Home | About | Donate

Iran Warns US Not to Interfere with Venezuelan Oil Flotilla

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/23/iran-warns-us-not-interfere-venezuelan-oil-flotilla

11 Likes

“We hope the Americans will not make a mistake.”

You mean Rouhani… like in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan?

23 Likes

Mother Earth to Trump: Don’t you have enough to deal with with the number of SARS-Cov-2 rapidly reaching 100,000 for which you have played a major role in creating and Depression level unemployment with no safety net to speak about as you give more and more tax breaks to those who don’t need them than to pick on Iran??

30 Likes

In all of my years I have not once been kept up at night with worry over Venezuela nor Iran–Department of Defense my hairy arse.

21 Likes

There is no comprehensible reason that the U.S. should interfere with these shipments - at all. This is trade between two separate countries and the only outcome would be more persecution and death to all involved. Stand down.

20 Likes

And since even Russia has asked the US not to interfere, any attack might propel us into world war in the midst of the ongoing pandemic.

10 Likes

You beat me to it. Given the amount of death and destruction the US has caused around the world, I wouldn’t doubt this one bit.

10 Likes

That’s one way to get the Covid numbers off the front page. Let us hope that the lunatic is too busy juggling his other incendiary balls to be able to turn his limited attention to this.

8 Likes

I thought Venezuela had plenty of oil. Or are they buying a different grade of oil.
In any case, none of our business.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me if donnyboy escalates this into another near war - like he is good at doing - to distract from his mishandling of the coronavirus outbreak in the US and to try to drive his approvals ratings up, which are plummeting.

9 Likes

A brief history of USA COVID-19 cases (latest numbers from CDC):

> WEEK    14 DAYS             CASES
>         ENDING          NEW       TOTAL
> 
>   2.  01/31/2020           6           6
>   4.  02/14/2020           6          12
>   6.  02/28/2020           3          15
>   8.  03/13/2020       1,880       1,895
>  10.  03/27/2020     101,425     103,320
>  12.  04/10/2020     389,095     492,415
>  14.  04/24/2020     404,711     897,126
>  16.  05/08/2020     378,270   1,275,396
>  18.  05/22/2020     321,849   1,597,245
6 Likes

Gavrilo Princip?

The era of asymmetric and multipolar warfare began with this man. He assassinated the son of the Archduke of the Austro-Hungarian Emplre. That’s why millions of British, French, German and Russian soldiers died. What?

In World War II Hitler dragged out the idea of murdering tens of millions of civilians, because this is war after all and one can never be too careful. In the end the idea didn’t work for him, but he established a legacy. Soon enough, the USA killed not a few civilians in WWII.

On September 11, 2001, 18 hijackers, mainly from Saudi Arabia as it turned out, killed 3000 people in America. Many of the dead were migrants working McJobs in the Twin Towers, it turned out.

War is supposed to have rules. It doesn’t, really.

So, if the U.S. causes a naval war with Iran, will third parties in this multipolar world attack U.S. civilian targets? How hard is it to blow up a reactor? How hard is it to unleash some corporation’s toxic pond downstream?

14 Likes

Lots more you could add to that list:

~https://military.wikia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

4 Likes

That made me ponder too. Coals to Newcastle?

Warning, off topic. Since it hasn’t been mentioned, what do we think of Cohen’s release? Most of trump’s partners in crime that have been fairly convicted are already back on the streets, if they served any time at all.

We had better let ALL of the crooks that got 3-4 year sentences out of jail as well or the whole penal system is a joke.

4 Likes

Those of us who vote for Republicans and Democrats are directly responsible for the outrageous behavior of America outside our borders. The World has never tolerated such overreach indefinitely, and when the response we’re spoiling for is generated, all the oblivious American idiots will be saying “why?” The answer will be, “because you voted for it for three decades.”

15 Likes

This explains it better. It’s fuel, not oil:

~https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/23/iran-venezuela-fuel-us-interfere-warning-hassan-rouhani

And Rouhani it is alleged said this during a conversation with the emir of Qatar.

3 Likes

The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is bathed in blood

14 Likes

The fact that it is gasoline is mentioned a couple of times in this CD article, but I agree that the headline is misleading.

1 Like

The US congress gave the president the authority to apply economic sanctions to his countries of choice. Of course, any unilateral sanctions by the United States, i.e. sanctions that have not been approved by the United Nations Security Council are illegal. These murderous sanctions are acts of war and the United States is a war criminal for prosecuting these illegal acts. I would call my congressperson and ask why the United States is committing war crimes against other countries, especially during a worldwide pandemic.

15 Likes