Home | About | Donate

Iraq Mourns After Weekend Bombing Deathtoll Rises Above 200 People

Iraq Mourns After Weekend Bombing Deathtoll Rises Above 200 People

Jon Queally, staff writer

The deathtoll from a massive truck bomb detonated in a Baghdad shopping district over the weekend has climbed to over 200 people, with hundreds more injured and scores still missing, making it one of the deadliest such attacks in the recent history of war-torn Iraq.

According to Reuters:

So where is the Je Suis Baghdad movement in Europe (my thanks to Moon of Alabama for pointing this out)? Why aren't world leaders locking arms and marching in some western capitol with candles lit and crying about the horror of this event? Brown people is my guess.
Oh and it doesn't make a good photo opportunity.

Peace
Po

George W Bush (2001- 09)
Dick Cheney (2001–09)
Colin Powell (2001–05)
Condoleezza Rice (2005–09)
Donald Rumsfeld ( 2001-2006)

“In the judgment of the International Military Tribunal at Nuremberg, which followed World War II, "War is essentially an evil thing. Its consequences are not confined to the belligerent states alone, but affect the whole world. To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole."

Confessions of a former covert CIA agent - Amaryllis Fox - YouTube

Exploiting the Shia-Sunni split was part of the plan from the outset, setting the two against each other as part of the age old tactic of divide-and-conquer recast in its modern form as disaster capitalism, a smash-and-grab scheme elevated to a national or even regional scale.

How many of the initial sectarian bombings and reprisals have been false flags? We'll never know. The bombing of the Gold Dome Mosque was particularly suspicious.

The 2006 al-Askari mosque bombing occurred at the al-Askari mosque in the Iraqi city of Samarra, on February 22, 2006, at about 6:44 a.m. local time (0344 UTC). The attack on the mosque, one of the holiest sites in Shia Islam, is not claimed by any group; U.S. President George W. Bush suggested that "the evidence indicates" that it was "an Al Qaida plot". The mosque was severely damaged, but no injuries occurred in the blasts.

The bombing was followed by retaliatory violence with over a hundred dead bodies being found the next day[1] and well over 1,000 people killed in the days following the bombing – by some counts, over 1,000 on the first day alone.[2]

The US war of aggression against Iraq and now spreading to the rest of the ME has given birth to car bombings, use of IED's, explosive vests, internal sectarian and religious conflicts and a whole host of new ways of killing, rapping, starving and beheading people. The US under puppet Obomber is goading Europe under the banner of NATO to aggressively encircle Russia on the one side and China on the other side of the planet. I urge readers to check out an important article on RT by John V. Walsh who articulates these conflicts very clearly:
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/349414-us-russia-china-war/

Then Sec Def Cheney April 29, 1991, in a recap of the so-called First Gulf War:

I think that the proposition of going to Baghdad is also fallacious. I think if we were going to remove Saddam Hussein we would have had to go all the way to Baghdad, we would have to commit a lot of force because I do not believe he would wait in the Presidential Palace for us to arrive. I think we'd have had to hunt him down. And once we'd done that and we'd gotten rid of Saddam Hussein and his government, then we'd have had to put another government in its place.

What kind of government? Should it be a Sunni government or Shi'i government or a Kurdish government or Ba'athist regime? Or maybe we want to bring in some of the Islamic fundamentalists? How long would we have had to stay in Baghdad to keep that government in place? What would happen to the government once U.S. forces withdrew? How many casualties should the United States accept in that effort to try to create clarity and stability in a situation that is inherently unstable?

I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it's my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq.

However, after Cheney was hired CEO of Halliburton in 1995 "bogged down in the quagmire in Iraq" sounded more like a business opportunity than a strategic blunder, and the rest is history. Well, not exactly history since it continues to reap great profits for the American military-industrial capitalist predation machine and will continue to do so for years to come.

Mission Accomplished!

Note: Not surprisingly the original post of Cheney's speech has been expunged from the Washington Institute For Near East Policy's website, but the WayBackMachine has a copy:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041130090045/http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/pubs/soref/cheney.htm

Great insight UnclePo, right on the money. Bury my heart in Baghdad.

Terrorism is alive and well thanks to the United States. The blood lust of Bush-Cheney seemed horrific, but Obama took it to a river of blood and now America's corrupt neocons' death grip is poised to eclipse all this carnage by anointing Hillery Clinton.

4th of July celebrations run hollow for hailing this particular event as the United States continues its wars against democracy at home and rank terrorism abroad. America's hypocrisy of "defense" of the "Homeland" is disgusting enough, but to plagiarize such a Nazi moniker is a war hawk's sick mind.

They are inching ever closer to vaporizing our nation and the world with her by assuming that the next war will be contained in Europe and East Asia.

WTF kind of damage has Our Corrupt, Criminal Government caused to all these poor souls, and W(hen)TF is it going to stop?

Given that the "Revolutionary" War against England was in great part fought to protect the institution of black chattel slavery why should we be surprised that this same racism continues unabated today in the US against people of color in all its wars of empire? Not a day to celebrate but a day to reflect and resolve to bring to the national consciousness this crime that it may finally be eradicated. I'll celebrate when the US liberates itself from its racism, militarism and greed.

To those who mourn in Iraq I stand with you and I stand with you against my own government.

Some links:
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/7/4/what_to_the_slave_is_4th

On genocide and the 4th of July: http://www.telesurtv.net/english/opinion/July-4th-No-Time-for-Celebration-for-Indigenous-Peoples-in-US-20160703-0008.html

The killing never ends ... it never ends!

We must remember that the Iran-Iraq war that resulted in over a million dead was also fueled by the US "leading from behind" pitting nation against nation and people against people whilst arming both sides.

The US war industry does not care about skin color, I don't know why some seem to be stuck on that point. WWII, Yugoslavia, Ukraine are vivid examples and as Harry Truman has stated, paraphrasing: "we'll support the Germans when Russia is winning and support Russia when Germans are winning"

Congratulations!

You have successfully quoted the propaganda the American War Machine's junior partners, the Mass Media, have spoonfed the American sheeple to assure us all the bad things happening in Iraq, indeed in the entire Middle East, since all the American invasions, are just a continuation of killing as usual in that part of the world.

No blood on Americans' hands!

I am so relieved to be reminded!
Thank you sir for doing your patriotic duty!

Every single atrocity in the world today, and throughout the past 100 years or so, has been or is the fault of the United States. And since about 2000, everything bad in the world is entirely the fault of the evil Hillary. Even the European Union is just an invention of the CIA.

And oh yes... 911 was an inside job engineered by the duopoly

And watch out for those airliners spewing poisonous geoengineering stuff...

And I am a paid "shill" for the "duopoly" and other spooky cabals. They pay is really good.

Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel

The above is a link to, what seems to be, a solution to the global petroleum problem.

It is not only an environmental and economic problem, but the cause of the modern middle-eastern wars, and these people in this articles problem.

Oil trade is corrupt and worth trillions. The current US administration benefits from War. The middle eastern citizens, world citizens, and our planet, need sustainable fuel!

What happens when we put military money towards technology that is green?
We;
Create jobs.
Live in peace.
Breath clean air and drink clean water.
Eat food that's healthy.
Thrive.
Enjoy life.

That is what I'd like to see Science put money and effort into. We can help the oppressed people by healing the planet- watch

Do not choose the lesser of two evils. Do not choose tools of the establishment.

Choose who will support peace on the planet. If we are all together on it. It will happen.

Prayers for the people who suffer everywhere. Peace and mercy to them.

Rubbish. An invention by the Western media.

There was more Conflict between Cathloic and Protestant in Europe then Sunni And Shiite in the Middle East.

For centuries, Sunnis and Shias (as well as Christians, Jews and other religious groups) have lived closely intertwined with one another to a degree without parallel elsewhere in the world. Even where they have exerted power through distinct political structures, the argument that this has equated to conflict does not stand up to even a cursory analysis. While the Sunni Ottoman Empire and Shia Safavid Empire experienced their share of conflict, they also lived peaceably alongside one another for hundreds of years, even considering it shameful to engage in conflict with one another as Muslim powers.

Like the person in this article points out, it rather strange is inot to ascribe any conflict in the Middle East as havings its origins in the Shiite and Sunni divide , yet the same rules never apply to Europe. Was Germanys multiple wars on Russia about protestants versus Eastern Orthodox and how much they hated each other?

Sunnis and Shias have lived in total harmony for centuries in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, Turkey and elsewhere. The US military started this process in Iraq by massacring the Shias and blaming it on the Sunnis then doing the same thing to the Sunnis and blaming the Shias. It is a bloody satanic perverse and vile contrivance way to keep the ME shattered and weak. This sort of response is typical of a racist, Zionist Arab hatter. We must not forget that the Zionists in the US government and congress like Lieberman, Feinstein, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and others closely associated with the AIPAC and the government of Israel could not wait to commence the war of aggression against Iraq over blatant falsehoods and outright lies.

During and before WWII American oil cartels weren't so powerful as they have been in the last 35 years especially since Reagan's energy deregulation and Bush's enormous tax handouts to the rich. Germans were hated during and immediately after the war as were the Japanese, remember Hitler always put down the non Aryans he considered east Europeans and Jews sub-humans.