Home | About | Donate

Involuntary Manslaughter Charges for Five, Including Top State Health Official, for Role in Flint Water Crisis

Involuntary Manslaughter Charges for Five, Including Top State Health Official, for Role in Flint Water Crisis

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Michigan's attorney general announced Wednesday that the head of the state's health department and four others have been charged with involuntary manslaughter for their role in the years-long Flint water crisis.

Nick Lyon, director of Michigan Health and Human Services, "failed in his responsibilities to protect the health and safety of the citizens of Flint," state AG Bill Schuette said at a press conference Wednesday.

And, if convicted, they will probably only serve a year in prison...if that, while the victims of their egregious negligence will suffer throughout their lives and those of their progeny (lead poisoning never goes away and is passed on genetically to subsequent generations...see NOVA on the Flint Crisis: "Poisoned Water" http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/poisoned-water.html). They should also be made to pay restitution to the citizens of Flint. At least their criminal negligence is being publicly recognized and they will be tried for their crimes against humanity.

The Michigan AG is obviously doing his job. Nothing much will come of the effort, and Rick "Kochie" Snyder will not "go directly to jail" for his own malfeasance, still it is nice to see some Michigan government official doing something years after the facts emerged.

Given what I have experienced with my children I have no choice but to support, grieve, FIGHT for my brothers and sisters in Flint b/c I have lived firsthand what they are experiencing right now! ..... I seriously HATE this worthless country :disappointed:

There is so much to this story but the media refuse to go there---yes the Gov should go to jail for life-but then Hillary used Flint as a prop-----and what did Obama do as this crisis unfolded?These people have just begun to get the pipes fixed---maybe? And how many other communities are drinking lead?Would this be happening in some well off community-NO! We need leaders who will support the COMMONS!

Good to see something like this happening as Flint tries to protect itself from
criminal capitalism.

In fact, the entire system of capitalism should be on trial and charged with
the damage its done to Nature and Humans and Animal-Life.