Home | About | Donate

It’s Time to Transform the War Economy

It’s Time to Transform the War Economy

Brock McIntosh

This piece is adapted from a speech given by Brock McIntosh at a mass meeting for the Poor People’s Campaign.

I’m here to speak to you today about one of Dr. King’s triple evils: militarism. As an Afghanistan War veteran, I’d like to highlight an aspect of his warning about militarism, when he said, “This way of… injecting poisonous drugs of hate into the veins of peoples normally humane… cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice and love.”

Yay! More equality is the answer.

Got it Brock. We also need more veterans to come forward and take a stand. I’m now going to google veterans against war to see what’s up.

In Suroweicki’s “The Wisdom of Crowds”, about 150 people were asked to guess how many jelly beans were in a jar (with 4,500 jelly beans). Guesses varied from 400 jelly beans to 40,000. Once all the answers were added together and divided by 150, the total came to almost 4,500 jelly beans, the actual amount in the jar.

Similar statistical testing on different things were carried out with seemingly magical results. The collective answers came very close to, or equalled the actual count, despite the fact that no one knew the right answer.

Its not hard to see how successful direct democracies like the Swiss and Mondragon’s bring the most benefit to the greatest number.

Would 300 million people vote for war profits?

"Of course the people don’t want war. But after all, it’s the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

— Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

Thanks for calling it what it is, a war economy. Brought to us by the War Dept. When you spend 53% of you’re GDP on munitions, what else would it be.
Brock, welcome back from the dark side.

Thank you for your story and efforts for a society that works for all, not just the wealthy.

Peace.
ths.

Issue silos can be as deadly as missile silos