Home | About | Donate

'It's Not Just One District': Ocasio-Cortez Pushes Back Against Nancy Pelosi's Dismissal of Progressive Wave

'It's Not Just One District': Ocasio-Cortez Pushes Back Against Nancy Pelosi's Dismissal of Progressive Wave

Julia Conley, staff writer

Arguing that her win is part of a much larger political shift in the country, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is pushing back vehemently after House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi dismissed the New York Democrat's stunning victory in the state's 14th congressional district on Tuesday as an isolated incident.

YOU GO WOMAN!!!

Solidarity

Just the mere fact that Nancy Pelosi can say what she said is proof that the Democrats efforts at stopping progressives from succeeding has in large part been successful. They are really good at what they do…lie, cheat and steal. Progressives are really stupid at being sucked into the same con over and over again.

We stand with you, NOT Pelosi!

From the article:

“The fact that in a very progressive district in New York it went more progressive…is about that district. It is not to be viewed as something that stands for anything else.”
—said future former-Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, whistling past the graveyard…

Time for my fellow Californians in San Francisco to rid themselves and the rest of us of their so-called progressive congresswoman. She is one of those preventing a refreshing change in her party. NOW IS THE TIME. Could someone please have the guts to come forward and launch a writei - in campaign opposing this corporatist who cares not one iota for the rest of us, she’s too busy raising money for her colleagues all year long. ugly.

Never ever forget…“impeachment is not on the table”.

Please, join the DS of A.

Maybe not.

Pelosi is likely bought in so deeply that she cannot make another bet, a bit like Clinton when she made the obvious PR faux pas of re-hiring Wasserman-Schultz. She probably had to do it to hold the team together under the threat of whatever else threatened to surface.

2016 was a debacle for the Democratic right, probably more than for progressives. It does not mean that progressives will stop being hoodwinked. But are we really certain so many have to wake up to oust Pelosi? Being central to a series of scams is not always stable.

For years the party of civility has said we shouldn’t vote for progressives because the democrats need to compromise and drift right in order to win general elections. Nancy’s attitude here and her bitter defensiveness clearly show that winning wasn’t the main motivation for their drift.

Political language = NLP = propaganda. So I’m quite disappointed with the CD wording in the article as follows:
“Pelosi later dismissed the notion that Ocasio-Cortez’s victory was indicative of an ascendent progressive movement that could replace establishment, more centrist Democrats like Crowley and herself.”
The key propaganda word is “centrist.”
Centrist is meant to imply balance, rational, not extreme.
Leftist is meant to imply commie or extreme.
Pelosi is a neoliberal, wealthy elite, corporate-owned Democrat.
Those aren’t NLP propaganda words, those are accurate descriptions.
Pelosi’s smarmy, smug, arrogant, rich bit*h dismissal of Ocasio’s victory is typical of her and the rest of the corporate-owned Dems.
Pelosi is a traitor just like most of the GOP is.
I despise her, Manchin, Heitkamp, Schumer et al.

May she reach the graveyard sooner rather than later. She’s a GOP ally and an enemy of true progressive values.
She’s a 1%-er wealthy elite:

“I think that we’re in the middle of a movement in this country…but that movement is going to happen from the bottom up. That movement is going to come from voters.”

Unless voters have as much bribery staying power to politicians as banks, corporations, oligarchs and Wall Street gamblers, how can this movement last? How can the public take back their government from the ruling crass?

Grassroots Democracy secured by Blockchain and achieved by Cellphone voting would give us near 100% voter turnout.

F-off Pelosi! Sorry, becoming so disgusted with party leaders cohorts with keeping things as they are and really just letting repug thugs rule the day.

Where are the dems Constitutional scholars? Like Obama? well he wasn’t hope and change we dreamed of but they should be putting together a legal team of Constitutional lawyers and get all these politicians convicted of crimes against this nation’s Constitution. Everyday repug thugs are overthrowing the Constitution to their will, eliminating separation of powers. What happened to the three branches of government being a check and balance. Doesn’t the Constitution same something about that. Doesn’t the Constitution protect all Americans?

I know very little but all these politicians know or should know the Constitution and some more than others. But they don’t want to give up their power and money sources. What wrong with that picture. Where are the dem scholars?
Where are the dem scholars?

Pelosi is an ossified dunce who should learn to keep her mouth shut.

I am disappointed that you criticize instead of just pointing out that maybe centrist is not the correct term to use for these corporate dems/neoliberals.

We the people need to stick together and not accuse fellow liberal/progressives of wrong wording and maybe a 1 out of 99 posts made incorrectly.

There are a few on this site that criticize instead of educating.

The data that I have seen shows that Pelosi is right based on the primaries so far but additional data may show that there is a progressive wave. But progressives always claim there is a progressive wave so really there is nothing new here. As I have noted a few miles north of the district where Ocasio-Cortez won, Elliot Engel, who has served for about three decades in the House, easily defeated two progressive candidates. I think both progressives and centrists have had a lot to celebrate in the primaries so far. With all the centrists victories I haven’t heard them claim there is a centrist wave. Maybe because they are centrists and heading toward the middle isn’t very exciting. Ocasio-Cortez has the energy and Pelosi has the data. But the main thing to me is that the blue wave is real. If not, things are going to get much worse and they are already pretty horrible. Without a blue wave the US may never recover and it may simply goes down some fascist hole until existential crisis prediction about climate change become realized.

We need to gut the whole system from all of these career politicians in both major parties. Elections are also rigged w big money and advertising and purging of votes off of voter rolls.

Elections 2018: Voting Rights Under Attack

This should be our rallying cry as we fulfill Martin Luther King’s idea of a radical restructuring of this society which means a society where no one is rich and no one is poor. Solidarity!

Pelosi’s statement reminds me of the King of England’s July 4, 1776 diary entry that read “nothing of consequence occurred today”.

At least the limited communications of the era gave the King an excuse. There is no excuse for Pelosi.

Yes, there are a “few” fossils in their party. Time they move over or get pushed out to make way for the future so we can get about the business of undoing all the damage to Mother Earth and any hope for meaningful lives for future generations.