Home | About | Donate

Israel Lobby Groups Hatch Plan to Divide the Left

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/17/israel-lobby-groups-hatch-plan-divide-left

3 Likes

"Anti-Zionism, therefore, is not prejudice against Jews as Israel and its lobby groups claim.

Anti-Zionism, based in universal human rights principles, is anti-racism."

As I was wont to say back in my college days, “Fucking A!”

4 Likes

This is the beginning of a tactic that has been in use in Britain now for a couple of years with the unrelenting attacks on Jeremy Corbyn and the Labor party. Everybody is anti-jewish and must be punished. Criticism of Israhell is proof of being anti-jewish. At the moment the left press has been trying to downplay this aspect of the story (think democracy now) but soon it will be inescapable. Loyalty to Americans or loyalty to the jewish state. It is clear most of the congress and the president seem more loyal to the jewish state than Americans. Amazing, sad, scary. We are all Palestinians.

9 Likes

A little off-topic, but Abunimah offers a beautiful, concise definition of one of those frequently spoken, seldom defined terms of activistspeak:

The term intersectionality was coined by scholar Kimberlé Crenshaw in 1989 to describe a feminist perspective that explains how individuals or communities experience overlapping systems of oppression based on gender, race, ethnicity and other socioeconomic factors.

I have no quibble with how Crenshaw used the term, but this definition clarifies what bothers me about its usage today. What’s wrong with the word “solidarity”? It’s simple and clear, going straight to hanging on solidly with your fellow strugglers, because you are all one people. By contrast, “intersectionality” makes a poor synonym, because of the complicated paths of oppression it traces, through all the diverse identities of a single individual. But it’s the same Man oppressing, and the same person oppressed.

“Solidarity” implies the struggle is simple. “Intersectionality” draws the equally valid implication that the struggle is complicated.

1 Like

Some of those so called “progressive” Democrats are hard at work trying to end BDS

7 Likes

Solidarity implies, to me at least, group cohesion among those who find themselves in struggle against a particular set of oppressive circumstances—trade unionists, advocates for the homeless, and reproductive freedom campaigners come immediately to mind.

“Intersectionality,” on the other hand, implies that there may be both a common set of causes and a common set of solutions to seemingly unrelated problems, and that single-issue struggles are doomed to be inherently less effective by dividing the oppressed into factions who always talk past each other.

The left, by the way, is late to the intersectionality party. I believe there are more Christian Zionists than Jewish ones, for example, since both groups work and pray for an Eretz Isroel and so, for now, have put aside the question, “What happens after we bring about Armageddon?”

1 Like

If you have not seen the documentary “The Lobby” yet you are doing yourself a great disservice.

4 Likes

Israeli zionists and their US support, is the biggest reason for the lack of world peace, full stop.
The citizens of the US will never regain control of our country, and the Palestinians will not survive genocide, unless this bond is broken. The pro Israel lobby must be registered as foreign, and abide by the rules enacted for other foreign lobbyists in the US.
BDS!!

7 Likes

But, But according to Kamala Harris is all the Russians.! She even suggested they behind the take a knee protests started by Kaepernick

1 Like

“This is the beginning of a tactic that has been in use in Britain now for a couple of years…Criticism of Israhell is proof of being anti-jewish.”

Attacking Israel critics as antisemitic is a new tactic of Israeli lobbies?

“…the left press has been trying to downplay this aspect of the story (think democracy now)…”

Honestly don’t get your point…the left is ‘infected’ with this ‘covering up what’s really happening’?
[https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/07/labour-party-antisemitism-corbyn-williamson]

“…but soon it will be inescapable. Loyalty to Americans or loyalty to the jewish state. It is clear most of the congress and the president seem more loyal to the jewish state than Americans.”

OK, two points, “Northcascadian.”

First, I would certainly argue that, from a realpolitik international relations point of view, it is not in the US’s interest to support Israel - not economically, not in the UN, not by military aid; and that, in place of that support, it IS in the US’s interest to more-or-less impose a settlement to get Israel out of the West Bank and Gaza, enforce equal Palestinian rights in Israel, and support a Palestinian right of return.

(But, btw, that’s not why I am against Israel/US’s anti-Palestinian positions: I support Palestinians first because their cause is just and the US/Israel are oppressive as well as in violation of international law.)

Second, however, I reject your phrasing:

On the one hand, right wing support for Israel is not simply about support for a “jewish state”: it is part of centuries of US imperialist interventionism abroad, and - in a more recent context - part of a longstanding strategy to ‘split off’ domestically liberal Jews on the ‘Israel question’ to strengthen the right.

And then, on the other hand, “Northerncascade,” framing support for Israel as a matter of “loyalty” to a “jewish state” vs. “loyalty to Americans” - as you do - is antisemitic. It is antisemitic because it rephrases historically antisemitic ideas of Jews as a secretly dominant and disloyal minority in countries: as somehow controlling the state behind the scenes; and as not really belonging to or being loyal to a national majority, not loyal to ‘the people.’

You need to either rethink the message you’re sending. Or 'fess up about it.

The is not new, it is an age old practice that can be seen applied in the course of history, beginning with our own. I think this came out of an ancient bag of political tricks. The Author did a great job of presenting the information and has obviously given this a lot of thought. I appreciate his use of affinity although in a non-traditional way. I just hope this isn’t a reportable category.

Racists have too much power.
Palestine has a right to exist!

3 Likes

There’s a pretty simple solution for Israel if they are (rightly) worried that more and more people are (finally) understanding that the Israeli government and its rabid supporters are oppressors. Gain some humanity and empathy for Palestinians (something that should not be difficult for them given their history of being oppressed.

Hopefully that narrative will be crushed if they ever get Mueller to testify.

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/07/16/ray-mcgovern-sic-transit-gloria-mueller/

1 Like

Excellent article. Makes it even harder to understand what the hell “the Left” is waiting for while these AIPAC/Zionist goons, trolls and tyrants sit around planning in plain sight their next campaign of self-serving lies. They have played Americans for suckers long enough.

2 Likes

Fuck Israel, cut off ALL US funding to Israel and let’s see how that works out for them. I’m sick of them “using” our military (and money) to fight their “skirmishes”.

1 Like

To criticize any largely Jewish State or organization, pursuing Jewish objectives should be above criticism and the critic removed from any position of influence, because such criticism is by definition anti-Semitic and must therefore be motivated by bigotry: There could never be good cause for criticizing essentially Jewish actions. Netanyahu, being Jewish, is really fair, without a racist bone in his body. At least, that’s what some would have us believe.

“On the one hand, right wing support for Israel is not simply about support for a “jewish state”: it is part of centuries of US imperialist interventionism abroad, and - in a more recent context - part of a longstanding strategy to ‘split off’ domestically liberal Jews on the ‘Israel question’ to strengthen the right.”

As far as I have seen, ‘Israel’ is not part of “US imperialist interventionsim” Israel has been the apple of the global elites eye for over 150 years. The US has been convenient for the Jewish state but so has the Soviet Union as has Britain, France and Germany. See Alison Weir’s Against Our Better Judgement

And then, on the other hand, “Northerncascade,” framing support for Israel as a matter of “loyalty” to a “jewish state” vs. “loyalty to Americans” - as you do - is antisemitic. It is antisemitic because it rephrases historically antisemitic ideas of Jews as a secretly dominant and disloyal minority in countries: as somehow controlling the state behind the scenes; and as not really belonging to or being loyal to a national majority, not loyal to ‘the people.’

And on the other hand “Baska” framing loyalty to a jewish supremacist project as being compatible with the values of the US constitution seems impossible. Declaring that Jewish supremacist ideology is wrong does not equate with Jewish people as a whole are wrong, only the ones that practice Jewish Supremacy. Feel free to disavow Jewish Supremacists it’s okay!