Home | About | Donate

'It Was a Fake Meat Shortage': Reporting Suggests Industry Sacrificed Workers During Pandemic to Keep Exports Moving

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/17/it-was-fake-meat-shortage-reporting-suggests-industry-sacrificed-workers-during

4 Likes

Profits before people.

2 Likes

Three categories of workers in murka :

1. non-essential
  2. essential
  3. sacrificial
12 Likes

Reminds me of the Ethiopian famine, during which grain exports were continuing. Neo-liberalism uber alles.

On the other hand even if there was a shortage, humans are omnivores-just look at your teeth- and can subsist without meat if you eat complimentary proteins. Fish and poultry are more healthy anyway, and much more ecological; heavy consumption of beef is somewhat associated with cancer.

Those conventional meat plants and their feed lots are cesspools anyway.

8 Likes

Our three groceries have NO meat. Some scragglie lookin chicken is all.

Lotz of lying, fake shortages to raise prices and profits on necessary commodities too.

What’s coming for natural gas, water, education and food?

It is 1 PM central.
Wondering what el trumpo will blurt out soon to make sure he has 45 minutes of every news hour on cable opinion channels this evening.

2 Likes

#’s 1 and 3 are interchangeable.

1 Like

We also have the plant protein products that are good and better than meat.

8 Likes

I first read the headline as there was a “fake meat” shortage and I thought that’s funny I have no trouble buying vegan sausages at Trader Joe’s. One look at the picture and I see my mistake.

Certainly fish is more healthy but there are nowhere near enough fish to go around and our oceans are in bad shape because of overfishing (and pollution). So I worry about too much fish substitution. And poultry is a huge environmental mess - I guess it is less impact than cows but moving to mostly plants and small amounts of fish (not for me - I’m happy to be vegan) is way better.

4 Likes

Meanwhile in the hardest hit area of NYC…

“WE NEED PROTEIN” — CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC DEEPENS NEW YORK’S HUNGER CRISIS

~https://theintercept.com/2020/06/16/coronavirus-hunger-crisis-nyc/

So they lied about the shortage to get Trump to declare they were essential and force workers back to work. It put people at risk, and some died, to keep up shipments to China.
Smithfield (the largest) is owned by China.
~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods

And what will happen? nothing.

4 Likes

Right you are about the Fisheries

Science study predicts collapse of all seafood fisheries by 2050
~https://news.stanford.edu/news/2006/november8/ocean-110806.html

2 Likes

Fish and birds are just as abused by industrial production as are mammals, as they, too, are sentient beings.

Going 100% plant-based is even healthier than consuming fish and birds.

In addition, with unchecked human overpopulation, the demand for fish and poultry will skyrocket thus rendering ineffective any ecological gains with half-way measures. Go vegan, and no one gets hurt.

2 Likes

The question to be answered is, “How much of that meat is infected with Covid-19?”

1 Like

O.M.G.! This industry has one-worsed what the British landlords of Ireland did during the misnamed Potato Famine! In every year except 1848, when ALL the harvests were poor, other crops such as wheat, barley and oats did well but the landlords decided they had to ship all that to England in order to pay their debts from all their high living! And now this industry deliberately puts its workers in harm’s way in order to keep EXPORTS moving!!?!
I think of an all-too-appropriate expression: Saints preserve us!!!

2 Likes

Another question that needs research: CAN meat become infected with COVID-19?

2 Likes

I would think so. Cats, dogs and humans can be infected… and they/we are meat.

2 Likes

If you eat it raw--------I would think cooking it would kill any virus------I didn’t eat red meat for about 20 yrs-----I do eat grass fed beef today and it has improved my health-----omega threes----

Community healthcare centers in every neighborhood
And small local organic farms

1 Like

Fake meat shortage and fake Covid Apocalypse Now. Plandemic, pure and simple. Fear mongering raised to an artform by the media and megalomaniacs.

It is not as if meat is an essential food. In fact, it is an inefficient way to eat and it appears to be generally harmful to our health. Many physicians are now recommending a mostly plant-based diet as the way to avoid many threatening illnesses and lengthen life.

1 Like

Where oh where will I get my fish oil capsules then?

Our Pick n Save has a full meat counter daily, and a fish and meat deli. Fresh salmon every day.