Home | About | Donate

Is Obama Closing Guantanamo or Just Moving it to Another Zip Code?

Is Obama Closing Guantanamo or Just Moving it to Another Zip Code?

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

President Barack Obama on Tuesday outlined his long-awaited plan to close the Guantánamo Bay military detention center in Cuba, which he described as a "stain on our record of upholding the highest standards of rule of law."

During a press briefing, the president outlined the steps that the Pentagon will take to shutter the infamous offshore facility where dozens of alleged terror suspects have been subject to torture, and languished for over a decade without charge or trial. Currently, 91 detainees are still held at the facility.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

time for Amerika to return another piece of stolen property to its rightful owner, Cuba! enuf said.

The con man never stops lying.

" A stain on our record of upholding the highest standards of rule of law."

So by moving these alleged terror suspects that have been subject to torture and locked up for over a decade without charge or trial, to a new location removes the stain on your record, Mr. Obama?

8 years this war criminal has kept this monstrosity open. Technically, he should be able to renegotiate the lease, return Gitmo to Cuba, who would then shut it all down. Probably doesn't need Congressional approval for that since it's not a treaty.
What a lame jerk.

Emphasize rehabilitation rather than length of sentence.

'harms partnerships with foreign allies, and "undermines our standing in the world."

I don't think that there is any chance of that --- It is not possible to undermine the US's standing, anywhere.

I don't think I understand what you are saying. It's either that America is so great that nothing (not even Donald Trump) could undermine it's exalted status, or, you are saying that it is already so reviled in the world, that nothing could make things worse. Either way, I'm not sure I agree.

Cannot a Head of State offer a complete and unequivocal pardon to those incarcerated in a prison?.

Cannot the Commander in Chief of the USA's armed forces order his subordinate military officers to close a military facilty, such as the Guantanamo Bay torture camp?

So why does this stuffed-shirt of a POTUS have to depend on a Republican-dominated Congress to close the wretched place and release those held against all laws in any decent country as well as against International Law.?

And didn't the Democrats once hold a majority in both Houses, after Obama's first election as POTUS?

We are closing a chapter in our history and reflecting on the lessons learned about 9/11...to guide our nation going forward," Obama stated.

Am I missing something---What was "learned" by sticking his nose in the air and only looking forward. The lessons learned --as far as I know--are 1.we know nothing about who was behind the 911 and building 7 falling and what they did, and all matters coming from that.
2. bush/cheney and crowd's role in 911
3.How did the air defense get turned off
4. Is this chapter closing a way of letting the culprits get away with murder--? Well done Obama. Put that into your Legacy.
Too many more to list, Answer these and more will be added.

Hey - but apparently Sanders supports this plan ... so it must be a good one, right?

Obama must be very frustrated in that his bosses of the CFR, CIA, NSA, and Wall Street won't give him the go ahead to just drone these innocent "detainees" at Guantanamo-
When and if the real perpetrators of 9-11 are finally revealed (and the folks on this site have A pretty good idea who the "Evil Doers" really are) there will be HELL to pay- The idea of Unintended Consequences will take on A whole new meaning- This Country will become totally Revolutionary overnight....

Shorter sentences for people never charged with a crime, while being tortured to boot?

So these are political prisoners rather than those actually accused of any crime. First, our government needs to make up its alleged mind. what if any crime to accuse each prisoner of. Any prisoner who is not guilty of any crime, should be given reparations, NOT a lump sum cash payment but rather a civil service job that they are able to do and enough Social Security credits for time served in Guantanamo to have at least ten years by age 65 if they stick with the civil service job. That should give them at least the minimum Social Security pension at age 65, .

Ehud Barack Obama will not close GITMO. You can count on him to break his promises. It's one of the few things you can count on him to do. The next POTUS will keep it open even if it's Sanders.

More hype by Obama! What a liar he has been. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

"Hey-but apparently Sanders supports this plan...so it must be a good one, right?"

I actually like Bernie Sanders, but he seems to be going kind of overboard in his support for Barack Obama.

He's a good Dem - and bottom line, it's party over principle ...

This:

"Bottom line--It's party over principle."

is the big problem, but since Sanders seems to be the only Democrat who's really getting at and tackling the issues, I've decided to support him, despite my disagreement with his going overboard in support of Barack Obama.

But Democrats aren't the only choice we have ..

http://www.jill2016.com/