Home | About | Donate

'Is that Not Genocide?' Pipeline Co. Bulldozing Burial Sites Prompts Emergency Motion

'Is that Not Genocide?' Pipeline Co. Bulldozing Burial Sites Prompts Emergency Motion

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

In a last ditch attempt to protect burial and prayer sites, North Dakota's Standing Rock Sioux late Sunday filed for a temporary restraining order to halt construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, which they say has already caused "irreparable harm" to the sacred plots.

What does Hillary have to say about all of this?
Oh that's right she's flying over the area in her brand new shiny press friendly airplane on her way to feed another unsuspecting audience more lies.
We all know where Trump stands. Send in the Storm Troopers guns a blazing followed by the political clowns to make funny faces at us.

I wish the headline had also noted that there was a legal appeal already on the table before the weekend confrontation. That no one had done a survey of the proposed construction sites for archeological and cultural significance is criminal.

It should also be noted that, as of noon EDT, 108,568 citizens have signed the We the People petition requiring response from the White House. There's no guarantee what that response might be, but there are 108,568 of us (and counting) who will be ready to talk back if it isn't satisfactory.

Agreed. The fact they did this on the holiday weekend indicates an attempt to make this moot before the court can deal with the appeal.
I believe the Army Corps of Engineers need to rewrite their public comment procedures to provide special attention to Indian burial and cultural sites in collaboration with the affected tribes. Expecting tribes to have a survey completed at their own expense for an 1100 mile pipeline in time to meet standard public comment rules is ridiculous.

We need a full stand-down of the whole settler colonialist society and economy.
Built on and still running on genocide.
Built on and still running on enslavement.
Built on and still running on ecocide.

We do not just need to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline.
We need to stop "owning" the Earth.
We need to stop calling the living Earth "natural resources."
We need to live and die as Humans, not as machine monsters.

Life is more important than "energy resources," "smart phones," pavement, bulldozers, automobiles, airplanes.

Human / Humble / Humus, all three words come from the same root.
We are Earthlings, of the Earth. Humans, of the Humus.
We live and die with our humble humanity, or we kill everything with our "enlightened, rational" insanity.

These rotten S.O.B' s are violently destroying these sacred burial sites of the Sioux for greed! What a travesty! Just asking: what would happen to the Sioux if they did the same thing to the sacred burial site in Arlington, Va. ?

Where is the US Department of the Interior, Tribal Nations? Why are we not hearing from them? What is their position on this travesty?

Linda Black Elk: " It is clear that they are attempting to provoke us to violence".

Exactly! That is their game! Once one or two of the protesters become violent they can paint all these Native American heroes with the same brush. And if that does not work watch out Sioux brothers and sisters! For agents, provocateurs because these people are so violent that destroying your sacred burial sites means nothing to them.

A gazillion upvotes!!!

This exercise of Corporate power against the poorest people in the USA and the peoples who have longest been the victims of the US Government and its Military is disgusting beyond words. All these people want is to be able to live in the little land they have remaining and be left to live in peace and dignity while preserving that land.

The Worlds one indispensable nation? The "greatest country in the world and the cradle of freedom and liberty" ? The "shining city on the hill and light to all nations"?. What a con. What an absolute crock.

"I can remember that winter of the hundred slain (1866). As a man may remember some bad dream he dreamed when he was little, but I can not tell just how much I heard when I was bigger and how much I understood when I was little.

It is like some fearful thing in a fog, for it was a time when everything seemed troubled and afraid. I had never seen a Wasichu [white man] then, and did not know what one looked like; but everyone was saying that the Wasichus were coming and that they were going to take our country and rub us all out and that we should all have to die fighting.

Once we were happy in our own country and we were seldom hungry, for then the two-leggeds and the four-leggeds lived together like relatives, and there was plenty for them and for us.

But the Wasichus came, and they have made little islands for us and other little islands for the four leggeds, and always these islands are becoming smaller, for around them surges the gnawing flood of the Wasichu; and it is dirty with lies and greed.

I was ten years old that winter, and that was the first time I ever saw a Wasichu. At first I thought they all looked sick, and I was afraid they might just begin to fight us any time, but I got used to them.

I can remember when the bison were so many that they could not be counted, but more and more Wasichus came to kill them until there were only heaps of bones scattered where they used to be. The Wasichus did not kill them to eat; they killed them for the metal that makes them crazy, and they took only the hides to sell.

Sometimes they did not even take the hides, only the tongues; and I have heard that fire boats came down the Missouri River loaded with dried bison tongues.

You can see that the men who did this were crazy. Sometimes they did not even take the tongues; they just killed and killed because they Iiked to do that."

Black Elk of the Oglala Sioux.

Black Elk, Crazy Horse. Chief Joseph. Sitting Bull, Looking Glass, Geronimo and a great list of leaders and members of the First Nations peoples of what is now the United States of America were true heroes and were true defenders of freedom and liberty against oppression and tyranny. All the Wasichu did was butcher the animals, butcher the people and now butcher the land.

This is colonialism at its finest. Cultural genocide is part of the assimilation process, a goal openly boasted by the US Congress as it passes such monstrosities as NCLB and ESSA, designed to eliminate differences and uniqueness among our children.

"Destroying the Tribe's sacred places over a holiday weekend, while the judge is considering whether to block the pipeline, shows a flagrant disregard for the legal process," Hasselman added.

Yes. Hopefully, the judge will factor that into his/her decision and end this pipeline.

Badly in need of the GUILLOTINE! I would seriously love to see their HEADS dropping in that basket ...

Blessings to you cf and all Earth Love Warriors.

Lovely as your chant for responsibility is, I don't quite get what you could mean, in practical terms, by

Where are you leaving for? My Mayflower ancestor left his Indian slave to my forebear's (a daughter) younger brother, so it's not mine to undo that. Some on the other side of my family seem to have come as indentured servants themselves, and as Quakers to have distanced themselves from slaveholders with the same surname.

There is no way to just set the brake and start over. The best we can do is to stand, in body or in spirit as each is able, with the Standing Rock Sioux and those others facing current struggles. The best we can do is to become aware that we share the Earth and, yes, we're all human.

Not leaving for anywhere. Stopping the process of omnicide, right where you are.

Um, just to keep things clear, that was the Cherokee. Not to diminish the suffering of the Sioux, but let's not diminish another nation either. I don't think the indigenous nations compete for most pitied.

Please say how you intend to do that.

Hi there, " They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot... " , Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi

From TeleSur. Same tactics.
Purge the Indigenous. Make way for "modern civilization".

Israel's Beer Festival on Muslim Cemetery

Published on Sep 3, 2016
Occupation of Palestine is not enough? Israel held a beer festival on a Muslim cemetery, which they had destroyed and renamed "Independence Park".