Home | About | Donate

"Is There No End to Big Oil's Evil?" Campaigners Condemn Industry Plan to Pour US Plastics Into Africa

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/31/there-no-end-big-oils-evil-campaigners-condemn-industry-plan-pour-us-plastics-africa

2 Likes

NO! there is no end to Big-Oils Evil, nor Big-Insurance, Big Pharma, For-Profit War, banker/Wall Street, Big Lobbyists and their Big-Corruption - nor in the entirety of the equally evil trump regime, nor in the entrenched controlling shills within the DP and its sold out Clinton/Obama/Pelosi/Perez et al wing of corporate tools!

And THAT is why We The People need a new political mechanism - a new party - to represent the people, planet and sustainable future, because neither “major” party now extant does!! The People’s Party.
Please see this link beginning at 3:48:42 for inspiration and The WHY!

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6u5xPJaW2s

"What is an evil man? The man is evil who coerces obedience to his private ends, destroys beauty, produces pain, extinguishes life."- Jack Vance, 1964

8 Likes

First Obama/Hillary/Gates send Africa monsanto/gmo and now drumpf/big oil this, good ole one two punch. Some species humans have turned out to be. The march towards extinction goes on.

5 Likes

the answer to the title question is there an end to oil industry’s evil is NO. From promoting fossil fuel use and undermining conservation, evading taxes, killing wildlife, insisting on drilling on public lands as much as possible even as there is an oil glut, fouling all the oceans, making everything as ugly as possible, to now dumping on Africa, the list goes on and on. And their “recycling” is largely a scam, little is collected and even if it is much is wasted, its an excuse to evade responsibility and shift the burden to consumers and taxpayers. I don’t bother recycling what plastic I get and try to minimize using their products by walking more and driving less.

5 Likes

Not difficult. Sweden burns their garbage and plastic. It is so efficient that they buy other people garbage. That way you don’t waste energy shipping it half way around the world, you don’t create land fill. decreasing packaging by charging manufacturers for that hard plastic you have to cut with a knife is a first step. But burning it keeps it out of the ecosphere, creates energy and replaces coal which is far worse. The solution to charge a dime a bag is a regressive tax favored by CA environmentalists which did nothing but make money for companies. Bezos ships a dozen boxes a week to the 90-98 percenters who along with thew DNC are favoring feel good regressive taxes so they think they are good people. They don’t pay a dime for them.

1 Like

As context for this gathering of reports by Jessica Corbett here at COMMON DREAMS that references the early 1990’s Feudal Lords of Education\Health\HIgh FInance\Housing\Life Sciences\Tech\Telecomm thinking on the prospective value to the NEW WORLD ORDER supply chain of under-polluted and usually under-developed nations, we should review the role of our current U.S. front-runner in the upcoming Presidential election’s retained Chief Economic Advisor, Larry Summers: From 1991 when he was still a wunderkind of Neo-Liberal E-CONomic doctrine and dogma while employed at the World Bank and contracting to the House of Clinton after he had contracted so influentially to the MORNING IN AMERICA era of VOO DOO SUPPLY SIDE ECONOMICS of the House of Reagan Bush:
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summers_memo

Don’t say ya didn’t get the memo!

The Summers memo was a 1991 memo on trade [liberalization] that was written by Lant Pritchett and signed by Lawrence Summers who was then Chief Economist the World Bank. It included a section that both Summers and Pritchett say was sarcastic that suggested dumping toxic waste in third-world countries for perceived economic benefits.

After the material was leaked by Roberto Smeraldi of Friends of the Earth to Jornal do Brasil on February 2, 1992, Pritchett (who worked under Summers) stated that he had written the memo and Summers had only signed it, and that it was intended to be “sarcastic”. According to Pritchett, the memo as leaked was doctored to remove context and intended irony, and was “a deliberate fraud and forgery to discredit Larry and the World Bank”.

Daniel Hausman and Michael McPherson have argued that the satirical section might seem to be based in economics as a science, but in fact contains strong moral premises which cannot be removed and still leave the argument intact. Brazilian Secretary of the Environment Jose Lutzenberger argued that it demonstrated “the arrogant ignorance of many conventional ‘economists’ concerning the nature of the world we live in”.

Text of the excerpt

DATE: December 12, 1991
TO: Distribution
FR: Lawrence H. Summers
Subject: GEP

‘Dirty’ Industries: Just between you and me, shouldn’t the World Bank be encouraging MORE migration of the dirty industries to the LDCs [Least Developed Countries]? I can think of three reasons:

1. The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that.

2. The costs of pollution are likely to be non-linear as the initial increments of pollution probably have very low cost. I’ve always thought that under-populated countries in Africa are vastly UNDER-polluted, their air quality is probably vastly inefficiently low compared to Los Angeles or Mexico City. Only the lamentable facts that so much pollution is generated by non-tradable industries (transport, electrical generation) and that the unit transport costs of solid waste are so high prevent world welfare enhancing trade in air pollution and waste.

3. The demand for a clean environment for aesthetic and health reasons is likely to have very high income elasticity. The concern over an agent that causes a one in a million change in the odds of prostrate[sic] cancer is obviously going to be much higher in a country where people survive to get prostrate[sic] cancer than in a country where under 5 mortality is 200 per thousand. Also, much of the concern over industrial atmosphere discharge is about visibility impairing particulates. These discharges may have very little direct health impact. Clearly trade in goods that embody aesthetic pollution concerns could be welfare enhancing. While production is mobile the consumption of pretty air is a non-tradable.

The problem with the arguments against all of these proposals for more pollution in LDCs (intrinsic rights to certain goods, moral reasons, social concerns, lack of adequate markets, etc.) could be turned around and used more or less effectively against every Bank proposal for liberalization.

— Lawrence Summers,

Extensive news articles and discussion regarding this memo were included in the [US Senate hearing records] for Summers’ nomination to Secretary of the Treasury in 1993. In this hearing, Summers stated:

"The memo was drafted in my office at the World Bank as a comment on a research paper that was being prepared by part of my staff at the World Bank.

"As drafted, the memo sought to clarify the strict economic logic by using some rather inflammatory language, not to make any kind of policy recommendation. And I obviously reviewed the memo inadequately before I signed it.

“It made no attempt and was never intended in any way as a serious policy recommendation. No sane person favors dumping toxic waste near where anybody lives or thinks that places could be made better off with more toxic waste.”

Here’s to the reforms we found within the Obama-Biden Cabinet of Wall Street Apex Predators we elected in 2008, inherited from the Post TROUBLED ASSET RELIEF PROGRAM (TARP) structured by Bush-Cheney Treasury Secretary and former CEO of Goldman Sachs, Hank Paulson to lead U.S. from the 2nd tax-payer bail-out of lenders but never borrowers under the House of Bush. It followed the 1989 Resolution Trust Corporation tax-payer bail-out of the collapsed U.S. Savings and Loan industry that had been allowed to regulate itself under prevailing bi-partisan Neo-Liberal E-CONomic doctrine and dogma.
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_loan_crisis

"The future’s so bright we gotta wear shades…"

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Code Shifters and Atonement Seekers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa
Media Discussion List and Looksee

2 Likes

When Lawrence Summers was head of the World Bank, it held a symposium on what to do with the first world’s mounting garbage disposal problem.

Larry helpfully suggested that they look to Africa, because “…it’s underpolluted…”

2 Likes

I was contributing to the new alt newspaper in the Bay Area at the time, SF WEEKLY. Our News Editor Art Silverman ran a note on the specific recommendations of that sarcastic joker Larry Summers, Neo-Liberal E-CONomic wunderkind from his Golden Passport at Harvard to Director of the World Bank (didn’t the Cold War Chicago Boys tell U.S. and whoever would listen to the Mighty Wurlitzer that only them pinko Commies had central banks that interfered in otherwise FREE MARKETS? Wasn’t having a central bank a sign of aligning yer nation to THE EVIL EMPIRE of them Russkies?) Summers was riffing on just how wealthy HAITI could become by recruiting the radioactive medical wastes of North America because HAITI was so under-polluted! They didn’t need a diverse economy like all that crazy Grandma’s Wisdom about diversifying one’s developing economy so no nation-state would put all their eggs in one basket. Summers was serious about each nation-station having a “specialized role to play” in the Global Supply Chain.

Within a week SF WEEKLY the new alternative start-up in the Bay Area to the fossilized BAY GUARDIAN was getting inundated with reader correspondence. Sacks of mail to the new NEWS SECTION. Don’t try telling me newspapers have to fail just because their bid-net model is selling glazed eyeballs to their advertisers and PR industry feeding off of politicos who cannot air their campaign ideas for free and to the benefit of all on a non-commercial PUBLIC INTEREST parallel broadcast system that could be paid for by a mere 1% tax on the very Ad & PR INDUSTRY that have hijacked our so-called PUBLIC AIRWAVES for their Pay2Play political rigging and return of the Feudal System via Corporate Looting. Go back and read the last chapter of recommendations in Commercial Broadcast veteran producer Dennis Mazzocco’s book as part of his PhD dissertation titled NETWORKS OF POWER (published decades ago in paperback by South End Press in Boston).

Summers missed his calling. He coulda headlined and played the Big Room in Vegas. Rickles and Sinatra coulda opened for him with the rest of the Rat Pack. Not such a tough crowd as the Feudal Lords of HI FInance\Health\Education\Housing\Life Sciences\Social Welfare turned out to be. Although the SHRINK BIG GOVERNMENT federally contracted academics at the University of Chicago known by their stage name as THE CHICAGO BOYS were real push-overs. That Uncle Miltie in his push-up was toooo much. When Rodney Dangerfield played THE WORLD BANK and IMF circuit he complained it reminded him of the tough joints he played in his yoot. Like NUNZIO’s in Toledo where the hat check girl’s name was Dominic! Ba-ding…

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Code Shifters and Atonement Seekers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa
Media Discussion List and Looksee

1 Like

M.R.: I was in SF at the time. Thanks for your post.

1 Like

Citation required.

1 Like

Agree Completely!
The whole Plastic/Recycle, BS scheme, is just so Oil can move to a new/continuing
business niche! Always has been! I was perfectly HAPPY w/ Glass, Paper, and all those
reusable, degradable, non-harmful packaging we had when I was a kid.
No… Now, EVERYTHING needs to be double and triple shrouded in layers of Plastic!

Yeah, as long as we are a neo-lib oligarchy… We’re SCREWED!

4 Likes

Just a reminder. Trash is never thrown “away”, it is simply moved elsewhere. Away would imply into a rocket ship into outer space aimed towards the Sun. China quit accepting USA trash a while back. So now Africa. What’s next? Antarctica? How about limiting it’s ubiquitous use? My home is filled with plastic items. Drawers, TV & PC–necessary evils, desktop, cabinets, dishes, etc. Plus all the plastic packaging I throw away in the dumpster every month. Which is moved to the local landfill. Burning it just puts carbon into the overburdened atmosphere. It’s time to make strict limits and quit giving evil oil corps a free pass.

3 Likes

Endocrine disrupting chemicals are everywhere else, if any one area is any less polluted they would be a control group that could be used to prove an incredible case against the chemical industry which knew many of these chemicals caused major health problems, cancer, metabolic syndromes, obesity, etc many many decades ago… The cost is astronomical. So science must be prevented, healthcare must be prevented at all costs.

2 Likes

Dream on. Rome is burning and you can’t stop it. No one can. How many days until the election? What, exactly, will The People’s Party do in that timeframe? I do agree that both parties stink but it’s easier to talk to than take measurable action. If you are planning big protests and strikes, Trump will be re-elected for sure. You will play right into his hands. Be careful what you wish for.

I’ve seen a recent article about some African site that has started compressing plastic waste into paving blocks. Rather small - the picture showed only two people. If Big Oil is allowed to send plastic waste to Africa, should they be required to also send compression machines similar to the two the site mentioned above uses?

If you burn plastic waste, what is the result of burning the types that contain chlorine? There are even a few types, such as Teflon, that contain fluorine.

1 Like

Notice how this article talks about the horrors of plastic and its effect on other nations and ecosystems? Yet offers no substitutes for said plastics…

It’s not like they don’t exist, there just not even remotely in comparable scale.

Like tobacco’s move to developing countries when faced with lawsuits and other difficulties in the US, an industry shows its—and the right wing’s—preference for poverty, desperation, inequality, and lack of education.

2 Likes

If you are interested, @Trog and I had what I thought was an interesting discussion on this topic starting at ~https://commons.commondreams.org/t/activists-demand-bolder-efforts-to-address-pollution-after-scientists-find-microplastics-in-human-organs/81288/24

Not unlike SLAVE MENTALITY, these plans look at Africans like semi-humans.

It reminds us of how, once, when the U.S. forcibly brought Africans to THIS country to bolster the economy of SOME, this “trade deal” sends OUR WASTE to be deposited on the African homeland, once again as a means to bolster the profits of the wealthy here.

This means that WE, as a nation, have learned NOTHING about the value of humanity in five hundred years! We allow the powerful to continue deciding who shall live as humans and who shall not.

This is a reminder of the ultimate disgrace of America: after all this time as a nation, the People have ZERO CONTROL over the forces that decide what LIFE IS and IS NOT!

Democracy is effectively … DEAD !!

2 Likes