Home | About | Donate

Iraq Today Is a Nightmare That Americans Largely Sleep Through

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/01/iraq-today-nightmare-americans-largely-sleep-through

3 Likes

There are now more than 20 international oil companies from around the world operating in Iraq since it was liberated. Thats all that matters.

7 Likes

In another thread on the Blackwater mercs recently pardoned a person claiming to be ex special forces condemned me as being prejuduced and bigoted for condemning what the USA did in Iraq suggesting that many Americans joined the Military to escape poverty and get a College education.

You can see how these peoples minds work. Their right to a college education or to escape poverty is greater then all of those people in Iraq to live long enough to see their 30th birthday.

If there a problem with poverty in the USA and the ability to get a college education then fight the enemy at home, the 1 percent who are taking it all and don’t force poor people a half a world away to pay for injustices in the USA.

People have to stop “volunteering” to join the Criminal US Military or refuse to follow orders when ordered to commit war crimes. As long as they can get their minions to do these dirty deeds this destruction of lives the world over will go on.

5 Likes

The corporate media know their bounds in reporting the truth about matters in Iraq. “Attacks” against the Green Zone are to get full billing, but footage such as released by Manning, not so much. “USA, USA, USA” and all of that, you know. The cavalry is always on the right side, even against unarmed civilian noncombatants. It’s the American way. Collateral damage–people standing in the wrong place at the wrong time with some trigger-happy “warrior” half-way around the world on too much coffee and too much who knows what. “Video killed the battlefield star!”

4 Likes

When we hear the fascist, canard: " that we are bringing them freedom and democracy " that is true if you mean international oil companies!

4 Likes

The displaced have taken up residence in the US.

1 Like

“I’m a walking nightmare,
an arsenal of doom.
I kill conversation
as I walk into a room.
I’m a three line whip,
I’m the sort of thing they ban.
I’m a walking disaster,
I’m the demolition man.”

• Gordon Sumner, aka “Sting”
3 Likes

I searched a bit but there are multiple stories. Which thread was this?

In general, I don’t take the line that people shouldn’t join the US military. Like the other poster I understand why a poor person would. If people who do join can hold on to a modest set of ethics in a horrendous situation, some of them (like the helicopter pilot who rescued some civilians at My Lai) may offer a backstop against atrocities.

It is our responsibility as citizens to reign in politicians who have no ethics and will go to war over absurd logic (anything but we are being invaded is an absurd reason to go to war). Individual action by select people not joining won’t accomplish anything I’m afraid.

While that helicopter pilot to be praised for his actions, the fact is 500 people were killed before he was able to stop it and the fact is the US Military committed hundreds of other such atrocities in Vietnam. The people of Vietnam were never a threat to the USA and had done them no harm.

“May stop an atrocity” is not good enough when through that war some 4 million other people were killed by that same Military.

As i suggested, your “desire” to escape poverty should not translate to peoples the world over being slaughtered such as happened in Iraq so that you can escape poverty. A persons “desire to be wealthy” should never be more important then another persons right to life.That is no different then suggesting it ok to join a street gang that murders robs and rapes “to escape poverty”. It in fact no different then suggesting it ok for Drug companies to jack up prices on drugs so it a pay or die scenario.

Now I have no problems with peoples in other Countries like Switzerland joining the military but that because Switzerland, unlike the USA does not unleash that same Military against peoples the world over.

To summarize, i disagree with you on this matter vehemently. I side with Buffy sainte Marie and John Lennon on this matter.

2 Likes

You don’t have to convince me on that front. But I have a stronger disdain for voters who chose politicians like Nixon over those like McGovern than I do for people in the military who aren’t
making the unethical decision to go to war.

I appreciate that you can vehemently disagree and be civil about it. You didn’t point me to the other thread yet.

I will add in case I was ambiguous, I would never ever recommend joining the US military. You are not only likely to be ordered to do something against your ethics, but in general they take away your very right as a human being to get out if you don’t like what is going on. I find the concept analogous to slavery honestly and if I had any say I would allow all service members to opt out of any war. But if in spite of that, someone decides to join, I’d prefer that they try to make positive change like Danny Sjursen or Oliver Stone.

3 Likes

Americans sleep through practically everything, even including separating children, then caging them and then being unable to locate their parents.
Having a “doctor” perform hysterectomies without the knowledge of consent of the ICE detainees - a practice engaged in by the Nazis via Josef Mengele.

2 Likes

The thirst for the Republican mentality goes way back. In the election cited, even though the news about Watergate was already public knowledge, Nixon still beat McGovern, by the safe margin of 49-1.

1 Like

~https://commons.commondreams.org/t/shot-in-the-head-what-kind-of-boundless-evil-is-this-america/85382/39

1 Like

Being so viscerally opposed to the EC, I can’t quote results like that (by the way, he won DC also).

In terms of popular vote, McGovern lost (38 to 61) about the same as Barry Goldwater (39 to 61 against LBJ - another war monger). That Bernie lost to war mongers in the last two Democratic primaries is incredibly disappointing as well.

2 Likes

That’s a powerful statement, @SuspiraDeProfundis, and I have to agree with you on your points.

“Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today – my own government.” Dr. King, 4/4/1967
Dr. King added, “And as I ponder the madness of Vietnam, my mind goes constantly to the people of that peninsula … who have been living under the curse of war for almost three continuous decades.” Iraq and Afghanistan can be added in that sentence, up to the present.

3 Likes

“…the post-9/11 wars led by the United States created at least 37 million refugees in the Middle East, North Africa, and Afghanistan over the last two decades…”

Likely seen by the U.S. Masters of War as collateral damage. The far-right Project for the New American Century said that “absent a new Pearl Harbor,” that organization would likely not succeed at their goals, which they have mainly achieved.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment, SuspiraDeProfundis.

This summer, I had heated arguments with folk in leadership of engineering professional associations and the National Science Foundation, regarding the disproportionate presence of military R & D in the field. I had a number of white, guys attempt to school me in their thining that, since the Civil War, the US military has been, “one of the greatest forces for social justice in the Black and Latinx communities”. I view the fact that the military is the only option for many Black and Latinx folk to get out of poverty, as a reflection of the outrageously high degree of racism in the US.

1 Like

Iraq Today Is a Nightmare That Americans Largely Sleep Through

Even in the US “progressive” media, the US torture and perpetual detention without trial center in Guantanamo is rarely brought up. Biden is all but certain to keep the center open throughout his presidency. Kamala Harris has not taking a lead in calling for Guantanamo to be closed

1 Like

Precisely, which is why if there a war to wage it domestically against the system that entrenches that racism and forces that poverty and it should not be by joining the very group that keeps that class system in place by waging war on poor people overseas.

This is how EMPIRE works. When the British Conquered India and held it as part as their Empire for a century plus then drawing trillions of dollars of wealth from the Country to transfer to their own, they did this by encouraging the peoples of India to work against one another.

Poor people the world over have to stop seeing each other as the enemy and have to stop using the corpses of those other poor people to escape their own poverty.

The proper mindset of the poor in the US ,those latinos and blacks is “we have met the enemy and it is the US”. The Military using those communities to harvest their recruits and turn them into killers of the poor should not be seen as a badge of honor but as a national disgrace.

Martin Luther King recognized these things and they shot him for it.

2 Likes

Thanks for your great points. Several years ago, I lived in a section of Trumpland that included poor whites, Puerto Ricans, and migrants (many on work visas or undocumented) from largely indigenous populations in Mexico and Guatemala. There was a lot of racial discrimination. A lot stemmed from economic oppression - factories were closing and people were being left jobless. But, in talking with white Trumpsters, individually, I found that many were driven to Trump because of a sense that the Democrat’s had abandoned the working class. Many were open to worker owned cooperatives. So I think our hope lies in united the poor and working classes of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, genders, etc. We can’t ignore the numerous challenges of racism, sexism, homo/transphobia, etc., but we need to take this on in ways that make progress without overwhelming the efforts. There is a coalition that started, in that area of Trumpland, that is based on principles of community, acceptance, and an embrace of the notion of continuous improvement.

Yes. Very much so. Over this last year, I’ve taken part in international Solidarity Economy events with folk from grassroots movements in Brazil, Kerala India, and Venezuela. There is a lot of promise, but at this point, if all we do is share lessons learned, it will be a great step forward.

1 Like