty as “collateral
murder” (Julian Assange), may be shaken.

2 Likes

“…so help your brother along the road , no matter where he starts,
for the god that made you made him too, these men with broken hearts.”
Hank Williams

3 Likes

Thanks for reply ht. The message is said in
many words, but it’s still one Word that’s spread.

And in the time it took me to read through this brilliant essay, I have determined my number one inspiration. I’ve always admired Hedges’ work, but this just cemented it for me.

2 Likes