Home | About | Donate

It’s Not Just O'Reilly And Weinstein: Sexual Violence is a ‘Global Pandemic’

It’s Not Just O'Reilly And Weinstein: Sexual Violence is a ‘Global Pandemic’

Valerie Dobiesz

According to World Health Organization estimates, one in three women worldwide will experience either physical or sexual violence in her lifetime, many of them before the age of 15.

Humanitarian organizations from the World Health Organization to the U.N. to the U.S. Agency for International Development have recognized that gender-based violence is not just a women’s issue. Addressing it requires working with men and boys, too, to counter the cultures of toxic masculinity that encourage or tolerate sexual violence.

Trump has demonstrated far more egregious behavior than Weinstein, O’Reilly and other abusers not only with his track record, but also his ongoing gloating about his track record and power to continue such behavior and condone it for others.

Why isn’t the brightest light being cast on the worst offender first ?

One candidate for president in 2016 bragged about being a pussy grabber.

The other candidate spent years defending her sexual predator husband by calling his accusers ‘bimbos,’ even after he paid several of them hush money.

Man, am I glad me and the wife never had kids.

[lady gaga and joe biden have a powerful message about sexual assault]
(> https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbpgw/lady-gaga-and-joe-biden-have-a-powerful-message-about-sexual-assault)

From the article:

“Men with lower educational levels… are more likely to commit sexual violence themselves.”

i doubt this. Men with higher educational levels will be better positioned to avoid public accusation, legal action, and statistical tabulation of their actions.

In any event, statistical differentiation among men based on correlation with educational levels should not make anyone assume they are somehow safer with higher-educated men. The deeply rooted problem of male sexual assault crosses all socio-economic boundaries, and should be addressed by everyone.

I just bought a personal alarm. The city where I have lived all my life and always felt safe on its streeets, is changing. I started to get scared taking the streetcar home at night after my university classes. All this news about male agression makes me more anxious. I am becoming more and more afraid of men. I am noting that their spontaneous conversations on the street are actually a form of agression. They would never do that to a man! The alarm is much better than packing heat. No one gets hurt!

Except that the abuse and assaults are nearly always from a partner or someone the woman knows. There is nothing wrong with carrying that alarm as a precaution. It is the feeling among many people that things are becoming more dangerous in public spaces when actually statistics show that violent crime of all sorts is lower than past decades.

I myself already sense too much irrational fear and distrust between citizens in our public spaces and conveyances. (especially toward black men - I still regularly see white people become visibly uncomfortable if a black man walks past them on the sidewalk).

The only role that education level may have that it too-often translates to a low income level and a shitty job. Anxiety and frustration over making ends meet with dead-end disempowering job is certainly correlated to household domestic violence toward spouses and children of all sorts.