Home | About | Donate

Is That All There Is? Obama’s Disappointing Nuclear Legacy

Is That All There Is? Obama’s Disappointing Nuclear Legacy

Joe Cirincione

American showman P.T. Barnum said, “Always leave them wanting more.” If the fourth and final Nuclear Security Summit this week is President Barack Obama’s closing nuclear act, he will certainly be following Barnum’s dictum.

"Since the summits began, 12 countries eliminated weapons-usable nuclear material, including 200 kilograms of highly enriched uranium from Ukraine — enough for four bombs — just months before that nation convulsed in conflict. Many other nations increased the security around their supplies and joined conventions against nuclear terrorism."

I have a question for the engineers/physicists who visit this forum:

Just HOW are these weapons-usable nuclear materials eliminated? If nuclear power plants have no plan for safely storing (for longevity) their radioactive waste, what is the methodology of this so-called "elimination"?

Oh; Obama failed. How unexpected. Disappointing, isn't it?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Siouxrose1 wrote:

...I have a question for the engineers/physicists who visit this forum:

'Just HOW are these weapons-usable nuclear materials eliminated? If nuclear power plants have no plan for safely storing (for longevity) their radioactive waste, what is the methodology of this so-called "elimination"?'

I don't know, but may I point out that "weapons-usable nuclear materials" are not what a nuclear power plant (NPP) produces as waste? For a uranium weapon, the material is only slightly radioactive, as opposed to the spent fuel from an NPP. For a plutonium bomb, which has approximately the same yield as a uranium weapon but is much more difficult to fabricate, the material is fairly radioactive but the waste from an NPP is ill-suited for that purpose.

From the article:

'...The New York Times called it “potentially one of the most consequential accords in recent diplomatic history.” Nuclear experts overwhelmingly agree the agreement stops the weapons threat from Iran and makes the world safer....'

If Mr. Cirincione feels that there was ever a significant weapons threat from Iran, he may want to check the US budget for developement and production of the most lethal and diabolical instruments of destruction.