Home | About | Donate

'It Is Time to Give Peace a Chance': Historic FARC Peace Deal Achieved

'It Is Time to Give Peace a Chance': Historic FARC Peace Deal Achieved

Nika Knight, staff writer

After almost four years of negotiations and over 50 years of war, Colombia's rebel FARC group and the government finally signed a peace accord in Havana, Cuba, late Wednesday.

"We won the most beautiful of all battles: Peace," said the rebel group's top negotiator, Iván Márquez.

I hope this one holds for more than a month, but I'm not holding my breath. FARCs the last of the old school rebellions, and one of the most successful. It took an astonishing amount of US support to hold the rebels off all these years.
For the sake of the Colombian people, I hope the traditionally corrupt government in Bogota will actually honor any agreement to open the political system up to challenge from the Left a la Venezuela, but I'm not optimistic.

It's easy to start a war. It's hard to end one.

If the government fails to live up to its part of the agreement, it becomes much easier for FARC to discredit it and begin the rebellion again.

I hope the right-wing death squads also have to make restitution.

no doubt a recalcitrant Cuba has something to do with this. But if the govt's hand was that strong, they wouldn't even make the deal in the first place. Everyone in the field fighting gets support from somewhere else in some form or another.

"Critics say the accord should be renegotiated to include jail time for crimes against humanity and a ban on those convicted of such crimes from holding public office.""

Good luck with that. Tried that in Eastern Europe after the wall fell. Commies wouldn't hear of it. Of course there were some bleeding hearts sympathizers as well with their usual "let's not be like them" line. Oh well,...

I'm hopeful but I also recognize that should the people accept the agreement it's a long shot that it will be honored particularly if the US seeks to undermine it. The Truth and Reconciliation Agreement was successful in South Africa after many years of apartheid so here's to giving peace a chance.

I hope it works out for all people in Columbia. So many wounds to heal and maybe this time, it'll work better than the last. Maybe even some reparations for those whose now great grandparents were driven into the jungle for demanding a living wage from United Fruit.

It appears many folks commenting don't know how this all began and maybe it would help if they did. It began with United Fruit refusing to pay workers a living wage and then further punishing them for trying to form a popular labor movement, None of this had anything to do with Cuba or the Bolsheviks at the turn of the 20th century either, contrary to some of what I read in other's comments. The U.S. backed United Fruit naturally and with the help of the U.S. military, workers were driven, quite literally, into the jungles of Columbia, and have been called rebels and worse ever since.
It should be noted that, similar labor movements were going on all over the world at the time this conflict began, only in the U.S.this was called the Progressive Movement, which did gain some concessions, unlike in Columbia, where the people didn't win a thing except a what? Freedom to live in the jungle for decades, constantly under attack by U.S. backed forces in service to United Fruit.
Yes. I hope it works out this time. Last time, it was a ploy to get organizers into the open so they could be murdered.