Home | About | Donate

'It's a Sure Winner—Except for the Profiteers': 200+ Economists Send Letter to Congress Endorsing Medicare for All

'It's a Sure Winner—Except for the Profiteers': 200+ Economists Send Letter to Congress Endorsing Medicare for All

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Ahead of a historic single-payer hearing at the House Budget Committee on Wednesday, more than 200 economists sent a letter to Congress blasting America's "exorbitant and wasteful" healthcare system and endorsing Medicare for All as the most humane and cost-effective solution.

7 Likes

Four notable names not on the list: Paul Krugman, Jared Bernstein (Biden’s economic adviser), Joseph Stiglitz and Brad DeLong. Keynesians-minus-the-New Deal.

6 Likes

Damned FACTS getting in the way again. LOL

1 Like

Well 200 to 4 out of the gate ain’t bad. Bet more jump on the MFA side before too lone

3 Likes

Not those four.

Only one that concerns me is Stiglitz . Maybe we’ll find out why at some point.
Krugman has always been a Clinton stooge and as her highness has said

Single-payer health care will “never, ever” happen

5 Likes

I would like to see the economic argument against single payer that makes logical sense. Cause none of them that I have read to this point do.

7 Likes

Health Over Profit for Everyone wants people to contact committee members. They say Jayapal’s Medicare for All bill, HR1384, is a true single payer bill:

https://mailchi.mp/creativeresistance/urgent-take-action-today-for-medicare-for-all

4 Likes

I would rather gargle with sand than say this but…I think I may have to agree with Hillary when she said, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-single-payer-health-care-will-never-ever-happen/.
I am beginning to think that “big health” is going to be able to stave off all attempts at their demise and be sent off fading into the shadows of other past robber barons.

I HOPE I’M WRONG!

Joan, in this country, anymore, “sense” is hardly ever made, especially when it is spewed from the mouths of the politicians and corporate media.

3 Likes

About the only argument I’ve heard against single payer is- gov’t can’t run anything. Sure such an argument is ignorance and stupidity at its most but people lean that way.

Yeah, I am talking about thoughtful critiques. The data shows the government is more efficient at a wide range of things, healthcare being one of them. Anyone can spout off bumper stickers.

4 Likes

Never Give UP!

Logged in to say “i see the craven and cowardly Krugman copped out.”

5 Likes

If 200 economists endorsed medicare for all, How many of those economists voted democrat? It seems clear that even if the answer is most of them, or all of them, then their actions cancel each other out. Democrats disenfranchise progressives, and alienate their vote, and in short they are the strongest ally republicans have, and republicans cannot fail to win on any Issue while they have a democrat insured majority. Only true progressives can make forward progressive progress, not these double agent, right wing, red dog democrats we have today.

6 Likes

“Except the profiteers.”

But isn’t that the problem? The profits of shareholders having priority over all else? The fact that both parties cater to the owners and give diddly to the rest of us? Isn’t that unifying problem that animates everything wrong with our society? Profits over people?

5 Likes

Yes, as expected. When the fight for MFA gets hot, he will be on the wrong side blasting away and punching left from his perch at the NYT. It might be instructive to find out where the chief economic advisers of the Dem candidates are on MFA. We are about to experience a tsunami of BS about where their bosses stand.

1 Like

Also no Robert Kuttner or Mark Weisbrot which somewhat surprised me. Of course Robert Pollin, Dean Baker, and (though some here like @Callmeskeptical don’t like him, I still do for now) Jeffery Sachs are on the list.

Hopefully the list is open and more can sign on.

2 Likes

Well, it’s certainly not a sure winner since Americans love their Cadillac health insurance, which Medicare For All is not…

It’s not that I don’t like him…I simply do not know whether should put my trust in him. The economic horror he devised for the people of the Soviet Union was ungodly; but, I’ve never read anything close to him having any regrets about his role in that devastation.

Obviously, he’s a very intelligent person. But, it’s as though he’s, perhaps, developed into a different person than he once was.

2 Likes