Home | About | Donate

Is This How the First Meeting Between Schumer and Pelosi With Newly-Elected Progressives Like Ocasio-Cortez Will Go?

What are you going to say when you are yet again disappointed?

The Sucker class never learns.

Best of luck to Ocasio-Cortez but she and all the other progressive who won will soon see the impenetrable muck that "leaders like Schumer and Pelosi have filled the party with and they too will have to resign to “incrementalism”. Meanwhile the planet burns…

Meanwhile, here on the left coast a very progressive female of Asian decent won her re-election by 83%. My advice to those new progressive thinking members is to stand their ground.

Perfect summary of what is going on with the Democrats and Pelosi. They can easily destroy any and all momentum they might have gained by putting Pelosi back in as speaker.

Yea, and we had an Assembly race out here in California where the democrats and loads of corporate money went for a Democrat candidate who had worked with Obama over a local City Council person who was much more progressive and not in the pocket of vested financial interests including the charter school crowd. Guess who won?

Private and corporate money and gifts do nothing more than buy people and votes

With Republicans still controlling the Senate, the Presidency, the majority of states and increasingly the courts, effective Democratic resistance to the Trump agenda requires a willingness for the different parts of the Democratic party to work together. Pelosi was once considered a progressive leader so don’t be duped by the decades of Republican demonization because she is a woman and from liberal San Francisco. On most issues including environmental protection, reproductive freedom, voting eights, labor rights, civil rights, opposing the GOP tax giveaways to the rich, saving social security/medicare/medicaid, she and the progressives are in basic agreement.
Its the GOP and the 1% that gain by emphasizing Democratic divisions.

I love that these people have been elected, it’s great and as an old fart I say we need more young blood.
But what can they do besides being vocal and bringing out the issues? That is all they have right now, a bigger soapbox than the rest of us.
Forget schumer and pelosi, forget that the democrats run the spectrum from liberal to conservative and trying to get all of them onboard for anything is going to be as difficult as balancing on the point of a needle.
None of it gets through the senate, mitch doesn’t deal with the democrats at all. Anything passed, no matter how conservative will get mitch to sign on. He will do what was done to Obama, never let anything be accomplished so the dems will be a one term representative.
If the democrats can’t get anything done, the next election will be back to putting republicans back into power to do what they want. More tax cuts for the rich, more efforts to destroy health care, more attempts to cut SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. And the voters will go along with it with false promises to them.

Does that include some newbie that just wants to learn a little about the sordid world of politics??

“…We seem to forget that money is the root of all evil! That makes Repubs evil!”

And most Dems a somewhat lessor evil!! If your voting preferences include any support of evil, then we will have to disagree, and don’t count on my support or vote unless you offer me a candidate that lacks evil.

“…If the democrats can’t get anything done, the next election will be back to putting republicans back into power to do what they want. More tax cuts for the rich, more efforts to destroy health care, more attempts to cut SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. And the voters will go along with it with false promises to them.”

Accept your fate or offer candidates and policies that can gain the acceptance and support of progressives.

I’m on a first-name basis with my city council rep and I asked her about whether she prioritized policy or party.

A liberal Dem, she assured me it was policy.

A month later she endorsed the Dem candidate over the clearly more liberal DSA Independent in the 2-way race in our ward. I called her to remind her of her claim and directly call her a bullshitter, and her response was that they were both good candidates.

Until the Democratic party roots out corporate financing, it will continue to be the pawn of corporatist interests and cleave to the Republican-lite label they earn.

Pelosi will agree to Social Security cuts.
She is a Neoliberal & she believes in Austerity as the way.

She is capable of anything except standing up to criminal leaders such as Bush and Trump.

If you live in California - it is basically a democratic party machine and the mainstream democrats seem to do everything they can to gut truly progressive politicians and agendas. The legislature - almost all Democratic - is basically run by lobbyists.