Home | About | Donate

It’s a $cam!: The American Way of War in the Twenty-First Century

It’s a $cam!: The American Way of War in the Twenty-First Century

Tom Engelhardt

Let’s begin with the $12 billion in shrink-wrapped $100 bills, Iraqi oil money held in the U.S. The Bush administration began flying it into Baghdad on C-130s soon after U.S. troops entered that city in April 2003. Essentially dumped into the void that had once been the Iraqi state, at least $1.2 to $1.6 billion of it was stolen and ended up years later in a mysterious bunker in Lebanon. And that’s just what happened as the starting gun went off.

Having endured some "thank-you-for-your-service" yesterday, Veterans Appreciation Day, and trying to explain the rank corruption, waste, and pain inflicted by the American Profitering War Machine that this article reveals to people who have never been in the military, is disappointing. However, as everybody can see the situation is unsustainable. We pay for it at home two or three ways: the broken soldiers (who should have known better by now) coming home, the depleted infrastructure, and the national and individual debt of all kinds. It will end when we run out of money and people, or before, if we're going to survive.

Looking for an honest transaction? Go to the local ballpark and respond to the one shouting "Cold beer here--get your cold beer here." Do they still do that? Are there any honest transactions left?

The corruption is a symptom and by-product of the disease. Cleaning it up won't effect a cure. The money and resources would merely be allocated to the next illegal and immoral escapade by the warriors in charge of our government. The corruption is every bit as incidental as the notion of winning versus losing, success or failure of stated mission goals. The overreaching crime is war, itself.

So the republicans are right, the government needs to be shrunk to a size so it can fit into a bathtub? This proves government cannot do anything right. Of course, this is what they have been working to prove for the last 40 years. They defund, mismanage agencies and allow corruption down to the janitor. But this has been a democrat running the executive office, the commander in chief is a democrat as the Secretary of State, Treasurer.

Fine job so now why do we not a nightly discussion of the corruption in the Military Industrial Complex and congressional individuals responsible for this fleecing on all the major networks and cable news? I guess I know the answer to those questions, they are all in on it and propping it up to save their jobs.

Only look to Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden to see what happens to people that do not play by the mafia rule.

The scam is not just in the Twenty-First Century, but the war scam goes back to 1776. In spite of what your US history books have told you, the Revolutionary war was surreptitiously instigated by the Oligarchs and plantation slave holders of vast wealth, of that time.

And that has been the modus operandi of the American way ever since.

Even back in the militarist days of ancient Rome, corruption bred incompetence and over time incompetence became entrenched at the top and that bred even more opportunities for corruption.

You knew that Halliburton fought against us like they were an enemy from within. You just knew that creating a privatized military would cost more and in the end created a privatized mercenary army that were paid two and three times the pay of our soldiers and got the least dangerous jobs and acted the worst.

You knew as Bush gave two trillion $$ in tax cuts to the wealthy right after 9/11 and then borrowed over a trillion a year every year he was in office from the Chinese that something was rotten somewhere. Enron and Worldcom... remember them? How did all that plus the off shoring outsourcing factories closing end up as 17 trillion in bail outs for the banks and millions of home owners foreclosed on? It's been a heckuva decade and a half hasn't it? Greed and corruption Roman style, I think!!!

War is money for somebody and death and blood for somebody else.

War is money!

History will show that very much like the Romans, that America was betrayed from within by corruption and greed by the powerful.

Greed will take the funds needed to repair a bridge or maintain a hospital or build a school and fix a road... whether over there or here back at home. But the one thing greed can't do is win a war.

We've been at it so long that we have trained our forces to function based on greed.

It's the way things are done when democracy has no say in the country's wars. Business as usual during a war? Several wars? Forever war?

There's money to be made boys... what we need now is another war... said the Romans almost to the very end.

Exactly Wereflea, I've been reading "The Devil's Chessboard" by David Talbot, a significant part of the betrayal is pointed out there...

Well said Wereflea!

Great artlicle Tom!

But this is just the tip of the deception iceberg. I'm an ex-airline pilot. According to "Pilots for 911 Truth" after ten years of trying by professional pilots, an airline pilot submitted and finally got a FOIA request for the raw flight data recorder of American Flight 77 that supposedly hit the Pentagon and the identification strip was completely blank. When the individuals way back in 2001 who were involved in decoding the burned black box data were questioned, they revealed that the technician cried foul and exclaimed "Come On! This is Bullshit! What the hell is this supposed to be? We never accept this! We never decode a flight with the flight identifying information missing!" [paraphrasing to the best of my memory].

The FOIA pilot then discovered after having it decoded again fresh, that the vehicle had preformed and logged a number of Inertial Navigation platform updates in flight, which no airliner can do. Airliners can not update their inertial platform position in flight; they can only do "present position updates" which does not alter the sacred point the aircraft began moving from. Only on the ground, stationary, can they re-align the inertial platform after a process of usually 20 minutes (or 5 minutes fast-realign on newer nav units) without moving.

However, military cruise missiles do this (update inertial position) all the time with GPS with the civilian de-accuracy dither removed. Further, the B-757 is only subsonic and cannot be controlled at the 450 kt speeds recorded on this FOIA flight data memory storage device. B-757 redline is about 350 kts at Sea Level. Mach effects make the pilot lose control above this speed. It's also unlikely that a terrorist could perform a high-G 360 degree turn in extreme bank in the decent before hitting like the data reveals.

Why shoot themselves? Perhaps the Pentagram lost confidence in the hijackers ability to hit them with a convincing PNAC Pearl Harbor. One of the flights that hit the Twin Towers earlier barely clipped the corner of the building. It completely missed the center support structure of the tower, yet it fell anyway ("Pull it" Plan B). The 19 Saudi Hijackers were very likely trained by US defense firms who trained the Saudi Armed forces under contract (but that's a whole different story.) The simulators in Florida were paid for by ISI Pakistan, which received one-billion in cash in the past from CIA Operation Cyclone which created Al Qedia to fight the Soviet Invasion with Stinger Missiles back in the 80's.

For some strange reason, these revelations and circumstantial coincidences ten years after the fact, were uninteresting to Operation Mockingbird..., er, I mean, the US Mainstream Media when PF911T tried to contact them.

I am shocked, Shocked! That shoddy MSM Investigative Reporting is going on in this Establishment!

TJ

From what I saw on mainstream news, the thing that hit the Pentagon cannot have been a passenger aircraft. Nice neat hole and where were the bits of passenger aircraft? Simple as that.

I rather think that money could have been better used to fund a national public health service back in the USA. I find it ironic that the colonial rebels fought a war for independence over having to pay minimal taxes to the British Crown which had supported them quite expensively against the French, and yet now the USA spends 57c of the USAian tax the dollar on its military.

yup....usa history in school is indoctrination into stockholme syndrome

"Mission Accomplished."