Home | About | Donate

It Wasn’t All Bad: 5 Signs of Positive Change in 2016

It Wasn’t All Bad: 5 Signs of Positive Change in 2016

Sarah van Gelder

It was a year blown up by the election results. There are now two very different 2016s—the one before and the one after we learned that Donald Trump would become president of the United States.

...Contaminate the water and the soil, and we poison ourselves.

Just as with fracking, we are committing protracted suicide.

I think you need to look at the broader picture. Possibly, what we can expect now is to see the rich essentially do to the middle class what the middle class already did to the poor. Twenty years into our war on the poor, I think many young middle classers don't even grasp this issue.

Think about it: In real life, not everyone is able to work (health, etc.), and there aren't jobs for all. The US shut down/shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare aid in the 1990s. The last I heard there are 7 jobs for every 10 jobless people who still have the means to pursue one (home address, phone, etc.). What did you think happens to all those who have been left out?

Many knew that Obama represented our last chance to turn things around. He raised the issue of our poverty crisis a few times, but by the time that Occupy itself was successfully redefined as a middle class workers movement, we knew it was over. Democrats then selected the most anti-poor candidate available, Hillary Clinton -- a leader in this era's war on the poor.

Sarah is on target with PATHS , and reasons for hope & effort.

So true. Transformation often occurs as a result of suffering which Trump will likely bring to many people.

Only four comments. Are CDer's are sticking their heads in the sand? Too uncomfortable a subject matter to respond to I guess. Sunshine pump article. Everything is great!

The North Pole was almost above freezing in the middle of December! Bad Omen. What's it going to be like next summer? Hell? And almost nobody on this planet wants to talk about the Brontosaurus in the room: Overpopulation which, left unchecked, guarantees extinction of the Naked Ape, along with currently 200 species per day going extinct. This week, it's reported that the Cheetah is down to about 7000 left in the wild. In Singapore, on the Equator, it's so hot they feed ice cream to the Zoo animals there to help them make it through the afternoon.

Here in the Tropics, it's 92 degrees in December and we just had a Supertyphoon on Christmas! For decades it was in the 80's here and Supertyphoons were rare. Scary. No wonder Trump is impressed with air conditioning companies like Carrier. He knows they are growth industries. It's going to get so hot, none of us are going to make it, imho.

Auto companies are endeavoring to put another billion peasant drivers on the road in China and India. No amount of conservation is going to offset that!

Goodbye mammals! We hardly knew you!

Excellent and insightful article. As a people we need to unite and build on what is good.

If I could give you 10 likes for mentioning overpopulation, I would do it. It still amazes me when my friends (who are still of child-bearing years) talk about climate change in one breath and the next breath talk about how their three kids are driving them crazy (or in one case, how anxious she is to have her FOURTH cbild).

What happened to people's ability to connect the dots to their own behaviour?