Home | About | Donate

Is This The End Of Education Austerity?

Is This The End Of Education Austerity?

Don’t get too excited yet, but there are signs we may have finally turned a corner for the better in the war for public school financing.

Recently, government officials and politicians – from the Beltway to the heartland – have declared allegiance to do what has been, up until now, the unmentionable: Spend more money on public education.

If they’re sincere, we may be on the cusp of a historic turnaround in the politics of austerity – at least at it pertains to how we treat the nation’s youngest citizens.

I believe the idea that more money is needed to support a clearly failed education model is false.

It is clear that not too long ago a man could provide for his family. Those who control our finances have made it impossible for most men to provide adequately for their family. This carefully planned action has led to mothers having to work. This, by careful design, has moved the parenting function away from parents and to government institutions that are able to form opinions in children supporting the goals of our financial leaders.

How can anyone support giving money to a clearly failed and discriminatory system?

How can voters not see that it is the Educational Industrial Complex leading this disaster to support their own funding?

We have a population that is over educated and under jobbed.

We are educating illegals, that should be rapidly deported, for no reason at all!

I would hope Common Dreams would look carefully into this issue and present a realistic presentation of reality rather than the false claims that we need more educated workers.

The worst thin to happen in education recently was when Congress decided student debt could not be discharged.

Colleges are the only people conning people in to a terrible debt situation with the totally false expectation that the student will be able to pay it back.

All student loans should be illegal. How can it be ethical to give a person a loan when there is no reasonable expectation that the loan can be repaid. Talk about a true scam.

I asked our state education department to create a list of all open jobs requiring no experience but a college degree. They did not do so because hey knew in our state few, if any, such jobs existed.

In our state alone we produce, each year, 4 times as many certificated teachers as there are openings.

In a discussion with a legislator he said "if we do not raise standards how can we get more money"? It is all about money for Educrats it has, unfortunately, nothing to do with what kids need to provide for their future.

I would appreciate Common Dreams present the other, and real, side of the scam!

The issue of education is endlessly complicated. Every point of view expressed is only part of the whole, and rare are the opinions that deal with the core issue: the purpose of K-12 education. Most of the time when purpose is touched upon what is given is peripheral to the essence, which for school is to tell children things they do not know about the world they live in, and in so doing give them useful habits of responsibility for rich living. If money given to education does not contribute to this end the risk is that it will be largely wasted.

@John,

The main reason students have to take out such large loans is because states have deeply slashed their support for higher education. Recall that a university education used to be free in Texas and California, and so cheap in most other states that tuition could be paid for with a low wage summer job.

And regarding K-12, in my area the quality of schools is savagely unequal based on the racism-influenced economic fortunes, and therefore the RE tax funding, of one school district over another. For the poor areas, including the whole city of Pittsburgh the solution is indeed better funding.

And, please retire this notion that women empowering themselves is part of a plot to prevent "a man from providing for his family". Women can provide for their families too. And if a two-income household has indeed become the norm, it is because of the current era of capitalist triumphalism over worker's interests, and in particular, the decline of organized labor and we live in, not spooky scheming of "big government". Commondreams civility rules prevent me from writing what I really feel about both these reactionary attitudes.

Off-topic, but where did the "like" button go to? This comment system is either buggy or not very intuitive to use. And why can't discussions be threaded?

Also, where did the edit function go?

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

I did not intent to suggest that it is wrong for a female to work. What I do believe is that parents, or if that is not possible grandparents, should rise children at home, not in institutions, until age 8.

Could you address my concern as to why anyone can ethically give a loan to someone when there is no evidence of ability to repay?

One should ask just why the cost of colleges has far exceeded the cost of living. I really do think if no loans were available costs would go down.

Your point about racism in schools due to the way schools are funded is spot on. It is why I oppose all local funding of schools. It is not just racial discrimination that is in play her but socio-economic factors such as living in a remote or rural area away from any institutions of higher learning which often offer extra programs for kids.

The other issue I would like to see covered is why we should fund a failed system controlled by unions. Older people know we got to the moon without education reform. Older people also know that integrating schools had a disastrous impact on education because of the way it was done. We still have an education system that fails children of all races and backgrounds. We have a system that fails, and discriminates against, our students because it has allowed illegal students to be served.

I simply disagree that the end of the one person having to work home is not a direct result of our government.

Please explain why you believe we moved from U.S. Treasury notes to Federal =Reserve Notes. The bottom line is there is no justification for the government, or financial institutions, to charge interest on loans as the money never exists in reality. The banks do not have the money they create it out of thin air, as does Congress when it want to bail out corporations.

The bottom line is the fact that no one can show any evidence of open jobs that do not require real experience. The need for more money for "education" is not about the need for education but about money for the Educational Industrial Complex. Ever wonder why a state does not develop its own set of textbooks and cut profit out of the loop?

When an educational system is based on compulsion instead of desire, yes a long time ago kids wanted an education, and is based on educational paradigms designed for student failure we have a problem.

John,

It seems that I cannot reply directly to your comment, but there is little evidence that tuitions and fee are driven by "market forces" so that if students cold not get loans, tuition would go down. There is always a supply of wealthy students - increasingly from outside the US. A majority of the student body of the prestigious and expensive Carnegie-Mellon University where I live are Indians and Chinese from rich families. These wealthy represent only a couple percent of these countries populations, but with a combined population of 3 billion, that is still a lot of students for whom $60K a year is chump-change.

Student loans are made because most of them are federally guaranteed Stafford loans - the federal guarantee effectively serving as support for higher education access - but a perverse one. The better solution is to make university education free to all who academically qualify - like it is in Europe - and used to be in some US states.

For K12 education, I feel that the most important thing for schools to do for poverty-stricken children is to feed them nutritious meals. Nutrition is important for health and health is important for education. The Greeks were right about a sound mind in a sound body. And exercise and good diet are about equally important for achieving a sound body to house a mind. A smart school district would do its best to avoid getting top heavy, with too many administrators and not enough rank and file. It would also do well to encourage teachers to identify and recruit as both peer tutors and junior teacher aids, the ablest students in their classes. Students helping each other study is good for both those students who give more help than they receive and for those receiving help. The abler students really consolidate their mastery of the subject, and the less able students get some help in catching up to their peers.
When I was a student in high school--most of the compulsion came from my mother, and she made such a botch of it, she literally drove me insane, taught to hate her, school, and English, and deprived me of the opportunity to learn how to proofread by insisting on doing all my proofreading for me. I would have fared much better if she could have left me alone.