Home | About | Donate

Is Back-to-School More Expensive This Year? Yes, and Here’s Why

Is Back-to-School More Expensive This Year? Yes, and Here’s Why

Jeff Bryant

Parents getting their children ready to go back to school this fall may be dismayed at the long and pricey school supply lists they’re getting from their local schools. They can rest assured their children’s teachers feel the pain, too.

Teaching involves the introduction of material and concepts new to the students. They are not “consumers” choosing “Coke” vs. “Pepsi”, as they have tasted neither. The teaching process is best done inefficiently to let the students learn how to learn based upon who they are and where they’ve been. All business concepts fail in the educational setting. ALL. FUCK OFF BIG BU$INE$$ AND YOUR MINIONS. Make chalkboards slate again!

When my first child went off to kindergarten, I was introduced to this kind of exploitation of the taxpayer. It was a real eye-opener to be asked to contribute $10 for the share of my child’s supplies. For some families with multiple children, this is one helluva burden; the teacher also asked those with more to help out those with less. And it went on, and on, and on, as the cost escalated. Perhaps the elimination of public funding of private charter schools will start to address some of the inequity, but the problem is that US imperialism drives us to buy bombs not books, or fund new school construction, pay teachers a decent salary, equip students with the technology they need to master, and to master their lessons…

For all their lip service, neither the GOP nor the Dems give one damn about family values or our children. If they did, budgets would reflect it.

One final note, the shining light in all this was the AP course offering. For $400 total, both my children graduated high school with their Associate’s Degree: a huge savings for those who pursue higher education. Because tuition increases by an average of 10% a year, there’s good reason to get through university/college as quickly as one can if one hopes to eventually get rid of college debt (which of course should be publicly funded too).

“Slashing education budgets at the federal, state, or local level doesn’t save money; it just shifts costs somewhere else.”

The recognition of this fact may be the crucial difference between a liberal and a (fiscal) conservative, and it is true not just of education, but of every area of spending (with the one obvious exception where the budget is always growing!)

Bottom line educated voters in most cases do not vote republican unless they are part of the 10%. Christians only care about a couple things i.e. abortion and combining church and state. They might care about families and children but abortion and church and state is the only thing they vote for which a repub is more likely to give them.

Pretty much the same here except for the construction bit. Sometimes the construction is needed and I’ve seen enough schools which need facilities repaired and taken care of but I’ve also watched huge money going into construction at the same time that money for programs and salaries and positions is killed. Clearly someone is getting the payoff in those construction contracts.
Small math formula (Tx=total x units, pspX=programs, salaries, positions, dx=donor X, sx=state X, cx=construction C )
201Tx = 1pspX + 100dx + 100sx
200cx = 100dx + 100 sx - 1pspX Or, Give me 100 private dollars, 100 state dollars, take away 1 programEtc Dollar from the department budget and you wind up with less money for education and 200 times as much for construction as was removed for “budgetary” reasons.
This was the case last year when our conservatory was told to drop $480,000 in their program budget while at the same time promoting a “downtown campus” new construction with combined $48-million in donor money and $48-million in state money (the same source from which the $480,000 was being removed).
Between rich people pretending to be patrons of the arts while putting their names on a separate campus (what I call rich bling) while getting tax write offs and sending money to the construction companies for a duplicate campus split away from the current campus.
This year the governor vetoed the state money (only good thing Gov. Mini-Gun did so far and probably for the wrong reasons) so the private side is floating a way to come up with the other $48-million themselves. They aren’t saying that is is (or at least was originally) the first third of the project.

Voting one party or the other uniformly, regardless of income or education, is the sign of someone who is incapable of compex thought. .

No matter how high these cost rise the rigged consumer price index (CPI) will understate them, just as for more than three decades it has understated most of the non discretionary costs working folks face. Heaven forbid the gubmit base the CPI on real costs…that might force the corporations who own the gubmit to give their workers more pay…even teachers might get more pay…can’t have that AND make America grunt again.

Are there many current or former real estate developers and commercial contractors in your state legislature? I have found, but by no means have proved that misallocation of public schools building funds is practiced in states with big ties to the FIRE sector. These states are also pretty friendly to charter schools and have legalized the misappropriation. It was indeed an oversight on my part not to mention the needed upgrades to many existing schools.

This is one of the major reasons why my wife and I decided to Home School our son despite the fact that it is prohibitively expensive to do so.

1. We still pay school taxes even though our son doesn’t participate in any school programs. He has the option to participate if he and if he does, we would have to pay whatever additional fees the other students have to pay.
  2. Because one parent needs to be home with our son at all times, that greatly cuts the earning potential of our family. Fortunately, my wife works a private acupuncture practice in the afternoons and evenings, but it doesn’t earn nearly as much as a full time job would.
  3. All books, school supplies, and technology is on us, not to mention the enormous amount of time necessary to plan, teach and evaluate our son’s work. I don’t even want to think about the sheer amount of opportunity cost this is generating! Pre-built curriculum is available, but some of the best stuff out there is VERY expensive. Yes, you can make do with what’s available at your local library, “Teachers paying Teachers”, and YouTube, but for every dollar you save by using “free” or inexpensive sources translates into more time on your part to customize that source into a workable curriculum plan that works for your student.

The bottom line remains that this is something we wouldn’t trade for the world. Being a former public school educator myself, I know exactly what my son would be getting by going to a public or even an “affordable” private school. Until the public schools are properly funded and education is actually valued again in this country, we feel our child is getting a better education from two overworked parents who can barely afford groceries some weeks than what he’d be getting at our public school.

All courtesy of ALEC writing laws for our elected officials to pass. The only thing that trickles down is corruption.